Detroit 1-8-7... what do you think?

RyRod

Reaction score
I'll piggyback off the Hawai'i 5-0 topic.

There's been lots of talk on how this show was going to portray the city and I'm wondering what you guys think of the show/how it makes the city look.

Living 10 miles out of the city I don't really know what it's like to live there. I've had friends from there and my cousin was a police officer in the 9th precinct on the East Side.

From their stories, the TV show sounds about right (especially if you hear some of the stories my cousin tells).

Even though I live outside, I still go visit the city every once in awhile for Red wing or Tiger's games and for food and stuff in Mexicantown. We know there's places you just don't go.

I like the show. Probably because I like seeing all the sights that are off limits now. Like the train station in last night's foot chase scene.

I haven't seen the show yet, but as a Michigan expat, I am curious.

I didn't live in the city either, but after I left for college, my mother moved back to Detroit- Jefferson and Chalmers.

I remember going in the train station one day- really stupid thing to do, for sure. It was all fenced off, but I just couldn't believe the sight of it. I snuck in and was wandering around what looked post-apocalyptic. Eventually, I noticed all kinds of moving shadows and voices and bugged the hell out of there.

I have great memories of Detroit, I think that it is one of the great shames of our time. This is a city of rich architecture, history, music. Full of the rises and falls of America. A waterfront city that was the gateway to building the country, a factory city that made the vehicle to populate it.

Hopefully the TV/Movie business can inject some capital and interest into the place and lift the hopes just a hair.

havent seen the show either. heard it was lightweight "Wire" and "Homicide," so it sounds intriguing. but its pennant time. baseball first before regular tv.

Haven't seen that but watch a doco last night on the decline of inner city Detroit. It was amazing all the beautiful and large building left abandoned and the history in the iconic old factories rotting away, being reclaimed by nature at times. A real insight into the post industrial age. I image there could be many other cities in America and the western world staring gloomily at a similar fate.
We in Western Australia have pinned a lot of our future to the mining boom and it makes me wonder what happens when the party is over?

Top Bottom