How to Deal With Stomach Butterflies?

TicToc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been in Musical Theatre since 4th grade, so I don't usually get nervous, but this Friday I'll be playing Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue in front of a class, and guess what? My new girlfriend who just so happens to have blue eyes and is five foot two (weird, right?) happens to be in this class, and the nerves are killing me. I can't back out at this point, so does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with these new found nerves?

Yes. Have 1 (only 1 not two) cocktail before -- unless you aren't old enough. Then I can only advise taking deep breaths. And remember to concentrate. The minute you lose concentration is the minute the nerves come out and screw you up.

Yes. Have 1 (only 1 not two) cocktail before -- unless you aren't old enough. Then I can only advise taking deep breaths. And remember to concentrate. The minute you lose concentration is the minute the nerves come out and screw you up.

Yeah, I was going to say "scotch." Failing that:

Go potty. Drink some water (you'll probably have dry mouth), go potty again because of the water. Go potty one more time just for something to do with your nervous self. Check your fly, your clothes, your hair, your make-up, or anything else that might make you nervous. Tune your axe...again.

breeeeeeeaaathe.

Then, just before you go on, remember this: Those listening want the same thing you do, as much as you do, and that is for you to play your best, enjoy yourself, and be musical.

Have fun.

Valium washed down with a shot of rum always works for me.

Then, just before you go on, remember this: Those listening want the same thing you do, as much as you do, and that is for you to play your best, enjoy yourself, and be musical.
Yes, your audience wants you to succeed as much as you do. If you make a flub, someone would have to be a heartless mofo to come up to you afterward and say you sucked, like they could have done better. :rolleyes:

I've taken some seminars on public speaking (another thing that nerves out most people) and one of the things I recall is to focus on a random person here or there toward the back of the room, rather than on the sea of people who are focusing on you. You probably want to avoid focusing on your GF for any length of time.

I used to be really terrified of speaking in meetings that involved a lot of high-level executives, since I was a lowly admin. But ya know what? I was invited there to deliver information they wanted to know about and to answer their questions. No one ever treated me as a lesser being because I didn't make their high salaries.

When all else fails, picture the person you're looking at as sitting on the toilet doing their business. Everyone does, you know? That helps bring them down to your level as just an ordinary person who's no better than you.

Make it fun. That's what music is about, right? You're gonna be the bomb. +1 on "Just do it".

Dang- how did everyone beat me to booze? I would go nice small batch bourbon, but the sentiment is the same.
Not sure if girlfriend and wife are the same anymore (it has been a while) but mine is my biggest fan...even when I play 5'2" (she is 6' and has brown eyes...makes it funnier).
If the sentiment is there- I am sure you will have at least one devoted fan in the audience.
THe drink of water thing is critical though- great suggestion up there.

hi TicToc

many great suggestions so far. When I used to play live a lot in my twenties I used to suffer from bad nerves and found that "Beta Blockers" worked amazingly well...didn't make me lethargic, drowsy or anything, just made me feel calm, confident, in control.
But as you're a young guy, wouldn't recommend those...
I just think you should know the song as well as you can, and, like others have said, whether they admit it or not, they will be in admiration of you getting in front of all your peers and performing. If they bag you it's just jealousy rearing it's ugly head.

Good on you mate...I reckon it's awesome...and, gee I hope you like this chick cause after this she's not gonna let you go for awhile....milk it for all you can bro....in the quiet of the late night evening whisper in her ear "...I was playing that for you baby...." Happy days! It may just become your song!!!

Visualize yourself playing all through the song flawlessly and relax. A breathing exercise that helps you relax is to inhale slowly pushing out your stomach while counting to nine, hold for four counts, exhale slowly while drawing in your stomach-- again, nine counts. Hold for four counts. Repeat this process for several minutes. It is harder than it sounds, but, learn to do this. Your body will release the chemical beta-endorphine. This causes oxygen rich blood to reach every muscle and your brain, too. You will be relaxed and clear-headed. Visualization and "deep breathing" help martial artists do amazing things and are time-tested methods to ensure success. I have a chapter dedicated to visualization in my last book, "Get Happy, Write Away".

Look your girl in the eye, smile, and believe that nothing is wrong. :)

I think if you believe nothing will be wrong, nothing would go wrong. Of course i could be wrong..

Practice practice,

Lots of sleep the day before the performance, If you stuff up just keep playing as if you haven't.

Good Luck

Thanks guys! As for the alcohol suggestions, I'm not quite 15 yet, so that's out of the picture. I like the deep breathing suggestion, very nice, just tried it out. I'm performed in front of this class before on Ukulele, but last time it was an impromptu performance of Stu's Song from The Hangover. Right now, I'm debating a kazoo solo to break the ice.

Thanks guys! As for the alcohol suggestions, I'm not quite 15 yet, so that's out of the picture. I like the deep breathing suggestion, very nice, just tried it out. I'm performed in front of this class before on Ukulele, but last time it was an impromptu performance of Stu's Song from The Hangover. Right now, I'm debating a kazoo solo to break the ice.

I don't have any suggestions, the ones given so far are great but I just wanted to wish you luck! I hope it all goes well!

Let us know how it went :D

aaah...the kazoo solo - the missing link!!! Great idea Tic Toc...that will relax both you and them!!!

You could do a little thing that works for me in public speaking. Decide that you're not going to do it as you, but you're going to go out there and act the part of someone whom you admire and who plays uke just like you do and who has lots of self confidence and audience appeal. So you don't actually go out there and do the thing, you act or perform the part of someone else who is doing the uke thing, and they do the rest for you.

I love the kazoo solo idea. And definitely don't use my cocktail suggestion. Sorry I gave that to you. You will do fine. Remember to have fun.

There is only do or not do. There is no try.

(Most 14-year olds can't imagine how much a girl could ACTUALLY like them - believe in yourself and listen to the wisdom of Yoda)

There is no try.

Top Bottom