PDA

View Full Version : Playing in Your New Uke

Bill1
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Time expired

Chris Tarman
10-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Playing it as much as I can. I have THOUGHT about doing the speaker thing, and Led Zeppelin would be a good choice! But I've never tried it. It's much more fun and satisfying to just play it. A LOT.

fitncrafty
10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
What's the speaker thing? Is there a trick this new player, new uke owner needs to know?
Thanks!

monty
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
OH, i am so jealous! Wise makes amazing uke's, and that blackwood baritone is the envy of at least this UU member :)
congrats and enjoy your wonderful instrument. I wouldnt worry about breaking it in as soon as possible, you'll have it for a lifetime so whats a week or two extra when you play it for years!

Chris Tarman
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
What's the speaker thing? Is there a trick this new player, new uke owner needs to know?
Thanks!

Well, one of the great debates about instruments is this: Do they improve with age? And if so, what causes it? Many people (including myself) believe that solid wood instruments (whether uke, guitar, violin, whatever) get better with age for some reason. Is it because the wood, glues, finishes, etc change as they age and dry? Or does the instrument have to be PLAYED (or at least VIBRATED) to get the effect? So, one idea is that if the wood and tone change somehow because of the instrument getting vibrated as it's played, maybe it's possible to artificially accelerate that process. THAT'S the speaker thing. Maybe (and it's a HUGE "Maybe") setting it in front of a speaker playing music will cause the wood to vibrate and loosen its fibers, or whatever the heck it is that happens. Maybe NOT, but I wouldn't think it could hurt. As long as it was a reasonable volume (between the hours of 9 and 11).... (Sorry, I couldn't help the "Office Space"reference).

Lexxy
10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Wise instruments cost a bomb! :O
But they sound awesome..

joeybug
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Congrats and your new Uke! Can't wait to see pics and how she sounds :D

haole
10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I played a Wise baritone at NY Uke Fest a few months back. Really, really nice instrument. Super light with a great sound. I have no clue if the speaker method really works. Your best bet is to play it. You won't want to put it down!

mm stan
10-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Aloha G'day Bill,
Congrats on your new purchased Wise Baritone, gee that Tassie Blackwood sounds awesome with rope binding....What's going on here at the UU forums...everybody's going into
a ukulele buying frenzy!!!!Enjoy you new ukulele and have fun!! Keep strumming them strings!!!!MM Stan