jigs and things you couldnt live without...

cursley ukulele's

Reaction score
hi folks... :)

i own a bandsaw and handtools... thats about it.. but i want to get a bit more modern, i like howletts slotted headstock jig, and his solid ply body jig,

so being a complete novice with really limited tools... what could you not do without?
what jigs do you have?

and more importantly.. which jigs should i have?

any advice massively welcomed...

darryl.

Some sort of body mold is a good idea. These can be quite simple, or more complex for production work. How much time you want to spend making jigs is directly proportional to the number of instruments you intend to build.

Brad

I appreciate every machine I have in my small shop but couldn't do without a good sturdy bench and a solid vise. A have an old style Wilton woodworker's vise mounted to the bench, a Parrot vise on a base that I can clamp in the Wilton, and a Zyliss that also can be added to the bench. I love and use them all a lot. That said, I also know folks who do great work at the kitchen table with a couple of c-clamps to hold the work. Years ago Fine Woodworking ran an article about a gentleman who made beautiful grandfather clocks and did all of the work with different chucks, cutters and attachements on an old radial arm saw - from planing rough wood with a Saf-T-Planer to making curved moldings with an old Sears shaper head attachement. It was the only machine he had. I don't recommend this (I don't even have a radial arm saw) but mention it to demonstrate the variety of ways there are to do this work. The best advice I ever got was, "Just start cutting wood."

Jigs you just build as need arises. Lots of info on jigs and jig building on the net. The main tools I used to build my first uke were this computer (for research) and a small imported drill press I bought 2nd hand for $20. I thicknessed my first back, sides, and top with the little drill press and and some shop made jigs. Other than that, go with what you have at hand. Purchase more tools later when you can.
Have fun with the build,
Doug

Starrett Double Square, Low Angle Block Plane, Saddle Square, Precision CA Glue bottle tips, Abranet sanding discs, #49 and #50 Nicholson rasps, Hand Scrapers, Naiwa Super Stones, 4"X4"X6" Squared piece of quartersawn Maple, Lie Nielsen Chisels, Silky Woodboy Kataba saw, Festool #1080 Multi Function Table and TS-55 Plunge Saw, 1lb deadblow hammer, etc, etc, etc, etc

A small wooden stop screwed into the end of my bench! And an L shaped piece of mahogany I use for clamping things in odd positions to work on as I haven't set up my vise yet..

Starrett Double Square, Low Angle Block Plane, Saddle Square, Precision CA Glue bottle tips, Abranet sanding discs, #49 and #50 Nicholson rasps, Hand Scrapers, Naiwa Super Stones, 4"X4"X6" Squared piece of quartersawn Maple, Lie Nielsen Chisels, Silky Woodboy Kataba saw, Festool #1080 Multi Function Table and TS-55 Plunge Saw, 1lb deadblow hammer, etc, etc, etc, etc

Though you may think it's swell, surely you can live without your $500 festool multifunction table?

Nobody can tell you what you need. people do different things in different ways. I don't have one single item on Tarheads list for instance but I'm sure these are invaluable tools for him. As has been mentioned, you'll know what you'll need when the need arises.

Though you may think it's swell, surely you can live without your $500 festool multifunction table?

Let me start this off with a statement that I am a reasonable, kind, experienced woodworker/cabinet builder and I have thought hard about replying to Matt's response to my list. I submitted my list in good faith as an example of what was valuable to ME and also as a possible point of reference for anyone not using or aware of my particular "likes".

Many of my philosophies about woodworking and processes around machining wood come fom a different world than making Ukuleles and Guitars. They have been shaped in using large machines, making large cabinets in a large noisy, dusty, dangerous shop. My very small home shop/garage has a few of the best things collected from my 40 years of woodworking. I converted to a few Festool tools (Plunge circular saw, guide rails and table) after a serious neck injury weakend my left arm and hand and prevented me from using a tablesaw and other large, finger eating tools safely. My neck was fixed (partially) and I have retired my large scale woodworking. Some of you may never have heard of Festool. It is a premium German toolmaker, made to be used everyday, made in a democracy, by workers paid a living wage and their tools demand premium prices. So... with that preface here is my response:

Yep Matt...I could but I would need other "things" to make up for it. The MFT http://www.festoolusa.com/products/mft-multifunction-tables/mft3-multifunction-table-495462.html is my Workbench/Compound sliding miter saw/ Mortiser/Assembly Table/Clamping Jig/etc. and I do a lot more than lutherie. It allows me to fold up when I'm finished and tuck everything away which creates peace and harmony in my home. That is priceless to me.
Some things have a value that is deeper than a price tag. My squared Maple block is on a par with my MFT as far as value to me as a tool and something I pick up or use with almost each step of a project. One cost next to nothing, one cost a lot. I would work harder/longer/differently/use more space/etc without either. It's all in what you value.

(BTW...smart shoppers use www.craiglook.com and never buy Festool at more than 50% of list)

Last edited:
Not many Aussie's on this forum it seems. The most essential piece of kit in any Aussies shed is the beer fridge. Wouldn't be able to function without one.:D

And I'd be lost without my table saw, drill press, go-bar deck, vacuum press, compressor and my glasses. Just need to find where I put them down last.

Not many Aussie's on this forum it seems. The most essential piece of kit in any Aussies shed is the beer fridge. Wouldn't be able to function without one.:D

And I'd be lost without my table saw, drill press, go-bar deck, vacuum press, compressor and my glasses. Just need to find where I put them down last.

Well put....Do you need an apprentice? I'll keep the fridge stocked ;)

:cheers:

I did once ...have a "Keg of Beer, cooler unit, dispenser, and gas bottle" all set up in my shed..:)...but I had to get rid of it co's Mr's Timbuck wasn't impressed....I did wait till the Keg was empty tho':D

I did once ...have a "Keg of Beer, cooler unit, dispenser, and gas bottle" all set up in my shed..:)...but I had to get rid of it co's Mr's Timbuck wasn't impressed....I did wait till the Keg was empty tho':D

Beer from a tap is the best! ...I have a new house and shop coming soon. The keg fridge is something to think about :)

Let me start this off with a statement that I am a reasonable, kind, experienced woodworker/cabinet builder and I have thought hard about replying to Matt's response to my list. I submitted my list in good faith as an example of what was valuable to ME and also as a possible point of reference for anyone not using or aware of my particular "likes".

Many of my philosophies about woodworking and processes around machining wood come fom a different world than making Ukuleles and Guitars. They have been shaped in using large machines, making large cabinets in a large noisy, dusty, dangerous shop. My very small home shop/garage has a few of the best things collected from my 40 years of woodworking. I converted to a few Festool tools (Plunge circular saw, guide rails and table) after a serious neck injury weakend my left arm and hand and prevented me from using a tablesaw and other large, finger eating tools safely. My neck was fixed (partially) and I have retired my large scale woodworking. Some of you may never have heard of Festool. It is a premium German toolmaker, made to be used everyday, made in a democracy, by workers paid a living wage and their tools demand premium prices. So... with that preface here is my response:

Yep Matt...I could but I would need other "things" to make up for it. The MFT http://www.festoolusa.com/products/mft-multifunction-tables/mft3-multifunction-table-495462.html is my Workbench/Compound sliding miter saw/ Mortiser/Assembly Table/Clamping Jig/etc. and I do a lot more than lutherie. It allows me to fold up when I'm finished and tuck everything away which creates peace and harmony in my home. That is priceless to me.
Some things have a value that is deeper than a price tag. My squared Maple block is on a par with my MFT as far as value to me as a tool and something I pick up or use with almost each step of a project. One cost next to nothing, one cost a lot. I would work harder/longer/differently/use more space/etc without either. It's all in what you value.

(BTW...smart shoppers use www.craiglook.com and never buy Festool at more than 50% of list)
I can manage without one..I've just had a look.. http://www.tools4trade.com/d-8004045-Festool-Multifunction-table-MFT3.aspx

Top Bottom