Capo for ukulele

jbm

Reaction score
FYI, I tried this capo. They make a size for mandolin and/or banjo so I figured it would fit a uke. I found that it would not close tight enough on either my Kamaka tenor or Kanile'a SS.

Does anyone know of any capos suitable for uke?

Thanks

The planet wave capo is a great guitar capo, sorry to hear it does not uke well.
I don't use a uke capo very often as I would rather re-tune my uke and have the whole fretboard to work with.
I carry two ukes (both tenors) a GCEA and a DGBE I can usually re-tune one of them to get me into the finger pattern I like for the key chosen.
I do have a Kyser mandolin/banjo I can put on quickly when needed.
My only complaint with using a capo is shortening an already short fretboard.

Shubb have made one for me. I spoke to them at NAMM and Frankfurt. It is finished and it works. I don't think they mhave it for sale yet but I'm not sure. Get on to Shubb about it and ask them to sell/send you one.

I am at the Wukulele Festival at the moment and I have the Shubb capo with me. It fits all ukes (I hope) except baritones.

It works really well.

KEN

I have this one by Dunlop. It works on my Kanile'a super concert, and I am sure it would work on most ukuleles.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Trigger-Mandolin-Capo?sku=364050
I haven't had to use it much. Usually just when playing with guitarists, who have chord charts with capo imposed key changes.
–Lori

P.S. The Shubb one would be good if you could get a ukulele one... I have had those for guitar and banjo... very nice.

Last edited:
Shubb have made one for me. I spoke to them at NAMM and Frankfurt. It is finished and it works. I don't think they mhave it for sale yet but I'm not sure. Get on to Shubb about it and ask them to sell/send you one.

I am at the Wukulele Festival at the moment and I have the Shubb capo with me. It fits all ukes (I hope) except baritones.

It works really well.

KEN

Thanks Ken. That sounds interesting. I emailed Shubb about it. I will post the reply I get from them.

I have a shubb mandolin capo that works fine for me

Quick Draw

Since almost all our instruments are longnecks, we use capos a lot. We recommend Quick Draw capos. Banjo size works well for most ukes. Smallest profile by far. A little tough to put on, but then you never have to take it off. You can get to Quick Draw off our links page:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/links.htm

Kyser quickchange mando/banjo. Hands down works great for those of us who cannot transpose or want to save time. Works great on both my mainland concert and KoAloha superconcert.

i have a kyser electric guitar capo

me too...works well on all sized ukes...a little bit too long and can get awkward higher up the neck, but great up to 5th fret

Capos are for wusses! You only have 4 strings to worry about! Learn to transpose!!! :p

I do see your point (and have known a lot of guitar studs who have your attitutude) but don't always agree. If you transpose you will probably have to play closed position chords which sound different than open string chords. Think about playing a piano with the sustain pedal down, you can get that in your key of choice with a capo. If you don't use one you are stuck with chopping the closed position chords up the neck somewhere.

I'm in favor of having the choice and setting aside the macho attitude in this one area.

The Shubb capos for banjos work great. They have the right length, and the flat arm that fits perfectly, on any of my ukes or my banjo

Ralph

Capos are for wusses! You only have 4 strings to worry about! Learn to transpose!!! :p

IMHO, this is not always an option. I have many songs where I have learned the melody out of a chord shape.
If I have time I can usually put together another arrangement, but in a jam someone may call one of my songs, but in a different key.
A quick snap of a capo and I am playing along.
So I agree knowing how to tranpose is good, but for many of us transposing on the fly is just impossible.
I can do it for simple songs, but transposing melodies is not in my skill set.

I was kidding everyone. I thought the smiley would denote it. :)

I think it's useful to know how to transpose on the fly but a capo is a handy tool. I get it. :)

Top Bottom