Sopranino Neck Specifications.

Ikilele

Reaction score
Hello, Ukesters!

I am attempting a new ukulele design and am trying to obtain dimension specifications for sopranino and sopranissimo ukuleles.

The specs I am looking for for each are:

-Fretboard length from nut to 12th fret
-Fret spacing measurements for all 12 frets
-Width at nut
-Width at body

Can anyone help me? I have been searching books, sites, contacting other builders and I have had no luck. I'd love to share my new design when it's complete, but I've hit a roadblock!

Mahalos plenty.

-Iki

Elderly says the the Ohana has a scale length of about 11.9"

I would think you would not want to make the fingerboard any narrower than a soprano as it would be come pretty unplayable. My Kala Soprano is 1 3/8" at the nut and 1 11/16" at the 12th fret.

Your best bet it to find the formula for calculating the fret spacing based on the scale length sooner than try and measure every fret. Like this one at Stewart Macdonald. Free of charge. http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping;jsessionid=DDBE816D0790638DE699695F6D177D6E

Search time for provided information. 12 minutes. :)

Yes. Do your searching. Use an online fret calculator, I would never use someone's fret to fret measurements even if they would have been kind enough to post them on a forum. It's too easy to miss a key when typing.

Good luck with your design, I build small piccolo ukuleles myself. The term piccolo came from somewhere, I never heard of sopranissimo ukes but that's as good a name as any. I based the design on an oldie I saw last year at a uke meeting in England. But the neck measurements and body depth and all, those are my own that I choose based on experience.

Sven

Oh wow! I forgot all about the fret calculators available online. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Mahalo nui! I will post pictures when it's done!

Top Bottom