I need to get busy!

dave g

Reaction score
New load of raw uke necks arrived yesterday:

wood2.jpg

I'm in the process of sorting it into firewood and instrument bits now. A third pile (the good stuff so far) is already stacked in the shop :)

Looks like oak, ash, maple, chestnut, and hickory.

I love it! It was your video of squaring a log on a jointer that inspired me to build my first uke. Thanks for your honest and straight forward approach to this work.

Split rail ukes...hmmm, the mind boggles at the possibilities ...(and the slivers)!:eek:

New load of raw uke necks arrived yesterday:

wood2.jpg

I'm in the process of sorting it into firewood and instrument bits now. A third pile (the good stuff so far) is already stacked in the shop :)

Looks like oak, ash, maple, chestnut, and hickory.

See, now I would have never known they were uke necks unless you told me ;-)

How long will you let that dry before you start building?

According to the guy I bought it from it's been split and drying for a year. That sounds about right as the moisture content is currently about 20% - 25%. I've got a fan blowing on the stuff inside. I'll cut some of it into rough blanks today and start working when they are down to around 10% - 15%.

The chestnut and hickory are only for banjo ukes (people expect banjos to be heavy :)).

I recently got one of those electronic moisture content meters, which is pretty neat. But it's mainly confirming about what I would have guessed with my old method (feeling it with the back of my hand).

Speaking of jigs & what-not, I've got a special gizmo for soaking sides :)

is there a video? :)

How about a mental picture? Imagine a 2' long piece of 3" pvc pipe with a toilet flange (with the cap still in place) on the end, filled with water :) Oh, plus a scrap of wood or something on top to keep the pieces submerged.

Top Bottom