PDA

View Full Version : New Hawai'i 5-0?

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Anyone here watching the new Hawai'i 5-0? What's your opinion? I grew up watching the old show with Jack Lord. I'm disappointed they did not use a single kama'aina in the cast making it less acceptable for many locals especially when they fake the pidgin talk, and mispronounce Hawaiian words. Yes I know the main audience is the Mainland and I'm sure Mainlanders are eating it up. The producers should ask for more local input before making up names. Kono Kalakaua? Kukui High School? Sheesh.
http://www.kukuihigh.com/yearbook/ ;)

mm stan
10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Anyone here watching the new Hawai'i 5-0? What's your opinion? I grew up watching the old show with Jack Lord. I'm disappointed they did not use a single kama'aina in the cast making it less acceptable for many locals especially when they fake the pidgin talk, and mispronounce Hawaiian words. Yes I know the main audience is the Mainland and I'm sure Mainlanders are eating it up. The producers should ask for more local input before making up names. Kono Kalakaua? Kukui High School? Sheesh.

Ha ha..I know what you mean....we need the local flair to comprehend...not only the
actors and actress, but the writers too....overly hollywood dramatic....like ukulele
music, they need to slow down the tempo to get the sweet flow...missing the feel
as of yet...maybe in the second season they will get more relaxed and accustomed
working with each other....Still kinda raw and brash....MM Stan...

Lori
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I have seen the first two episodes. Very nice photography, especially the helicopter shots. I might not have tried it, except I liked Daniel Day Kim from LOST. They haven't given him enough to do yet, because they are setting up the main two characters first. I think they are a little over-the-top with the automatic weapon/ car crashing action (it is probably standard these days for police crime shows) but it leaves me feeling that that is an unreal world (shouldn't be happening every week anyway). Maybe, after they develop the character relationships better, they can tone down the torture/violence. We really can't have a lead character be a torturer. If Dano can sway him back onto the hero path, then there is hope. The actors are good, and the quality of the writing promising.
I used to watch the old show too.
–Lori

sukie
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I watched part of the first show and have the rest taped for later. I just want to watch it for the scenery.

molokinirum
10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I am with Ahnko and mm stan here. I grew up watching and loving the original 5-0. I was really excited to see the show come back. I watched the first night and .............. what a big dissapointment!!! The only part about the show I liked were the EXTREMELY brief shots of Hawaii. The characters are way over the top!! I tried to watch the 2nd episode and changed the channel, it's terrible and non-belivable. And add to that no locals in the cast...what a shame, what a shame!!!

Coconut Willie
10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I watched it and did not like it. I have seen the original Hawaii 5-0 but the new one was horrible. No way is that how the police operate with those weapons, cars etc.

sukie
10-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I watched it and did not like it. I have seen the original Hawaii 5-0 but the new one was horrible. No way is that how the police operate with those weapons, cars etc.

Well, what shows are realistic? Movies are always over the top with special effects.

wickedwahine11
10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I watch it mainly because of the scenery and I am a fan of both D. Kim and G. Park from prior shows. That being said, I'm not a big fan of McGarrett so far. And the scenery is woefully underused. But hey, this kama'aina at heart will take her Hawaii any way she can get it. If nothing else, I would tune in just for the opening credits for the theme song and shot of the Hawaiian Airlines plane. I try to get to Hawaii a few times a year, and that is never enough. Hawaii is my drug, so this is my weekly fix.

Lori
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I watch it mainly because of the scenery and I am a fan of both D. Kim and G. Park from prior shows. That being said, I'm not a big fan of McGarrett so far. And the scenery is woefully underused. But hey, this kama'aina at heart will take her Hawaii any way she can get it. If nothing else, I would tune in just for the opening credits for the theme song and shot of the Hawaiian Airlines plane. I try to get to Hawaii a few times a year, and that is never enough. Hawaii is my drug, so this is my weekly fix.

Yes, I think they are missing the point. That Hawaiian scenery looks awesome on my HD TV, and they should spend more time outdoors, and less in warehouses. If they could make the crime stuff/ "heavy handed action" be less important, and the exotic location and the "fish-out-of-water" humor more dominant, it might be a show worth watching. I haven't seen a single ukulele yet! Maybe there was one in last night's episode... haven't seen that yet.
–Lori

molokinirum
10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, I think they are missing the point. That Hawaiian scenery looks awesome on my HD TV, and they should spend more time outdoors, and less in warehouses. If they could make the crime stuff/ "heavy handed action" be less important, and the exotic location and the "fish-out-of-water" humor more dominant, it might be a show worth watching. I haven't seen a single ukulele yet! Maybe there was one in last night's episode... haven't seen that yet.
–Lori

Lori, I agree with you 100%! My problem is that I grew up watching the original 5-0 and am having a very hard time with the new 5-0. And like wicked sez, Hawaii is my drug, can't seem to get enough and thought the new 5-0 would help!!
Also...in Hawaii and NO UKES???????

sukie
10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Aaah, but the scenery...........

If you live in the midwest you can't ever get enough pictures of paradise.

molokinirum
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Aaah, but the scenery...........

If you live in the midwest you can't ever get enough pictures of paradise.

LOL...I live in the East and I can't get enough pictures of paradise!!!!

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
All that automatic weapons fire featured in every episode so far is SO fake, things like this never happen here. It gives the impression these types of weapons are easily accessible, and readily used here which could not be further from the truth. In fact gun crimes in general don't happen here. I hope Mainlanders watching realize this, and can separate fact from fantasy. The producers need to get local writers in on stories that are more true to nature here. New Jersey mobs, Serbian Terrorists? Give me a break! Butchering the language bad enough a "local" (Dae Kim) saying "Hanalulu"... ARGH.

olgoat52
10-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Certainly not as authentic as say "Magnum P.I." :p:cool:

They lost me when they came up with the backstory or why "danno" is called "danno"... LAME!!!

Kanaka916
10-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Eh Ahnko - much mahaloz fo da link to KHS. I wondah whose brainchild dat one is. And, the Alma Mater, das too much . . . I still stay laughing. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I goin post da lyrics. :shaka:

Kukui High School Alma Mater
Sung to the tune of “This Old Man”

Kukui High, Kukui High,
Raise Your Nuts Up To The Sky!
When You Grab Them, Sing Out Strong,
Let The World Hear Kukui’s Song!
Kukui’s Nuts Are Big and Bold,
There to Love and There to Hold,
So Grab Your Nuts and Don’t Be Shy,
Show Your Nuts for Kukui High!

mm stan
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
All that automatic weapons fire featured in every episode so far is SO fake, things like this never happen here. It gives the impression these types of weapons are easily accessible, and readily used here which could not be further from the truth. In fact gun crimes in general don't happen here. I hope Mainlanders watching realize this, and can separate fact from fantasy. The producers need to get local writers in on stories that are more true to nature here. New Jersey mobs, Serbian Terrorists? Give me a break! Butchering the language bad enough a "local" (Dae Kim) saying "Hanalulu"... ARGH.

ha ha , I didn't like the open sequence in the first episode too...what are they thinking?????Whoever is making all the decisions should be replaced...bad bad move..
Good thing the original series has a good standing and will hopefully not be associated with this. Wake up call.....or there will be no second season in my opinion.
Sorry for be so hard, MM Stan..

olgoat52
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

They probably didn't want to resort to subtitles....

Ukulele JJ
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I mostly just watch it for the scenery too...

http://www.koreanbeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grace-park-hawaii-8.jpg

JJ

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Eh Ahnko - much mahaloz fo da link to KHS. I wondah whose brainchild dat one is. And, the Alma Mater, das too much . . . I still stay laughing. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I goin post da lyrics. :shaka:

Kukui High, Kukui High,

Now those lyrics are worthy of song contest!

Did you know you can become a alma mater of Kukui High? ;)

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Certainly not as authentic as say "Magnum P.I." :p:cool:

Are you telling me Magnum PI wasn't real??? :confused: ;)

Ronnie Aloha
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think anyone actually believes there is automatic machine gun fire going on all over the island. That's like saying there are firefights all over Miami with CSI. Nor do I believe the audience thinks there is a real "5-0" unit or "Kukui High School."

I lived in a household in Hawaii where the kids were not allowed to watch television on school nights while growing up. The ONLY exception was Hawai'i 5-0.

I loved the original series. I also enjoy watching the show in its current form. I just take it for what it is, a fictitious series. In addition, although the main characters are not "locals" DDK has made his roots in Hawai'i since "Lost" and has given back so much to the community that I would consider him a Kamaa'ina at heart. Further, there are numerous supporting roles available to locals and the money that the show brings to the islands is huge. For those like Lori and Staci who watch it just for the beautiful scenes of Hawai'i and would keep it in their minds for their future vacations, then it will also serve a useful purpose to the economy.

If "5-0" fails it will be a huge blow to the economy. For that reason alone it should be supported by those who love Hawai'i.

Ronnie Aloha
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Kukui High, Kukui High,

LOL!!! Freaking Hilarious! Kanaka, you got too much time on your hands (in addition to your kukui nuts)

Pueo
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
The producers should ask for more local input before making up names. Kono Kalakaua? Kukui High School? Sheesh.
;)

How about the villian's name? Saimin? Really?
It's kind of a bummer, because I want to like it, I really do!

olgoat52
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you telling me Magnum PI wasn't real??? :confused: ;)

Absolutely not. It was 100% accurate for it's time. I would never kid about something like that!!

Mr Bill
10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi Ahnko Honu,

Similar story here, thought the original was great, the new one, well not so good.
Seems that it appeals to the under 25 crowd, spend less money on bullets and more on writers.
Two other oldies I liked were "Hawiian Eye" and "Adventures in Paradise"
Maybe it'll get better, looking forward to an episode at the ukulele factory.

Cheers,

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I've been uploading episodes of Hawaiian Eye, used to be my dad's favorite show. Robert Conrad, and Connie Stevens sure look like kids back then.
Back in '81 I wanted to try Mainland life and wound up living in McCall, Idaho and freezing my butt solid with 20 below weather. One of my few pleasures of home was watching Magnum P.I. and seeing my warm home especially my old stomping grounds in Waimanalo and Makapu'u, helped to keep me warm. :D

I believe the new Hawai'i 5-0 is already considered a hit so I see it lasting at least another season, Mainlanders love this fantasy view of Hawai'i.
Ronnie you'll be amazed at how many ignorant visitors I've come across who believe the stuff they had seen on Magnum PI, Hawai'i 5-0 etc. and the general warped view of Hawai'i based on watching TV shows. Many shows portray locals as ignorant and helpless without the white man there to deliver them. I hope the story lines improve.
As far as the LOST cast they were not looked upon very favorably in my dad's neighborhood in Kailua. They were renting a house about 5 doors down, and were arrested several times for drunken disorderly conduct and DUI, and they eventually burned that house down! I don't consider DDK a kama'aina, he's the worst at butchering the Hawaiian language of the whole cast, and he should be the best.

Ronnie Aloha
10-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Ahnko,

Poncie Ponce is my buddy up here!

I know there are ignorant people who actually believe the fictional things on TV. However, I would hope they are in the extreme minority. Also, I know about the escapades of DDK and the Lost cast. However, there are tons of local borns in Hawaii jails.

At least DDK gives back more than he takes. Looks at Hannemann versus Abercrombie. Mufi played the "I'm local, he's not" card and lost. People voted for the one that they felt did more for Hawaii. I'm not even a fan of DDK, he's just a dude on the tube for me. Just cuz he butchers the Hawaiian language doesn't make him an outsider. To me, those who love the land in their hearts are the true "locals."

Don't get me wrong, I wish there were more locals in the lead roles. Heck, I wish they were all locals. However, I find it hard to castigate the actors for what is ultimately the producers decisions. Regardless, this is worlds better than having a Caucasian actor play Charlie Chan.

I know we can debate this for a long time so I'll just leave this as my last post.

Also, Kukui High IS real...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/kukuihigh (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/kukuihigh)

Good luck with your operation. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

10-05-2010, 09:03 PM
keah, Uncle, you just ruined the show for me. have the episodes on DVR, but i think i'll be forever disgusted if i watched the show now. i do want to see how Hawaiians are portrayed on the show, but it will probably play on the typical stereotypes which continue to box us in -- savages or exotic. makes it hard to believe that Hawaiians are anything but water people and wear anything but bikinis. do hawaiians have jobs other than blue collar work or models? do we all hate haole people?

and please don't get me on with my tirade against the concept of "kama`aina." for me it's akin to "aloha spirit". yes, Uncle, I'm one of those Hawaiians. so jaded...

Hawai`i show with no `ukulele? what's worse is a Hawai`i show with no Hawaiians!

edit: response to Ronnie,

Eo Ronnie,
Why shouldn't DDK be held accountable for his complete butchering of `Olelo and pidgin? Yet another outsider, who loves the Hawai`i myth but can not stand Hawaiians and Locals for that matter. How long was LOST filming? He never go outside Hawai`i Kai? Even my wife, when catch on. I'd rather tolerate Jason Scott Lee's watered down Lilo and Stitch Pidgin than someone not doing their homework. Not pronouncing Honolulu right? inexcusable. what it tells me, is the producers are trying to pass any Asian as Local. and that's kukae.

And please don't try to redefine "true" Locals. Seventh Generation, 'nuff said.

I won't address the Local born in prison, that's a whole new can of worms.

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Ronnie all I can say is you stay Mainland too long. ;) I'm not blaming DDK for bad acting, the producers made a poor choice in DDK as far as many of us locals are concerned but in Hollywood what us locals think don't mean anything. DDK has face recognition from his LOST days which makes him marketable and that's the bottom line MONEY. Authenticity don't mean crap to the producers. Koreans playing Hawaiians is just as bad as a Haole playing a Chinese. Just because the general public can't tell the difference don't make it right. Hollywood celebrities who live here are under the public scrutiny and should make a greater effort to represent themselves in a better light. After Michelle Rodrigues' 3rd DUI the producers FINALLY saw her as a liability to the show, and wrote her off. Good thing she never killed anyone in her regular drunken state. Just because there are locals in Hawaii's jails does not excuse the conduct of these malihinis. DDK is not kama'aina, he is Hollywood who happens to live here part time for his job.
It took a local to make Kukui High "real", and he did in a matter of days after first show, pretty amazing though come on... Kukui? Could the producers have come up with a lamer name? You think they consulted any Hawaiians as far as names? I don't think so. What does Mufi vs Abercrombie have to do with how good this show is not?

Aloha Neal, e kala mai ia'u for ruining da show but you are right so far Hawaiians are either blue collar or criminals in this show except for the Korean Hawaiians who are cops.
They should have made McGarret a hapalua Hawaiian at least, and have him bossing around haole underlings now that would have made the show innovative but I'm sure it wouldn't sell to the Mainland audience.

Kanaka916
10-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Also, Kukui High IS real...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/kukuihigh (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/kukuihigh)

Ronnie, I no tink so . . . all made up.

RyRod
10-06-2010, 06:05 AM
For entertainment purposes, I really enjoy the show.

Of course I like the scenic and the gratuitous beach booty shots too.:cool:

I'm too young, so I have no clue about the original show. I've caught bits and pieces or re-runs, but it still doesn't help much.

My parents like the references to the old show though. Like the black Mercury and they're happy that they kept the theme mostly in tact.

I know what you local boys are talking about too because of Detroit 1-8-7. I'll start my own thread on that though.

rogue_wave
10-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I am a huge fan of the original show, and of course, never expected to see that matched on the new show. That said, I agree with your disappointment on the new show. I think what it is for me is that with the original, the characters were unique, the storylines were often very original, and at least from a mainlanders perspective, the scenery was very "local". This show is sufficiently adequate, but I feel like it is a pretty generic cop show, the characters are just rehashes of CSI's and the storylines are so far pretty unmemorable. The scenic shots are actually where I find the show the most disappointing. The way they are using the locale is extremely generic and not a part of the show. It has a distinctly Baywatch feel to it.

If you take a look at CBS's other crime shows- the CSI's to be exact, they go out of their way to give each show a distinct sense of place, the stories and situations could ONLY happen there. The original 5-0 did this as well. I have said before that I think the the original 5-0, McGarrett and Danno are the prototypes for CSI Miami.

All this said, I'll probably keep watching, if only because it is available, not because I need to know what happens next.

FWIW- There are episodes of the original on CBS.com. The new one also, of course. Given the choice, I go retro every time.

10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
It took a local to make Kukui High "real", and he did in a matter of days after first show, pretty amazing though come on... Kukui? Could the producers have come up with a lamer name? You think they consulted any Hawaiians as far as names? I don't think so.

Rather than do some "damage" and endear themselves to the Hawaiian po`e, the Locals or both, by paying tribute to someone of Local historical significance, they failed by going an artificial route with "Kukui High". Why not George Ariyoshi High? Why not Joseph Nawahi High? Why not Eddie Aikau, Buffalo Keaulana, Frank Fasi? Why not Duke Kahanamoku? The show had a teaching opportunity, via peaking the curiosity of its viewers but failed to live up to the task, resorting to tired cliches. `Aue, Unko. So shame. People will watch this. People who miss Hawai`i, Peole who "love" Hawai`i. Even Local people, to see where the show stay and if they see anybody they know in the background. Of course, they are not expected to pay tribute or break the tired stereotypes, but that's the thing with the true Spirit of Hawai`i -- Respect. You don't do it because you're expected to do it, you do it, because you're supposed to. I'm sure "`Ohana" and "Aloha Spirit" will become a tiring theme again soon.

mm stan
10-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Auwe Hawaii 5-0,
That's what happens when everyone on the show is from the mainland and have no idea what's going on...I hope the producers and writers will wake up and hire some hawaiian local talent meaning
not only actors and actresses but hawaiian consultants and local people consultants that know the local language, culture and location. Seriously need some local writers too!! As 1014(Neal) said,
This show has so much potential to show the Pono of hawaii, and to attract visitors here and correctly portray our home. Hopefully they should have some respect for our people here and our
home in retospect of their poor moral issues and values..I hope they wake up and put the dreams of big money aside, as it may just collapse it their greedy faces....luckly the original progam will
not be associated with catastrophe and blunder...they had more class back then....just my two cents....

molokinirum
10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Auwe Hawaii 5-0,
That's what happens when everyone on the show is from the mainland and have no idea what's going on...I hope the producers and writers will wake up and hire some hawaiian local talent meaning
not only actors and actresses but hawaiian consultants and local people consultants that know the local language, culture and location. Seriously need some local writers too!! As 1014(Neal) said,
This show has so much potential to show the Pono of hawaii, and to attract visitors here and correctly portray our home. Hopefully they should have some respect for our people here and our
home in retospect of their poor moral issues and values..I hope they wake up and put the dreams of big money aside, as it may just collapse it their greedy faces....luckly the original progam will
not be associated with catastrophe and blunder...they had more class back then....just my two cents....

I am in agreement with mm stan. I am a mainlander, love Hawaii and especially the people who are the most proud, sincere, honest and warm people I have ever met. I grew up watching the original 5-0 and just believe that the original 5-0 was the better of the two. Just my opinion!

Lori
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I think it would be great to have a more authentic representation of Hawaii in television and movies, but that is probably unrealistic unless the people involved are dedicated to that goal. Most travel shows don't give you an accurate feeling for a place, so it is even harder when doing fiction that is in the crime/ action genre. It could be done certainly, bit by bit over the course of many shows. I think for now, in this tough economy, you should be glad to see a high profile show that might draw more travelers to Hawaii. As I stated before, I don't believe there are gunfights on the streets on Honolulu every day, and everything else is suspect too. But the beauty of the place is real. The contrast between the expensive condo communities and the more modest remotely located homes is startling. As a person who had my first visit last year, and had 10 days to explore, I can see it would take many visits to really see all Hawaii has to offer. If you want the producers of the show to put more effort into infusing the program with more accurate characters and settings, then you should contact them directly. If they can see that they will have a better show, with more viewers interested and entertained, then they might make some changes. Right now they seem to be after the action-oriented crowd, not the ones longing for a peaceful trip to the Islands.
–Lori

the52blues
10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I mostly just watch it for the scenery too...

http://www.koreanbeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grace-park-hawaii-8.jpg

JJ

Grace is really good scenery. She could arrest me and handcuff me anytime! LOL

10-08-2010, 11:40 AM
mahalo nui loa e Lori, WickedWahine (why'd you delete?) and the others who have shared their mana`o. e kala mai, if it seemed our frustrations over the show had spilled over to you.

speaking certainly only for myself, the frustration i have goes beyond the producers/writers of the show, but also those in Hawai`i that prostitute Hawai`i for their benefit. it certainly is beneficial that a prime time show exists to draw tourist money to the STATE, especially when the state is built as a banana republic based on tourism and the military only. but who really benefits? Hawai`i has real problems. Dog the Bounty Hunter, in its own right problematic, shed light on the widespread Ice problem in Hawai`i. I can't say for sure there is or is not gun fights in Town, but I know for a fact I wouldnt not roam KPT or parts of Waipahu at night. or day for that matter. Instead, the powers that be feed the general audience a make believe reality of Hawai`i down to the people. This keeps the money flowing to THEIR pockets.

Unfortunately, some people (who think for themselves) like yourselves are exceptions not the rule. along with tourists, Hawai`i also are invaded by one way ticket holding surfers and hippies who bought into the utopia being sold the Hawai`i Tourism and Visitor's Bureau. They stay, work for cheap, pay higher rents to displace Locals and Hawaiians. By the year 2020, there will be more Native Hawaiians on the Continental US than in Hawai`i! These people bought the casual Hawaiian Style life, the sponsored media is selling. These people then proceed to participate in the selling of Hawai`i. it's cyclical. O`ahu is nothing like the Hawai`i they sell, so now they invading Kaua`i, Maui (gone), Big Island, Lanai...

`Aue. i better stop. I apologize, but the show is like the Hawaiian Grammy awards... kukae.

wickedwahine11
10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
WickedWahine (why'd you delete?)

To be honest with you 1014, I wrote out of emotion, and thought that my first response was probably too emotional. As I stated in the deleted post, I have been traveling to Hawaii for about thirty years now (usually I have been fortunate enough to go 2-4 times per year). I love it (particularly Kauai) with all my heart. I completely understand yours (and Ahnko's) dissatisfaction with the show for its failure to include local actors and local culture. I also completely sympathize with (and agree to as much an extent as a mainlainder can) with your anger over the way your land was annexed. I not only love Hawaii for its scenery but also (and MAINLY) for its people and culture.

I make an effort to learn the hula (I suck) and the ukulele (I suck less but still suck) not just for the sake of doing so, but as an homage to this place that I love so dearly. If I could, I would move there in a second. And no, I don't believe I would live a Waikiki lifestyle of mai tais and sunshine...I would move to Koloa or Waimea in Kauai, where the chickens roam and you have to travel to see the beach. But it is the one place in the world where my heart feels at home.

I know that I am not of Hawaiian blood, and I am not a kama'aina or local, and never will be. Even if I am fortunate enough to get to move there in retirement, I will be a malihini. So I removed my response on this topic because of that fact. I will never be a local, so I didn't feel I should comment in the manner my original post did.

For those who didn't see it, the gist of it was this: I watch Hawaii 5-0 to get a small taste of Hawaii in my day to day life on the mainland. I know that it is not a realistic portrayal of the islands (any more than shows realistically portray Los Angeles or New York...they exaggerate or outright falsify things for dramatic effect). I, in fact, hate to see the commercialization of the islands (I dread the fact that soon, Kauai will become Maui, which has already become Oahu). I don't go to Hawaii for Starbucks or Nordstrom. And I don't think Hawaii 5-0 is reality. And I do think they should make an effort to make local culture (and actors) a greater part of the show.

I reacted immediately and rashly in response to what molokinirum wrote ("Yet the idiot befoons who claim they love Hawaii watch the show and ACTUALLY believe that that is how Hawaii is!!! What a disgrace!!!") and on retrospect, decided to delete it. I like molokinirum a lot, and I hope he didn't mean to include me in that group of disgraceful idiot buffoons...that is not my intent, and never has been. But I also don't believe in belittling those who love Hawaii. You don't have to live there to love it. Anyway, I'm quitting now, that was just my:2cents:

molokinirum
10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Nuff said.....I am sorry if I have offended anybody! The Hawaiians are awesome people as well as the people here at the UU!

Hawaii is paradise!!!

Aloha!

allie
10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I watch it :P I think it's alright but but my dad hates it because he said it's nothing like the original so basically I hear his comments every time there's a commercial haha. One of my teachers also said he went to elementary school near in the area the show takes place which is pretty cool

mm stan
10-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Aloha Kakou(hello everyone),
On a lighter note, I'm just wondering how the original poster of this thread is doing after his Back surgury, I haven't heard from him yet??
I hope you doing okay Ahnko Honu, God Bless and Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!! Malama Pono!!!! MM Stan...

Ukulele JJ
10-10-2010, 07:41 AM
he said it's nothing like the original

At least they had the good sense to keep the theme song basically the same.

(I heard that they originally had an updated version of the them, but everyone complained. So they re-recorded the old theme, even using some of the original studio players from the '70s version!)

JJ

Kanaka916
10-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Aloha Kakou(hello everyone),
On a lighter note, I'm just wondering how the original poster of this thread is doing after his Back surgury, I haven't heard from him yet??
I hope you doing okay Ahnko Honu, God Bless and Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!! Malama Pono!!!! MM Stan...
I think Ahnko goin be laid up couple a days, shua he goin let us guys know whas happening.

BadLands Bart
10-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Watched last nights show (10/11) and it wasn't too bad. Some scenes were over the top, like when McGarret called the Nave aircraft carrier to have them link up to the spy satelites to send down the picture and location of the bad guy he was chasing....and the Navy did!! (or was it a former girlfriend, not sure!)

RyRod
10-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I enjoyed this week's episode.

A little "hey soul sister" played on a KoAloha by a little kid and then ending the episode with some IZ was nice.

If you haven't seen it yet(westcoast people) keep a look out for the uke during the tent city scene.

molokinirum
10-26-2010, 03:51 AM

A little "hey soul sister" played on a KoAloha by a little kid and then ending the episode with some IZ was nice.

If you haven't seen it yet(westcoast people) keep a look out for the uke during the tent city scene.

Yeah, I agree last nights show, not too bad and the kid with the uke and Iz was a really nice touch!!

Mandarb
10-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Not sure if it is the same kid but it reminded me of this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5dgcg-4tY

10-26-2010, 08:16 AM

they showing the houseless?

RyRod
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Not sure if it is the same kid but it reminded me of this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5dgcg-4tY

it might have been the same kid. the hat is throwing me off though.

they showing the houseless?

yep. they spent a while there. they even explained that not everyone was a drug addict. some were bankers and managers that just wanted to live that lifestyle.

molokinirum
10-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Yes it was a kind of a modern hippy comune.

Ronnie Aloha
10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Danno Died

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/James_MacArthur_Danno_in_Hawaii_Five-0_dies_at_age_72.html

molokinirum
10-28-2010, 09:23 AM
RIP Danno, the original Five-0 was the best!

mm stan
10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
RIP...Jimmy!! only 72....original Hawaii 5-0 cast....no ka oi

11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
yep. they spent a while there. they even explained that not everyone was a drug addict. some were bankers and managers that just wanted to live that lifestyle.

i finally saw an episode, or at the least fast forwarded through one. two things: 1. that was a beautiful tent city. everyone seemed well groomed and no one red like the dirt. 2. NOBODY, wants to be houseless. well, no Kanaka Maoli. Some may make the sacrifice and leave ka `aina, as my dad mockingly puts it: continuing the legacy of migration. Others maintain the a`a (roots) in the land and this is by circumstance not choice.

i'm prob going to end up deleting the rest of the shows on my dvr.

mm stan
11-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Update...
On the new series, it seems that an Iron Chef Host, Mark will be playing Wo Fat.....He is the son for Hawaiian lengendary singer and awesome ukulele player Melveen Leed.......
Maybe the tides are changing for local talent....I certanily hope so!!!
As for the goverment bleeding the local people of high taxes and fees....making hard now even for the middle class to survive here....alot for home foreclosures...pages in the paper..
Sad Stuff......driving us out of the aina..... Politicians are copping out and are not trying to fix the main issues that plague our society..and not looking for solutions to balance the budget...
instead raiseing the taxes.. If they cannot successfully control the budget, what do you think they should do?????

Kanaka916
11-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Brah, his mom is Moriko McVey Dacoscos. Melveen Leed is related but I don't know in what way.

misterpk
11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Melveen Leed is his stepmother. At least according to wikipedia. :)

mm stan
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Aloha guys..
Mahalo guys for the correction, Sorry for the miss info..
Latest news, Jason Scott Lee has been signed on to play Detective Kaleo on monday night's show..

haoleerik
11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
hollywood never gets hawaii right. check out any movie or tv show about hawaii. they make up stupid restaurants, whats wrong with the real restaurants, schools, and place names? dog came close though, with all the batu smokers. but dog always arrested da guys at da airport or at borders or court. he never went to waianae to grab somebody. ah whatever

Kanaka916
11-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Aloha guys..
Latest news, Jason Scott Lee has been signed on to play Detective Kaleo on monday night's show..
Here's the interview by the Star Advertiser (http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/featuresstories/20101105_Jason_Scott_Lee_gets_Five-0_role.html) . . . btw, it's just a guest spot not a recurring role (for now). Anywayz, here's a vid of JSL about living Pono . . . Pono means righteousness . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjZv27dU7kA&feature=related

RyRod
11-06-2010, 02:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjZv27dU7kA&feature=related

Wow! that was pretty cool. Thanks for posting it. Jason still looks like he could beat you to a pulp like he did when he played Bruce.

molokinirum
11-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Mahalo Kanaka, that was a great video.

11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
maika`i the video, kanaka. mahalo for sharing.

Ukester Brown
11-25-2010, 03:42 AM
I watched one episode and decided that since TV is real I'm not going to Hawaii because it's too dangerous. That's also the reason I've not been to Miami or Las Vegas. Have you noticed there have never been crime movies about Minnesota? It's because we are too nice..... whoops, I forgot about Fargo fer pete's sake! (If you want to read a good crime book with Minnesota locations read something by Brian Freeman.....)

Hippie Dribble
01-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Wheeeeeeeeeeee......

We're finally getting it here in Australia. Starts tomorrow night. Can't wait. :D

Wesley S
03-25-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I saw a clip from an entertainment show about "50". Both the male leads were shown playing guitar. I didn't know either one was a musician. I couldn't tell if either one was any good but at least they know how to finger simple D and C chords.

Piikea
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I feel ya . All these shows feature great landscape and it's great to draw a waikiki crowd, but if only 10 seconds of what happens on the show were to really be true, Ole Neil would declare martial law here!!!

I liked the old one better featuring old Hawaii... why, Magarret could be on the Pali Hwy headed to Kailua and presto... he's in Kalailoa..all the older neighborhoods, Kalama, Kalihi, Kakaako, you never knew where they would be.

And anyone that knows HPD knows that "Laters Brah" is much more fitting than racing down Ala Moana to the site of the explosion!!!!

Thanks for that video, it reminds me of my friends place in the Punalu'u valley here on Oahu, lots of Loi planted for a Hawaiian Emersion School called Na' kama Lei. Shout out to Nalani!!!!