Lanikai LK-1S - solid Koa soprano, built in Hawaii by Kanile'a

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbycrts

Reaction score
PRICE REDUCED!

Back story -

I have two favorite ukes which, for all practical purposes, are virtually identical. One is my treasured Kanile'a K-1S, the other is this one, the Lanikai LK-1S. Honestly, the Lanikai is the prettier of the two, but the Kanile'a has my sentimental vote, as it was my first all-koa uke. Since they are so close to identical, and since I don't play the Lanikai much any more, I am selling it here.

For a while, Kanile'a, in Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii, built the Lanikai LK-1s for them. It is identical in every way except logo and label to the same ukes Kanile'a was selling with its own name at the time (Kanile'a has since changed to a different bracing system, which happened shortly after thy stopped building for Lanikai).

This ukulele is stunning - the wood is very rich in color and shimmers in the light. It has a high-gloss UV finish (the same used on Kanile'a gloss ukes even today). The finish is as near perfect as I can imagine - there are a couple spots in the pictures below that are smudges or reflections of light - the finish is so glossy it was hard to get a shot without reflections!

The sound shimmers, too - it has beautiful sustain, and I've restrung it (and all my ukes, actually) with Worth clear strings, which make it sing. Sustain is quite good and tone is brilliant.

I have also replaced the standard white plastic bridge pins with ebony bridge pins with mother-of-pearl dots, which match the fretboard markers.

I have searched the web a bit to see if anybody still has these for sale new - I did find some. Prices ranged from a low of $500 to a high of $639 (Elderly's website says they listed for $799 new - I find that a bit hard to believe!). A new Kanile'a K-1S retails for $640 and was listed for $665 (no case) and $679 (with a case) at the first couple music shops I checked on a Google search.

I am asking $375 WITH a hard case - not the cloth-covered styrofoam cases, this is a real hard case with three latches (one locking, keys included). The case is quite nice and retails for around $80 (current Kala model BC). This case was built before they added the hygrometer and I no longer have the shoulder strap. The case is also in excellent condition, though it does have a bit of sticker residue on it.

To sum up: this uke is functionally the same as a Kanile'a K-1 soprano, is in near perfect condition, has had bridge pins and strings upgraded, and has a quality hard case included. Unless you have to have the Kanile'a logo, this uke represents a terrific value!

lanikaifull.jpg

lanikaifront.jpg

lanikaisoundhole.jpg

lanikaiback.jpg

Last edited:
That's beautiful Jon. Whomever gets it I am sure will LOVE it!

I have a very quick, dirty sound sample I can send you the link to if interested...

Should sell quickly...I have a Kanile'a uke and it is amazing!! That is a real nice deal. I just don't have the funds. Sorry
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom