Gibson Ukulele

posborne

Reaction score
I posted this previously on the Gibson Uke thread, but now I'm thinking maybe I oughta start this new thread here, so here it is:

I own a Gibson ukulele my mother gave me when I was a boy. She had gotten it when she was a girl... I would imagine in the late 30's or 40's. It's mahogany, 24 1/2" long with five pearl inlays on the fretboard and the Gibson script on the head. I've played it all my life, and, believe it or not, it still has the original strings.

There is a serial number inside at the base of the fretboard: 7004 18

Can anyone give me any information and possible value? It needs a peg... it's needed one for 45 years and this is the first time I've actually looked for one. Of course, it's a little dinged, but I suspect it's 70 years old and I believe in pretty good shape.

Thanks.

Paul

I have information regarding Gibson ukuleles but can not determine what model you have without more information and/or pictures to help out.

Gibson made 3 soprano models, a tenor model, and a baritone model over the years.

Last edited:
Not the best photo

I couldn't find my camera, so I took this with my phone. It probably shows you no more than what you already knew.

Attachments

• 10-06-10_1213.jpg
    10-06-10_1213.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 80
Aloha Paul,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...I'd give Ederly instruments a call, they have many vintage gibson there..
Go to and see prices and pictures and buy a new peg..Just google gibson ukulele and click on the link gibson ukulele-elderly instruments or
go to: Http://www.elderly.com/brand/180U_gibson.html Good Luck!! your baby needs some fixing up!!!!about time... MM Stan..

Last edited:
If you can get a couple of perfectly clear pictures, including a closeup of the headstock and post the question at Ukulele Cosmos forum, a member there, goes by Uncle Rufus, name is Rufus Yells, he is an expert on Gibson Ukuleles and has everything they ever produced, except one. Rufus can give you some idea and if he really likes what he sees, he just might make you an offer.

Last edited:
At 24 1/2 inches long, it sounds to me as if it may be a tenor. It's certainly longer than a soprano, which would be around 21 1/2 inches. Not as long as a baritone, I don't think....

Thanks guys. I'm not looking to sell. I've had it nearly 50 years. But I am interested in value and the other particulars. And I need a peg, too.

I shall obey your instructions!

Aloha Paul,
your baby needs some fixing up!!!!about time... MM Stan..

Don't touch it until you know the value of it. I'd hate for it to lose value because you replaced an original part.

Sorry, when you said fixing up, I assumed you meant like replacing old parts. My bad.

Top Bottom