PDA

View Full Version : I had my first performance!

remy
06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I finally worked up the courage to play for one of my friends!!! I was so nervous, but somehow my fingers knew what to do!

Man, why is it so much harder to play with someone else in the room??? I don't know what I would do on a stage with people actually looking at me!

cMejilla
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
haha its always a reliever when you get that first one out of way. first time i played in front of someone, i felt like an awkward schoolboy who didn't know what to do with his hands.

remy
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't have played my best song first! Now I want another shot, because I can totally play it way better. Always keep that card up your sleeve, ya know?

OrangeUke
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Haha I know what you mean, I get nervous when I play for others, even my own family! At least your hands know what to do; for me, things start to get a little warm.... :uhoh: and then my hands get shakey and I put to shame all the things I spent my time practicing. But I guess practicing more often with others should fix all that right?

rayan
06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
the first one is always the most nerve racking (sp?) but after that it just keeps getting easier and easier. The first gig I ever played, I think I must have peed 3 times before getting on stage and my leg was shaking the entire time on stage. Now it's no big deal.

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-22-2008, 10:04 PM
the first one is always the most nerve racking (sp?) but after that it just keeps getting easier and easier. The first gig I ever played, I think I must have peed 3 times before getting on stage and my leg was shaking the entire time on stage. Now it's no big deal.

really? that sucks, i am doing my first performace soon and i get embarrassed quite easy and i sweat.. so then everything goes downhill.. i do it twice- second may be good :)

congrats on first performance

Boozelele
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
The last time I played for someone in the room, I swear I couldnt remember how to play a C chord. It was like all of a sudden I had never played before. The video camera does the same thing. Even knowing I could play it a thousand times if I had to, that damn little red light on the camera freaks me out. So now, I hate people...and red lights....:(

Ukesista
06-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Yeh performance anxiety, I played for some friends a couple of weekends back, and had a brain drain and couldn't remember what to play next, so I repeated the same chords and I think they didn't spot it.

Only way to get over performance anxiety is to keep playing. You can start with a few friends or one friend and then get bigger from there.

russ_buss
06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
my first few times required a little "liquid courage". but it gets easier with time. now the liquid isn't for courage anymore, it's for pleasure.:)

one thing i did notice on my first time playing in front of people, is that i played much faster than i intended. probably the feeling of wanting to get it over with. so keep this in mind when you perform. mind the pace.

seeso
06-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Congrats, Remy! :)

Boozelele
06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
now the liquid isn't for courage anymore, it's for pleasure.:)

one thing i did notice on my first time playing in front of people, is that i played much faster than i intended.

Words of wisdom Russ. I get all geeked up and really hurry the pace. Even if I start at a good tempo, by the end Im going at "flight of the bumble bee" speed. And of course the "liquid" helps in just about any situation...

remy
06-23-2008, 10:07 AM
The last time I played for someone in the room, I swear I couldnt remember how to play a C chord. It was like all of a sudden I had never played before. :(

I know, this is exactly what happened to me! And I got through the intro part, and to the part where I have to sing, and I really froze up for a moment because even singing in front of people is pretty scary. But it's really hard to not make a mess of the strumming and all when my hand is literally shaking. Why do I get so nervous??? I'm hoping to play for my family when I see them next, but that will be even harder. Maybe I should try practicing in the park so I'll get used to having people around.

Afterwards, my friend said it was, "Absolutely adorable." Is that a compliment?

Misguided Musician
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Congrats! I found the time before getting on stage was more nerve wrecking than actually being on stage. Offstage, I could see how many people and what they were like, but thanks to the blinding lights onstage, I don't have a care in the world.

Boozelele
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
IWhy do I get so nervous??? I'm hoping to play for my family when I see them next, but that will be even harder. Maybe I should try practicing in the park so I'll get used to having people around.

Afterwards, my friend said it was, "Absolutely adorable." Is that a compliment?

I am usually fine with the Karaoke, but man, playing and singing is much tougher. Maybe it's because you become the whole band. I wonder if "Asolutely adorable" is like "special", or "gifted"? Im sure it was a great performance.:o

russ_buss
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I am usually fine with the Karaoke, but man, playing and singing is much tougher....

hoo wee! i'm 10x the nervous doing karaoke on stage at a bar. it helps when the whole crowd is several sheets to the wind. getting less nervous each time though. we live for karaoke!

Boozelele
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, the drunker YOU are, the better I sound...that's for sure!!!

deach
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
What songs did you play? What was the venue?

UKISOCIETY
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
my first few times required a little "liquid courage".

The Dutch get very little credit for this very important performance enhancer!:D

Plainsong
06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
My fingers never know what to do when they realize people are listening. Gee, I wonder why I didn't pursue a full-time music career. It wouldn't be a dilibating case of stage fright, would it?

Congrats on your first performance! I find that the smaller audiences are tougher.

adellethegreat
06-24-2008, 03:43 AM
The video camera does the same thing. Even knowing I could play it a thousand times if I had to, that damn little red light on the camera freaks me out. So now, I hate people...and red lights....:(

Lol Me too, Booze. I'm still alone in the room- it's just a camera- an inanimate object- but I still feel like it's judging me ;)

I'm extremely nervous playing in front of people. What seems to work for me is messing up royally lol. Once I screw up for the first time, and stop & say "Oh shit- I messed up there!" and laugh- the tension is gone (mostly). Works even better if you can get everyone else to laugh, too.

h-drix
06-24-2008, 05:29 AM
my leg was shaking the entire time on stage. Now it's no big deal.

same here, ive preformed countless times in an orchestra, but one year at my school they had an open mic night, so i got up with a friends acoustic guitar and sang two songs just on a whim. i was freaking out so bad, but all my friends were there and they loved it, and it was well worth the embarrassment of having my leg geeking out all over the place.

my voice is horrible so i feel bad for putting people though all that lol. maybe one day ill post a clip on here.

remy
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
What songs did you play? What was the venue?

I played Eels, "F*cker" and "I need some sleep", and I attempted Something and Daydream Believer.

Aw, I'm not cool enough to have venues... not yet!

Isn't it strange though how many variables can affect how nervous you get playing for people? I have to speak in front of people for my job, and so I didn't think I was even capable of having stage fright anymore. I thought I had kind of trained myself to just not be aware of whether people are watching me or not... Wrong! My best friend keeps trying to get me to play for her over the phone, since she lives far away, and I just can't do it. Not even into a phone!

deach
06-24-2008, 07:28 AM
I played Eels, "F*cker" and "I need some sleep",

Hells yeah!!!!! Any video of this?

raindog
06-24-2008, 08:12 AM
The first and only time I ever played an instrument for an audience, I was playing guitar and my leg was shaking SO bad. Luckily that leg was standing on a wah pedal, so it looked and sounded like it was on purpose! :cool:

My best friend keeps trying to get me to play for her over the phone, since she lives far away, and I just can't do it. Not even into a phone!

My friend wants me to play uke for her over the phone too, but I keep chickening out. I tried the liquid courage thing, but found out that alcohol and ukuleles do not mix well.

Boozelele
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I tried the liquid courage thing, but found out that alcohol and ukuleles do not mix well.

OMG! Blasphemy! Bite your tongue!...UH OH!....."I'M MELTING....I'M MELTING........SOMEONE HELP ME....I'M MELTING........":eek:

Howlin Hobbit
06-25-2008, 12:48 AM
It's really funny. I've played in front of all sorts of audiences, some numbering in the thousands (that's a rush, let me tell ya). I hardly get anything resembling stage fright anymore.

Unless...

I'm playing in front of a group of ukulele players. Don't ask me why cuz I sure don't know but if I get up to play at, say, a SUPA* meeting, I get all sweaty-pawed and am more likely to screw something up.

* Seattle Ukulele Players Association (http://www.seattleukulele.org/)

raindog
06-25-2008, 07:14 AM
OMG! Blasphemy! Bite your tongue!...UH OH!....."I'M MELTING....I'M MELTING........SOMEONE HELP ME....I'M MELTING........":eek:

Haha! I should've said that alcohol and ukes don't mix well for me. If you saw me try to play after 3 beers, you'd agree that I should either put the bottle or the ukulele DOWN. I've always envied people who could drink and play an instrument at the same time. Them's some mad skillz. :worship:

FHS-72
06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
we started playing at the Hawaiian Style Grill and I was nervous just playing. i wouldn't even try to sing, but after awhile, i guess you get used to being in front of people. it's helped me. i still get the nerves, but it's easier to handle.

Boozelele
06-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I've always envied people who could drink and play an instrument at the same time. Them's some mad skillz. :worship:

hahaha, I didn't say I was any good at it! It's just a hell of a lot of fun. :D

Howlin Hobbit
06-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I've always envied people who could drink and play an instrument at the same time. Them's some mad skillz. :worship:

I can't do both at the same time, but I can take a swig between songs with the best of them.

Do it all the time, unless I'm actually gigging. Then I tend to tap it light until after the gig.

raindog
06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
hahaha, I didn't say I was any good at it! It's just a hell of a lot of fun. :D

Very true. Alcohol + anything = fun, and ukulele + anything = fun, so alcohol + ukulele = damn fun. Unfortunately my fingers get drunk very easily. Stupid lightweight fingers...

I can't do both at the same time, but I can take a swig between songs with the best of them.

Well, you can always get one of those beer helmets, like Homer Simpson. :p

SailQwest
06-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Very true. Alcohol + anything = fun, and ukulele + anything = fun, so alcohol + ukulele = damn fun. Unfortunately my fingers get drunk very easily. Stupid lightweight fingers...

I have stupid lightweight fingers, too!

I avoid drinking when we're playing in public until after. For some reason this usually equates with playing amplified for me...

However, after hours at the bar, playing on the boat for guests/friends, or jamming with others, alcohol is nearly always involved!!!

mctrmt
06-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't feel nervous before a performance until the minute I pick up the ukulele- then I'm a wreck. It's usually a bit easier if somebody is playing with me and if I know the audience has had a bit to drink. If I'm playing for friends I try to play songs that everyone will sing along with- it takes some of the pressure off!

I just had my first "big stage" performance a few days ago, and because it was a raised stage I could look out over audience and basically pretend I was just playing to the the library across the street or the tops of the umbrellas in the beer garden. That made it so much easier.

I gave a talk in front of a bunch of university art students last year (not ukulele related), and I was so nervous I kept one hand in my pocket and the other hand on the computer mouse pretty much the whole time. I never took a single drink of water because I didn't want them to see my hands shaking! What a wuss. I must have looked pretty cool with my hand in my pocket though. Maybe like the Fonz.

It's heartening to hear that other people have the same problem!

UkuleleBlake
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Never really had any performance anxiety. My best tips would be:
1. Know your stuff. If theres a part of a song that you aren't 100% clear on, take the time to research it. You don't want to fake any part, especially if someone is recording it.
2. Own the place. Just act like it's yours and take control.

I'm not a severe pro, but I am in the sense of not getting nervous, so I hope I could help a little bit.