Fabulous lesson... lots learned!

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I had a great lesson last night with a new teacher! Wahoo! He was fabulous!

When I showed up he had put together a packet of materials for me and a CD of classic ukulele tunes! Talked to me about how important it is to listen to the music you will play... Before I left, he loaned me about 10 CD's of ukulele music to take home and 'listen' to.. all in my itunes right now! and let me borrow a fabulous book The Ukulele A visual History. Looks to be wonderful!

We worked a lot on strumming (which I SO needed) and it was so helpful. I can't wait to get practicing today once the kids are off to school ( but not to much because I have to work on a research paper today)

He also rocked a ragtime tune on my new uke, it is amazing to hear someone play like that on my Uke.. She's so bright and it sounded wonderful!! Yeah!! Showed me what the potential is in it! I could tell... through my lesson, he really wanted to play it. He says he currently has about 8 Ukes, and has sold a few... Imagine that!

Anyhow.. I will work on the techniques he showed me and go back in several weeks for another lesson. His way works perfectly for me. He is a bit more expensive, (but only 4 miles away) and does a longer lesson 75 minutes and doesn't want you to come back until you have mastered the techniques or are completely stuck... With my kids I just don't have time for every week (or funds)

Happy Uking today all!

Lessons are great, aren't they? I've been taking lessons for 2 1/2 years. Helps keep me disciplined about practicing (read: playing) my ukulele.

Aloha Carrie,
I'm gald that you found an excellent teacher you like...and the style he plays you like too..
He sounds like a wonderful teacher and not those that tries to suck money out you in every
lesson with a little or basic instruction.....alot of those around...
Would you like to give him a shout out here on the forums...
Whats his name, and is he from albany???Thanks for sharing, Enjoy and have fun!! MM Stan
"Keep Strumming them strings""

Sounds like you had a good lesson! And it sounds like he's a good teacher, musta been great to hear how much potential your new Uke has. Glad to hear you're moving forward with your playing!

What a great experience! I took uke lessons for a little while, but the instructor (who is very good at what he does if you like his style) and I just didn't click. I wish I could find an instructor like yours - I hope the experience continues to be great!

What a great experience! I took uke lessons for a little while, but the instructor (who is very good at what he does if you like his style) and I just didn't click. I wish I could find an instructor like yours - I hope the experience continues to be great!

I feel pretty lucky, He is a bit older, but has a gentle style... even though someday I will love to play lots of alternative rock, I like so many styles of music and the music he is working on with me is also good music... No twinkle twinkle... I think it will definitely work out for me in the long run. The first teacher I met (was 35 min away) was 10 min late to our lesson, he was qualified but not as organized, and would have just taught me anything I wanted to learn. I like that this teacher has a method... He started teaching me different strum patterns, utilizing songs that worked for them.. using the thumb etc and he taught me a few exercises (which look crazy to others) to start learning how to do roll and fan strokes...

I am happy for you. I feel that I would benefit from some personal instruction but sadly I cannot find any ukulele instructors here in Houston, which is surprising.

- Jack

Hey Fitncrafty,
Us newbies will be paying attention when you are ready to pass anything along from your lessons. Congratulations on finding your instructor.
DAP

Hey Fitncrafty,
Us newbies will be paying attention when you are ready to pass anything along from your lessons. Congratulations on finding your instructor.
DAP

DAP- I wish I could pass on some sort of words of wisdom. I felt great about my progress at the lesson, tonight I went to the uke club, felt lost and like running the whole time, I knew almost none of the music passed around...
As far as my lesson, he corrected form, and gave me some finger exercises to work on. He also told worked a lot on strumming, I have focused on chords mostly. He stressed the importance of strumming, especially in the group setting, so I have been working on some strumming techniques he showed me...and this finger exercise he showed me to work into being able to do fan stroke... It was nice to be able to play along with someone and he played at my speed. Even slowed me down...
Having tons of Uke music (I borrowed from him and loaded onto my computer) to listen to has helped... he strongly suggested having a recording device and I didn't have one. I wish I was able to record some of the strums he was teaching me... Next Lesson, I will get one.
Best tips he gave me was to play, and then play some more. 2 months ago, I couldn't play anything, I can play some music now.

Keep on playing! What are you working on these days?

Keep on playing! What are you working on these days?

Sounds like you have some good direction, that's great. I'm preparing to do a few songs at an open mic. My wife will sing; Hey Soul Sister and I'm your's. My friend/guitar player JJ, will sing; Imagine and I'll sing Guava Jelly. We are playing as a group which includes a bassist who doesn't sing. So I play through each song as often as I can pick my uke up while I'm Home. I'm also working on songs I got at my first uke club meeting last week, they are; Stray Cat Strut & Sloop John B. The meeting was fun. I too don't get to "play" much, (my practice at home is generally low volume) so it was good to really dig into full volume strums. I too had a hard time keeping up when the group was playing songs I haven't played previously. The group leader, Daryl Berk, gave me a tab sheet for picking the melody of "What a Wonderful World" the Louis Armstrong version. I don't pick or read tab so it will take some time to work it out, but it's a start.
Please keep sharing your progress. DAP (Don)

Top Bottom