Jake and Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain in Southern California next March

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
For those of you in the SoCal area, there is a great chance to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I have wanted to see them ever since I saw their Youtube performance of the theme from "Shaft." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE

Anyway, since it seems they tour exclusively in Europe (and occasionally on the East Coast) I jumped at the chance to see them in concert with Jake Shimabukuro at the Orange County Performing Arts Center next March 24th. Here is a link to buy tickets:
http://www.ocpac.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumber=7591

You can read about the dual performance here:
http://www.philharmonicsociety.org/presentations.aspx?i=441
http://ko-kr.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109680445749337&ref=nf

Now, I just have to figure out who to drag there with me: my spouse, best friend or Mom. I think they just may arm wrestle to find a way out of it, as none of them are uke fans.

I hope to see some of my fellow UUers there! :)

OMG! I'd go to see each separately, but Jake and the UOGB together ....! Thanks for putting the word out. Now I also have to figure out who to drag there....

Saw the uogb recently they were incredible and very funny also. This would be an amazing show

Wow, that will be a great show!! Thanks for letting us know early so we can get good seats. I rushed over and got tickets already! It is kind of a tricky website, but they have some nice interactive video that previews your view of the stage. I guess I found out what I want for my birthday! I think I can bring my husband... he enjoyed the Jake concert in Glendora, and I have shown him the UOGB on YouTube. Now, the only problem will be how to deal with the traffic on a Thursday night. Maybe well will have to spend the day in OC.
–Lori

Hi all, lucky people,

I recently went to a UOGB gig in Salisbury UK, excellent night, look out for the Clash number "I got to let you know" FAB

Mike

Holy Mole, thanks so much! It's on my actual birthday, I may get to have a nice one for a change. Yaaaaaay!

Ohhh - am conflicted. Just bought tix to see Jake in Santa Barbara on March 21st, but can't pass up the opportunity to see my fellow countrymen if they're on the Left Coast ...

Just an update...I saw on Facebook that the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain will now not be appearing with Jake at this show, despite what was advertised when I bought my tickets. I called the center and told them that while I love Jake, I had only bought tickets because I wanted to see UOGB (as they never come out here). I asked for a refund and they issued it to me. They were very cool about the whole process, and said the funding had fallen through on getting UOGB out here.

So if you bought tickets predominantly to see Jake, I'm sure you will have a great time. But if, like me, you did it because you wanted to see UOGB, you should call and get a refund.

Just an update...I saw on Facebook that the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain will now not be appearing with Jake at this show, despite what was advertised when I bought my tickets. I called the center and told them that while I love Jake, I had only bought tickets because I wanted to see UOGB (as they never come out here). I asked for a refund and they issued it to me. They were very cool about the whole process, and said the funding had fallen through on getting UOGB out here.

So if you bought tickets predominantly to see Jake, I'm sure you will have a great time. But if, like me, you did it because you wanted to see UOGB, you should call and get a refund.

Oh man that is such a bummer. We were planning to fly down from Oakland for this concert! I'm really glad you saw that on facebook so soon though since I'm NOT on facebook and would have been hugely disappointed if I got there and UOGB wasn't there. I will probably cancel our tickets. While I would like to see Jake, it was UOGB that was the real draw for me.

Thank you o wicked one!

Do you remember where on Facebook you saw that the UOGB had canceled its appearance in Orange County? I just called the Performing Arts Center to get a refund for my tickets and they told me that this isn't their event (it's being produced by the Philharmonic Society) and they know nothing about the UOGB canceling, so now I apparently have to find proof for them in order to get a refund. The UOGB's Facebook page is emplty, and its Facebook "fan appreciation" page has been spammed to death and looks abandoned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you remember where on Facebook you saw that the UOGB had canceled its appearance in Orange County? I just called the Performing Arts Center to get a refund for my tickets and they told me that this isn't their event (it's being produced by the Philharmonic Society) and they know nothing about the UOGB canceling, so now I apparently have to find proof for them in order to get a refund. The UOGB's Facebook page has been spammed to death and looks abandoned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would try calling the Performing Arts Center again (maybe a different day of the week?) and ask again for a refund. The guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about but he put me on hold and apparently talked to someone else then came back and gave me a refund. I just checked my acct and they did actually make the refund. I'll check and see if I can find where the cancellation info but for one thing the tickets I received say Jake Shimabukuro and then below that UOGB. When you check the Orange County center's site now it only has Jake's name, not UOGB.

Another idea is to contact the Philharmonic Society and see if they will refund your money since they changed the program after you purchased your tickets.

Last edited:
I would try calling the Performing Arts Center again (maybe a different day of the week?) and ask again for a refund. The guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about but he put me on hold and apparently talked to someone else then came back and gave me a refund. I just checked my acct and they did actually make the refund. I'll check and see if I can find where the cancellation info but for one thing the tickets I received say Jake Shimabukuro and then below that UOGB. When you check the Orange County center's site now it only has Jake's name, not UOGB.

Another idea is to contact the Philharmonic Society and see if they will refund your money since they changed the program after you purchased your tickets.

Thanks, Marymac. I just spoke with someone at the Philharmonic Society who said that she was not authorized to provide a refund because the concert was still happening and Jake Shimabukuro was still performing. She said her boss might be able to consider my request on a case-by-case basis. I'm disappointed that the Philharmonic Society hasn't adopted a policy for dealing with anyone who asks for a refund instead of requiring each individual to plead his or her case to someone's boss, ansd I'm surprised that the woman at the Performaing Arts Center with whom I spoke (who said she checked with other people there) didn't know tghat the UOGB would not be appearing. Anyway, I'll keep the forum posted on what happens with my tickets. Maybe someone in the Orange County area just wants to see Jake play.

Thanks, Marymac. I just spoke with someone at the Philharmonic Society who said that she was not authorized to provide a refund because the concert was still happening and Jake Shimabukuro was still performing. She said her boss might be able to consider my request on a case-by-case basis. I'm disappointed that the Philharmonic Society hasn't adopted a policy for dealing with anyone who asks for a refund instead of requiring each individual to plead his or her case to someone's boss, ansd I'm surprised that the woman at the Performaing Arts Center with whom I spoke (who said she checked with other people there) didn't know tghat the UOGB would not be appearing. Anyway, I'll keep the forum posted on what happens with my tickets. Maybe someone in the Orange County area just wants to see Jake play.

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. They issued my refund with no problems, although now maybe they are getting deluged with requests. I'm out of town so my internet access is sporadic, and my notes and stuff are at home. I get back on the 22nd. If you haven't gotten a refund authorization by then, I'll check in my notes to see the info for you. So sorry... :(

UOGB in Los Angeles - NOT

Hey, Everyone -

I saw this post about the UOGB and Jake, so I thought I'd chime in. I played with the Uke Orchestra of GB in New Zealand a little while back, and they told me that they are not coming to America because the Philharmonic budget was crushed by the economic problems we're having in California. There's no funding, so no UOGB.

There's a quick bit of UOGB in this New Zealand video I just posted on my site. I'll put more up later: http://bartt.net/Page-NewZealand.html

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. They issued my refund with no problems, although now maybe they are getting deluged with requests. I'm out of town so my internet access is sporadic, and my notes and stuff are at home. I get back on the 22nd. If you haven't gotten a refund authorization by then, I'll check in my notes to see the info for you. So sorry... :(

It took several phone calls, but the Philharmonic Society eventually refunded my tickets. I had to convince the guy I spoke with that it would be really dumb for me to incur all the expense of traveling to SoCal to see Jake when he was going to be in San Francisco the next day. I'm still disappointed that they couldn't just have a policy of refunding the purchase price to anyone who wanted a refund after the UOGB portion of the program was canceled. It's not like they're going to have problems selling Jake Shimabukuro tickets. At least my outcome was ultimately good.

It took several phone calls, but the Philharmonic Society eventually refunded my tickets. I had to convince the guy I spoke with that it would be really dumb for me to incur all the expense of traveling to SoCal to see Jake when he was going to be in San Francisco the next day. I'm still disappointed that they couldn't just have a policy of refunding the purchase price to anyone who wanted a refund after the UOGB portion of the program was canceled. It's not like they're going to have problems selling Jake Shimabukuro tickets. At least my outcome was ultimately good.

So glad to hear you were able to resolve this with them! I guess I just have to wait to see UOGB next time I go to Europe.:(

Hey, Everyone -

I saw this post about the UOGB and Jake, so I thought I'd chime in. I played with the Uke Orchestra of GB in New Zealand a little while back, and they told me that they are not coming to America because the Philharmonic budget was crushed by the economic problems we're having in California. There's no funding, so no UOGB.

There's a quick bit of UOGB in this New Zealand video I just posted on my site. I'll put more up later: http://bartt.net/Page-NewZealand.html

Hi Ukulele Bartt
Welcome to UU!! Thanks for the link to the NZ show. Looks like a great uke fest. I really wish UOGB could have made it here. I was really excited to think I might get to attend their show, and with Jake on the bill too, it would have been a great concert! I did get my refund as well, after a few phone calls, and they credited my PayPal after about a week or two.

–Lori

I need to find a place to watch them in the UK, I have a DVD of theirs and LOVE it :D

Top Bottom