PDA

View Full Version : i am a horrible singer...........

N.O.uke
06-21-2008, 10:55 PM
so i just recorded myself for the first time and i actually heard how bad i am..............i cannot sign deceant even...........i will soon post a video of under the bridge and u guys will see............any advice?

NOT SING LOL

deach
06-22-2008, 01:12 AM
............any advice?

NOT SING LOL

LOL, I have been told the same thing many times. All the time, in fact... We should have a worst singer contest.

dhkane
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey, keep singing. Practice, practice practice. You'll get better. Its like playing the uke, keep practicing and you'll get better. As for myself.....I'm really good.......by myself, when no one else is listening:)

Take your favorite song and go on "youtube" to see if anyone else is singing it besides the main artist. Then just sing along. If the key is too high for your voice, traspose it down to where its comfortable for you. You'll have to learn different chords, just strum the major chords first, no fancy picking yet, until you master your singing. Sometimes its helpful to slow the tempo down.

If you go on "itunes", find your song. There's usually 3 or more artist singing it. You can listen to them for a minute or less, that helps too.

I sound great in the shower.:nana:

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Don't feel too bad. Hey, if you were using a webcam's built-in mic, then you might sound horrible not because of you, but because of the mic, and then hearing yourself back on the crappiest of crappy: computer speakers. Like on a telephone, everything above and below certain frequencies gets stripped. So like when you hear yourself on an answering machine and you think you sound funny - it's because of that and not because you actually sound funny.

You're among friends here. If you don't wanna post on youtube, then just post an mp3 (not too compressed - at least 320k bitrate to give yourself the best chance) and we'll give you constructive feedback on what's going right and wrong.

And if we laugh, it'll be with you, and not at you. :)

And I agree with dhkane, and as my favorite voice teacher said, everyone can learn to sing better than they do. Now everyone has their point where the improvements start to go south again, but you haven't found yours yet, I promise you that.

Sometimes in the worst voices, you can hear that spark, that little glimmer of what the voice really wants to sound like shining through. Practice, and you'll find yours.

seeso
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
When I first started singing, I was really bad. I mean really bad. I couldn't sing on key for the life of me. It took me many years to finally be comfortable with my voice, and it's still kind of weird.

Just practice, N.O.uke. You'll get better.

LonnaB
06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
When I first started singing, I was really bad. I mean really bad. I couldn't sing on key for the life of me. It took me many years to finally be comfortable with my voice, and it's still kind of weird.

Alright, seeso. You're so money, and we all know it!:)

hotnanas
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
LOL, I have been told the same thing many times. All the time, in fact... We should have a worst singer contest.

i'm gonna take home the trophy on this one!:mad:

la_ingrit
06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
maybe Im a terrible singer...but I dont care hahahahaha :rofl:

h-drix
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey, keep singing. Practice, practice practice. You'll get better. Its like playing the uke, keep practicing and you'll get better.

along with this make sure you continually record your self so you know where your going. Kinda like if i continue playing a wrong note in a song sooner or later its going to sound good TO ME cause thats how i always played it.

deach
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
along with this make sure you continually record your self so you know where your going. Kinda like if i continue playing a wrong note in a song sooner or later its going to sound good TO ME cause thats how i always played it.

great advice!

deadeye
06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
or u could learn some more technical songs...i can hook u up with a few sheet music ones if u want

ukeboypat
06-28-2008, 05:55 AM
i'm gonna take home the trophy on this one!:mad:

cliff i bet i could out bad sing? you any day lol

you saw my mr woodlands comp vid lol

N.O.uke
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM

definately.........lets record under the bridge and have a contest lol

Plainsong
06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
cliff i bet i could out bad sing? you any day lol

you saw my mr woodlands comp vid lol

Jeez! Your signature is insane! You should resize it as to not spam the people reading threads where you post, and thereby making them actually hate the band you're trying to plug. It takes up most of the screen for frak's sake! Not to mention the file size everyone is forced to download anytime you reply to or post a thread while using that insanely big signature. :rofl:

Here's a smaller version, and trust me, it's still plenty big for a banner signature.

Rubbertoe
06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Jeez! Your signature is insane! You should resize it as to not spam the people reading threads where you post, and thereby making them actually hate the band you're trying to plug. It takes up most of the screen for frak's sake! Not to mention the file size everyone is forced to download anytime you reply to or post a thread while using that insanely big signature. :rofl:

Hahaha! I thought the image had something to do with bad singing. I didn't even realize it was his signature!

Back to the subject though, i totally agree and whole-heartedly suggest recording yourself too (and comparing it to the version you're trying to sing). Most people don't realize how bad they sound until they record themselves. Or you could date a classically trained singer. That's what I did. They'll let you know FAST when you hit a bad note (AND you'll develop a thick skin to criticism).

h-drix
06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
i wont lie, if ukeboy posted in my threads and i saw him on a regular basis i would prolly put him on my ignore list. I have nothing against you ukeboypat, your posts are decent. its just that sig.

Elk
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
definately.........lets record under the bridge and have a contest lol

Neither of you's ain't nuthin' compared to me, yo.

I say, bring it! :rock:

:D

Yeah, see, I don't like my voice at all, but no one's told me to stop yet, so I'm going to keep on truckin'.

hotnanas
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Neither of you's ain't nuthin' compared to me, yo.

I say, bring it! :rock:

:D

Yeah, see, I don't like my voice at all, but no one's told me to stop yet, so I'm going to keep on truckin'.

...i've been told to stop...but I keep on truckin'.

yodiepants
07-31-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm also a terrible singer. But when I pitch my vocals up 50%, it becomes _hilarious._

Success!

so i just recorded myself for the first time and i actually heard how bad i am..............i cannot sign deceant even...........i will soon post a video of under the bridge and u guys will see............any advice?

NOT SING LOL

Waterguy
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
What do Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen have in common?

They all have horible singing voices. Yes I know I just sort of peed on the trinity. These men are genious artists. The poetry of Dylan and Springsteen should be enshrined. The Stones are the essence of rock and roll.

They still have horible singing voices.

I don't think any of them care though. I'm pretty sure that all three of them know what they sound like and decided that if the general public didn't like them based on that then the general public could F off.

Attitude counts more than raw talent unless you are trying to get into opera or win American Idle.

Don't get me wrong here, you may well sound like an electric can opener chewing it's way through the local recycling center. The thing is that some people might think that is the greatest sound ever recorded. The other thing is that playing the Uke and singing is above all about fun. If you have fun singing to the Uke you are strumming then You Win. What other people think should not even come into it.

Plainsong
08-06-2008, 03:44 AM
That is so true. And there's a double standard for female vocalists. They have to be perfect or else it will be said they suck. There are only a few exceptions to this rule.

I'd like to add Robert Smith to the list of guys as well. - and yeah I don't care, The Cure wouldn't be The Cure without his voice... well, even if he was still writing the songs anyway.

JoeyJr858
08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I think I'd only like my voice if I sounded like Luther... but I don't... so yeah...
lol
that answers that...

remy
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
That is so true. And there's a double standard for female vocalists. They have to be perfect or else it will be said they suck. There are only a few exceptions to this rule.

Yeah, no fair!

Regardless, I do find that there are songs I've been singing for years (in the shower mostly!) that I feel decently confident about, so practice must be pretty important. Most things sound better in the shower, for whatever reason.

But "bad" singers are some of my favorites! There's something adorable about an untrained voice. It seems more honest and pure. Forget all that overly rehearsed- American Idol- mewing like a pussy cat- crap, and just be yourself! And be loud! That's my advice.

SniperX876
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Can't stand the way I sing. Seem to either be off beat. Or lose my Tab beat to the song that Im playing. I don't know what to do. Any tips. Like to keep the beat or even just play the damn song while singin. HELP!:confused:

Bassukuguy
08-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Can't stand the way I sing. Seem to either be off beat. Or lose my Tab beat to the song that Im playing. I don't know what to do. Any tips. Like to keep the beat or even just play the damn song while singin. HELP!

i do not claim to be a great singer, but singing on beat and such is one of those things you just have to work at... i do suggest that you get a metranome, or look online there are alot of diffrent ones. the 'gnome will help you keep the beat while you strum. this is what i say for trying to sing while playing

1. Memorize the chords
2. Find the beat
3. play it through all the chord changes to see if you remember all the chords
4. attempt to sing over the chords you are playing

there are more steps im sure, but this is what i do and it seems to work out sometimes... and then you try some things like bob marley and he never really sings on beat and you just have to go with it...

experiment!

Latinleaders
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't know if it's been said already but I'll share anyways.

My advice would be when you practice don't over stretch yourself.
Get to know your voice and range.
When you're singing, don't strain your voice by trying to sing notes you can't reach. If it's too high or too low, just sing it in a different key.

Try singing songs that play to your strengths as well. For example, I'm quite a strong belter, and have a good twang but my head voice is weak in comparison.
So you wouldn't see me doing the likes of beegees, or justin timberlake or the like.

Anyways I'll stop rambling now.:o

David Barnes
09-03-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't have a good voice, but I have at least learned to sing roughly in tune along with my playing. Here's my tips:

1. Learn to play the chords through first, and 'hear' the tune clearly in your head. Make sure you can hear exactly what notes you're going to be aiming for.

2. Once you can play the song and hear yourself singing it well in your head, try to sing the notes but not the words. Just "aah" your way through the song. As you're doing it, make sure you still 'hear' the notes in your head before you try to make them.

3. Once you've got that, start singing the words. Concentrate on getting the notes right, and saying the words fairly clearly. Don't worry about the quality of your voice -- just do it.

Always sing it loud and proud. Imagine yourself smiling, and sing using as much of your body as you can. At least your chest and all of your mouth. This is hard if you don't think your voice sounds good -- you'll try to sing timidly from your throat, but this will only make your voice sound weeny and give you less control over the notes.

And sit up straight or stand when you sing, shoulders back. The poise you would have if you were performing.

tad
09-09-2008, 08:23 AM
...Or on the other hand, you can just learn to be okay with your voice. Some of my favorite vocalists-- especially male vocalists-- don't exactly have pretty voices:

Tom Waits
Lou Reed
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen

...if the song is strong enough, it matters little what the vocalist sounds like.

David Barnes
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
All of those guys still know how to sing the right notes. If you're lucky to have a beautiful or distinctive tone to your voice then that's great -- but singing in tune is still something you have to learn. You also have to learn to get the volume right and communicate emotion through the voice that you have.

Bob Dylan had an amazingly versatile voice when he was younger. He's best known for that "stoner sound" from the mid sixties ("Bringing it all on Blonde"), but listen to Nashville Skyline and you'll see what a pretty voice he could put on when he wanted to.

ukeoustic
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
im a bad singer myself and i dont think i sound good. not only i sound bad but i sing too soft! so i guess ur fine.. as long as u practice and just enjoy singing or just hav fun making vids like what im doin.. ur all good man!! haha! no pressure just enjoy! and rock on!!! :rock:

hugoestr
10-19-2008, 01:23 PM
We should really have that contest singing "under the bridge". I don't know if I would win, but I would at least end up in the top 5 of worst singer around here.

When I grew up I had a family that would ridicule you mercilessly every time you tried to sing. So... we didn't sing :P

My wife, who is a big singer, told me that I absolutely had to sing to my children because she wanted singing children. So I just go into this mode where I don't care and sing to them. So my children are subjected to my horrible voice, he, he.

But there is more! Now I am teaching Sunday school, so those children are subjected to me as well! Bwa ha ha!

My theory is that at some point I should be able to sing in key. But I am not there.

Kailabraise
01-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Gah, I'm the same way. I have a great sense of pitch but I'm still a bad singer. So I really never sing at all, I just hate the way my voice sounds so I write vocals for others rather than for myself. =/

hoosierhiver
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm no good singer by any stretch,but it is pretty fun. I think you gotta find your range that your pipes are comfortable with and sing like that.I used to try to sing this way or that,but when I just relaxed and felt what was most natural for me,it turned out a little better.(maybe).

dorkatron
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
i think that you should always just have fun with singing :)

you just have to work with what ya' got---
there are some things that you can do to improve your voice such as vocal training classes or something as simple as joining a choir (yep, i said that in the other thread too...heehee)

but be proud of your voice and just have fun.

Spuash
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I would consider myself an OK singer, but when it comes to any advice i could help with,

its confidence. just like a woman notices that a man is confident in himself, anyone who listens to you will know you're confident in your voice, so while perfect pitch matter and being able to control your voice, a lot of it has to do with your confidence.

uku-ali
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
One of my adult students found it most helpful when I told him to play his vocal chords like an instrument. Keep the air moving at all times, even when you think you're between notes. The book Total Body Singing is pretty good. Air is everything!

veep
06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
great advice!

Uncle-Taco
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
My priest showed me the petition asking that I sit further back and sing softly. :uhoh::D

Hankthetank
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I used to think that I was a good singer. I mean, when I am in my car and I have the radio turned up loud-I sound just like the singer. And the louder the music, the more I sound like that person. But when I sing straight out with no background music-OMG, I am horrible.
I tried to make my first uke video, and it is confirmed that I am a bad singer. But I don't make any bones about it. It is what it is. I think people around me appreciate it because they see I am having fun with it.
So practice, get better, but most importantly-have fun:shaka:

gabzuke
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
yeah i know how you feel... i used to be really bad as in REALLY bad
i couldnt sing notes haha but i didnt care what people think so i practise everywhere (whereever i bring my uke but the shower LOL) shower, train, church, outings, everywhere. Im not that good yet but i can hit notes. so yeah just keep practising ! youll get better... we'll get better haha

ukulele2544
06-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Same here...

Playscool39
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Just keep singing. The only thing that counts, is you having fun! But if you're really embarresed of your voice you can always take some lessons.

RachLIVE
06-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Nahh doesn't matter! I truly awful but always bellowing out a tune - with or without uke, eventually your friends just get used to your voice & sorted.
But yeh I never record myself, for some reason your never used to the sound of your own voice lol

:shaka:

MarkusWithAnAxe
06-30-2009, 10:51 AM
You could take lessons, but if you're poor (like me) you can just hum melody. That's usually good for the selfconfidence, because you don't as much "you" as when you're singing. If you still think you sound bad, you can pick the melody on the ukulele and mix it with the chords on your computer... Like those karaoke-melodies!
But my tip is practice!

Russ Sonny Kemner
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I just recorded and posted my first vocal attempt for JJ's birthday challenge. And my singing is horrible. I'm too old to try out for American Idol any way so whatever.

One downfall, my wife watched the video and now I won't get any for a week!

cpatch
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I think karaoke has done a lot to condition people to the average singing voice, which isn't great (mine included). But enthusiasm and sincerity go a long way towards making up for any technical flaws. (So does choosing the right key!)

cpatch
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
One downfall, my wife watched the video and now I won't get any for a week!
Tell her you'll sing again if you don't! :D

Pueo
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
A musician friend of mine had a great technique for building confidence in singing. Choose ANY Neil Young song. Learn how to sing it. You will sound better than Neil, and that will boost your confidence. I must admit, it works! I love to sing, I think I sound OK, but I have never recorded myself. I get "Awesome!" all the time on Rock Band though, does that count? I think perhaps my first recording may be "Elephant Town" and then you can all tell me if I'm any good.

casetone2514
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM

NOT SING LOL

Never held me back being a horrible singer.

Justin
07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
my singing isnt too good either but my wife loves it and thats all that matters... one thing i do know is that practice does help out alot....and if you want to sing infront of people to get your confidence up but dont want to be made fun of just start playing when everyone is drunk and they will sound alot worse then you....lol...i promise.....

uke5417
07-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Had I been a good singer, I probably wouldn't have written the songs I have. One of the great things about writing your own is that no one can say they're not as good as the originals. Odd logic aside, I think the comment about singing being similar to playing, where practice makes better, is right on target.

ihavenotea
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Most things sound better in the shower, for whatever reason.

It is the acoustics… when you get that much echo a couple things happen. First, you can hear yourself more clearly, so you tend to hit the notes more precisely, second, the reverb smoothes the tone. If you have a software that can add reverb or echo you can play with this… a little tiny bit of reverb will make you sound better (I sure need it).

So practice in the shower bunches… it will improve your non-shower singing.

I fully support the advice to seek out lessons. One of the cheapest ways is often through a community college. That is were I learned. Don't fret if the class is oriented toward classical singing. Being able to sing classically will improve your singing in all other genres.

Another thing I find useful is try to emulate all sorts of different artists and styles… sing along in a classical style to broadway pieces, growl along with Tom Waits, sing falsetto with PostalService, sing jazz with Kurt Elling… (substitute various female vocalists as appropriate; I only listed these because they are some of the ones I emulate when goofing off).

Be silly about it. There are some things you will never figure out without being absolutely goofy and abandoned (falsetto, for example). I learn all sorts of new tricks by just goofing around.

FHS-72
07-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I found that practice and confidencs is the key. I've heard alot of people that really aren't that good but they have alot of experience and confidence and it makes them sound very good. We've just started a new band and I'm singing alot, so hopefully that thought will help me to get better.:o I'm starting to have more confidence, so I hope the singing is getting better too.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
A musician friend of mine had a great technique for building confidence in singing. Choose ANY Neil Young song. Learn how to sing it. You will sound better than Neil, and that will boost your confidence. I must admit, it works!Haha, that's pretty funny. I might just have to do that.

Bratset
07-11-2009, 02:37 AM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]A musician friend of mine had a great technique for building confidence in singing. Choose ANY Neil Young song. Learn how to sing it. You will sound better than Neil, and that will boost your confidence. I must admit, it works! COLOR]

haha :rotfl::rotfl:

schuermurrman
07-12-2009, 06:04 PM
If there is a community choir that you can join I would suggest that too!! You get to learn parts and see what range you are best in...get tid-bits of information that you would get from vocal lessons...learn parts and harmonizes and all that good stuff!! And stumble upon some neat songs too!! :shaka:

i love stitch
08-02-2009, 04:07 PM

thats actually a good idea, because i would win for sure :o

ihavenotea
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
thats actually a good idea, because i would win for sure :o

The real danger is this: Formally trained singers can out bad-sing anyone… for nothing is worse than things being just slightly off key with full projection and deliberately sabotaged tone. It can be truly, truly awful.

So a bad singer contest would really just leave everyone bitter.

dominicfoundthemooon
08-03-2009, 01:18 PM

deach is a good example for this.. and not because he is bad... but because he sings no matter what people say... and i have been watching just about every video he has posted in the past 6 months and he has gotten much much better!! love the deach!

NOT SING LOL

DO NOT GIVE UP!!

if seeso said he as bad... just watch his videos and see how good he is!! if he was bad.. like he stated.. then he came a long way.. because he is AMAZING...

RECORDING... listen... re-record... and over and over and over..

What do Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen have in common?

They all have horible singing voices. Yes I know I just sort of peed on the trinity. These men are genious artists. The poetry of Dylan and Springsteen should be enshrined. The Stones are the essence of rock and roll.

They still have horible singing voices..

i would say they have GREAT voices.. they found there own style.. i get what you said... love those guys.. i would throw in Tom Waites and Daniel Johsonton...

i think that you should always just have fun with singing :)

you just have to work with what ya' got---
there are some things that you can do to improve your voice such as vocal training classes or something as simple as joining a choir (yep, i said that in the other thread too...heehee)

but be proud of your voice and just have fun.

SHUT UP DORKATRON!!!! i don't even what to see you in this thread.. one of the best voices on UU!! jk jk..

-----------

the reasons i had to post here is i am working on this issues also.. having a down on my voice week and i have asked a few uu people and got some great advice.. one thing is... just be yourself.. be real..

i aim to get better.

d

BedroomUke
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
You guys wait till i have my uke and learn my first song, I'll make you all sound like amazing singers lol...but still, im gonna post the hell out of all my vids, bad ones included, I trust you guys to come up with constructive advice:) (obviously you will be allowed to make a little bit of fun as long as its for a laugh):p

Manalishi
09-30-2009, 11:21 PM
If you want to talk 'technically' then I too am a 'bad singer'.
BUT..... all the previous tips on this thread are good;find your
range,what you are comfortable with,and give it all you got!
I have the range of George Harrison,which he himself once said
was 'about an octave and a bit' and I get by.The main thing is
to enjoy what you're doing,right? And give it some welly!

mrplatypus70
10-01-2009, 12:44 AM
maybe Im a terrible singer...but I dont care hahahahaha :rofl:

I think not caring is the key. I hate to hear myself sing, I can not even listen to the stuff I do with vocals. If I try not to be too self conscious about it while I am singing sometimes the results are less horrible, sometimes more. A couple of beers helps with the self conscious part! I also try to think of all the people who make a living singing who do not have nice singing voices, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits are two of my favorite artists and no one could accuse either one of having a pretty voice!!

beeploop
11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I believe that I just can't sing. I used to sing so bad but now my voice is getting worse. However, I still sing and join some contests to get a Uke.;) just having fun!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLt04TPUvMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4B7WQCBe5w

`

ogel916
11-07-2009, 08:22 PM
well it might just be the quality of the mic, try getting a condenser mic for cheap. or maybe u can try singing in the restroom. it has really good acoustics in there and u can really hear urself so u might be able to find out whats wrong.

nohandles
11-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I was very fortunate to have had voice lessons for 5 years. I tuned her piano and kept her husbands sax collection in good working order and it was free. I never sang before. Then I quit singing for 7 or 8 years and had to learn to sing again. So my point is you can learn to sing you just need to understand your range and best keys to sing in. Then like a lot of others have said practice, practice, practice. Hey if a deep baritone to bass-me can learn to hit the high note in Tied to the whipping post and go back to baritone any of you can learn to sing. When I gather up the courage I'm going to post it on youtube.

Ukulele Roots
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I can sing for about one song, then my voice goes bye bye! :D

UkuVinny
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I find it helpful to just listen.
Listen to those that are better than you and take note of how they sing.