Troubles with strumming

Miss Michele

Reaction score
I thought maybe strumming would be the easy part about learning the ukuele? Maybe it is for some, but not for me. I'm improving on my chord changing, but when I try to strum, I get all flustered! I switch between my thumb and index finger, not at the same time. I got D U D U, but other strumming patterns are not working for me. I thought about getting a felt pick, but afraid I might get too attached it.

Any advice? Thanks!

Aloha Miss Michele,
Did You try and Visit MusicTeacher2010 and check out his strumming videos...when you get to his site, look on
the right related vids and scroll down until you find them....he has alot of vids....and on felt picks, for me they
are so uncomfortable and I feel better strumming with my fingernails for more feeling and accuracy.
also try ududud dudu ududud...and so forth...I hope it helps and good Luck!! Have fun and enjoy!!
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
another one is Http://www.youtube.com/user/Mav79 On the right side of related videos, Scroll down to the video:
Learn how to play Somewhere over the rainbow-ukulele..

Last edited:
Aloha Miss Michele,
Did You try and Visit MusicTeacher2010 and check out his strumming videos...when you get to his site, look on
the right related vids and scroll down until you find them....he has alot of vids....and on felt picks, for me they
are so uncomfortable and I feel better strumming with my fingernails for more feeling and accuracy.
also try ududud dudu ududud...and so forth...I hope it helps and good Luck!! Have fun and enjoy!!
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
another one Mav 79 on You tube...

Yes, definetly go to MusicTeacher2010, excellent source of material especialy for beginners. Practice strumming and try different patterns but play them SLOWLY!!!!! Don't rush it will come to you!!

if i try to strum like in the clips.. i always follow a wrong rythem... can some help me with it

I got D U D U, but other strumming patterns are not working for me.

First of all, there's nothing wrong with "D U D U". It's a great strum. So is "D D D D" for that matter (which I assume you can also play, right?)

Don't feel like you can't learn new chords and songs just because you're having trouble with more fancy-pants strums. I could probably play every song in my repertoire with one of those two strums.

Second, don't concentrate too much on the "D" and "U" of it. In fact, I'd recommend not even thinking about strums in terms of moving down and up at all.

See, when you're strumming, your hand and arm should always move down and up at a steady pace. Even when you're playing a "D D D D" strum, you're still moving as if you were playing "D U D U" aren't you? I mean, you have to have an "up" in order to get back to the top so you can play the next "down", right? The only difference is that you're not making contact with the strings on those "up" parts. Pretty much every strum you're going to play is the same way. It's a constant down-up movement by your hand/arm, but a selective contact with the strings.

The trick is just to think of the sound of that rhythm. Don't worry about whether you're on an up or a down. Just worry about whether or not you want the strings to make a sound or not at that particular moment in time. The physical mechanics of it are ultimately irrelevant. You should be able to bang out the same rhythm on a tabletop, or clap it out, or beatbox it with your mouth if you wanted too, even though those require completely different physical movements.

If I thought about the mechanics of walking (right, left, right, left) I'd probably fall over. :) It might've helped when I was first learning to walk, but now it would just screw me up. Strumming isn't too different.

JJ

Ukulele JJ has some good advice.

Strumming is about rhythm and beats per measure and the sound you want to produce.

In order for that to become second nature, you'll need to be comfortable with your basic strums, all down or up & down.

I think it's best to learn songs as simply as possible. To me that means working on strumming LAST.

Learn the chords first. Then practice changing from chord to chord at a uniform tempo. Then insert the melody, then the lyrics, and finally the strumming - that is, any special rhythm you want the song to sound like.

With time and a lot of practice, you'll develop a few characteristic strums for yourself - the ones you tend to do without thinking about it. For me it's really only 2 styles, 1-plain, and 2-'latin'. Just about everything I do fits into one or the other category.

At the beginning, well, everything is hard because it's new and you're still learning. In time, you'll be able to go with the flow.

Until then, keep uke'in',

Ty all for ur fast repleys,

im gonna work on it and i will hope i will find the rythems fast,

My biggest problem is make contact with the strings.

But im gonna do my best and u will here from me in some days

:)

Practice doing it slowly. So slowly that you can't get it wrong. It doesn't matter if it sounds ridiculous. Once you can play it correctly but very slowly then try a little bit faster. If you make a mistake slow down again. Repeat until you can play it at the required tempo.

JJ,

Thanks! I understand what you are trying to say :) I appreciate the advice!

Top Bottom