Cajon players...share some tips with a noobie!

happyslappysoong

Reaction score
Yo all.

Being a uni student...i've got time for this stuff...so i bought my mate's old Cajon today, pictured below.

58776.jpg

Anyone got any tips for hand percussion? What should i practice? Do any of you guys play Djembe/cajon/bongos/etc?

I have a cajon that I absolutely love. I use a shaker of some kind to fill things out. As for practice, just turn on your iPod, tape deck, Victrola or whatever and play along. If you listen to diverse genres, you'll have a broader base of skills and you can experiment.

Last edited:
Thanks, i did that and this was the result....

The bass on the recording isnt best cos it was recorded with a cell phone cam! lol.

One thing nice about those things is you always have a place to sit at a party.

OH man, I remember this instrument! :) I have played percussion intensively for many years now, and started getting into this instrument with flamenco music. Here's my tabs from a course I took at a Flamenco festival. You have the bass notes on the bottom line, the treble (snare) notes on the top, and accents for both at "^" symbols. I would bet that sticking to the 4/4 Tangos and Tientos will be a good start for style, but the others in 12/8 and 6/8 are a blast once you get the rhythm. Have fun!!!

Cajon Rhythms.jpg

Top Bottom