Eleuke Help

virem

Reaction score
I bought a Koa eleuke about a week ago and it seems to eat batteries alive. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I play it for about a half hour a day with headphones (I dont have an amp currently) the battery lasts about 3 days, after the first battery died I made sure to turn down the volume all the way after use. It doesn't seem to ever be off. Any input would be very helpful.

Best bet to see if its the instrument (I've heard others say it drains batteries fast) is take the battery completely out when you're not playing...
Also, maybe invest in some rechargeables? (keep one on the charger, and one in the uke.. you'll always have juice.)

Hmm.. wonder if it's harder on the battery to power the headphones vs running line level into an amp.
The headphones do have transducers ( speakers ) in them, thus requiring more power, esp when/if the volume is cranked.

Just a guess?

Did you buy it new? Did it come with a manual, it may (should) incl. specs on battery life etc?

I bought it new. If this is normal for eleukes then I will just deal with it. Just wanted to see if other people could confirm the short battery life.

I don't think that's normal for eleukes at all. When nothing is plugged in, regardless of what your volume/gain settings are, the uke is 'off'. When something is plugged in - either an amp cable and/or headphones - regardless of the knob settings, the eleuke is 'on' and power is draining whether you're playing it or not. Always unplug after use.

The only time I drained my battery was when I accidentally left a cable plugged into the uke after playing for maybe 1/2 hour, and didn't realize it til about one-two days later. When I realized it, I could play maybe a few chords amped before the battery completely died out. In that estimation, the battery should last for at least 24-48 hours of continuous plugged in time. If you play only 1/2 hour/day, and the battery is gone in 3 days, that's only 1.5 hours of battery use. Even if headphones drain more battery, 16 times more battery power than using an amp sounds a bit far fetched.

ETA: though, to be fair, I have a older model of Eleuke (before they have the additional mp3 player plug in in addition to the headphone plug in), so maybe it's the newer models?

Last edited:
I feel like it is always on... like if I don't have anything plugged in and didn't use it, it would still drain the battery

I don't think that's normal for eleukes at all. When nothing is plugged in, regardless of what your volume/gain settings are, the uke is 'off'. When something is plugged in - either an amp cable and/or headphones - regardless of the knob settings, the eleuke is 'on' and power is draining whether you're playing it or not. Always unplug after use.

The only time I drained my battery was when I accidentally left a cable plugged into the uke after playing for maybe 1/2 hour, and didn't realize it til about one-two days later. When I realized it, I could play maybe a few chords amped before the battery completely died out. In that estimation, the battery should last for at least 24-48 hours of continuous plugged in time. If you play only 1/2 hour/day, and the battery is gone in 3 days, that's only 1.5 hours of battery use. Even if headphones drain more battery, 16 times more battery power than using an amp sounds a bit far fetched.

ETA: though, to be fair, I have a older model of Eleuke (before they have the additional mp3 player plug in in addition to the headphone plug in), so maybe it's the newer models?
Well said and all of this is true with the newer electronics too.

I bought it new. If this is normal for eleukes then I will just deal with it. Just wanted to see if other people could confirm the short battery life.
I feel like it is always on... like if I don't have anything plugged in and didn't use it, it would still drain the battery
Like it has been said before, it should turn off when nothing is plugged in. If it is really ripping through batteries when its not plugged in, then that is a warranty issue. Contact the store or website where you bought it and explain the situation to them. If they got it from us (if they're in the U.S. then they did) then they'll get a hold of us and we'll take it from there.

Hard to add to that, but I'm going to. :)

I've got an MP3 model, and the only time I experienced rapid battery drain was when I left it plugged into an amp. Sounds like there's something wonky going on with yours.

Well said and all of this is true with the newer electronics too.

Like it has been said before, it should turn off when nothing is plugged in. If it is really ripping through batteries when its not plugged in, then that is a warranty issue. Contact the store or website where you bought it and explain the situation to them. If they got it from us (if they're in the U.S. then they did) then they'll get a hold of us and we'll take it from there.

Me! I'm on it!

It might be the batteries you're using.

Batteries that are "Heavy duty" are actually very weak and short-lasting. There are some really crappy batteries out there.
If you are using Heavy duty batteries (like the one provided when you buy it), consider switching to Alkaline batteries, such as Duracells.

The first thing I do when I receive any new uke that takes 9V batteries is to change the battery.

Top Bottom