I had my first performance!

remy

Reaction score
I finally worked up the courage to play for one of my friends!!! I was so nervous, but somehow my fingers knew what to do!

Man, why is it so much harder to play with someone else in the room??? I don't know what I would do on a stage with people actually looking at me!

haha its always a reliever when you get that first one out of way. first time i played in front of someone, i felt like an awkward schoolboy who didn't know what to do with his hands.

Yeah, I shouldn't have played my best song first! Now I want another shot, because I can totally play it way better. Always keep that card up your sleeve, ya know?

Haha I know what you mean, I get nervous when I play for others, even my own family! At least your hands know what to do; for me, things start to get a little warm.... :uhoh: and then my hands get shakey and I put to shame all the things I spent my time practicing. But I guess practicing more often with others should fix all that right?

the first one is always the most nerve racking (sp?) but after that it just keeps getting easier and easier. The first gig I ever played, I think I must have peed 3 times before getting on stage and my leg was shaking the entire time on stage. Now it's no big deal.

the first one is always the most nerve racking (sp?) but after that it just keeps getting easier and easier. The first gig I ever played, I think I must have peed 3 times before getting on stage and my leg was shaking the entire time on stage. Now it's no big deal.

really? that sucks, i am doing my first performace soon and i get embarrassed quite easy and i sweat.. so then everything goes downhill.. i do it twice- second may be good :)

congrats on first performance

so true...

The last time I played for someone in the room, I swear I couldnt remember how to play a C chord. It was like all of a sudden I had never played before. The video camera does the same thing. Even knowing I could play it a thousand times if I had to, that damn little red light on the camera freaks me out. So now, I hate people...and red lights....:(

Yeh performance anxiety, I played for some friends a couple of weekends back, and had a brain drain and couldn't remember what to play next, so I repeated the same chords and I think they didn't spot it.

Only way to get over performance anxiety is to keep playing. You can start with a few friends or one friend and then get bigger from there.

my first few times required a little "liquid courage". but it gets easier with time. now the liquid isn't for courage anymore, it's for pleasure.:)

one thing i did notice on my first time playing in front of people, is that i played much faster than i intended. probably the feeling of wanting to get it over with. so keep this in mind when you perform. mind the pace.

Pacing

now the liquid isn't for courage anymore, it's for pleasure.:)

one thing i did notice on my first time playing in front of people, is that i played much faster than i intended.

Words of wisdom Russ. I get all geeked up and really hurry the pace. Even if I start at a good tempo, by the end Im going at "flight of the bumble bee" speed. And of course the "liquid" helps in just about any situation...

The last time I played for someone in the room, I swear I couldnt remember how to play a C chord. It was like all of a sudden I had never played before. :(

I know, this is exactly what happened to me! And I got through the intro part, and to the part where I have to sing, and I really froze up for a moment because even singing in front of people is pretty scary. But it's really hard to not make a mess of the strumming and all when my hand is literally shaking. Why do I get so nervous??? I'm hoping to play for my family when I see them next, but that will be even harder. Maybe I should try practicing in the park so I'll get used to having people around.

Afterwards, my friend said it was, "Absolutely adorable." Is that a compliment?

Congrats! I found the time before getting on stage was more nerve wrecking than actually being on stage. Offstage, I could see how many people and what they were like, but thanks to the blinding lights onstage, I don't have a care in the world.

Adorable

IWhy do I get so nervous??? I'm hoping to play for my family when I see them next, but that will be even harder. Maybe I should try practicing in the park so I'll get used to having people around.

Afterwards, my friend said it was, "Absolutely adorable." Is that a compliment?

I am usually fine with the Karaoke, but man, playing and singing is much tougher. Maybe it's because you become the whole band. I wonder if "Asolutely adorable" is like "special", or "gifted"? Im sure it was a great performance.:eek:

I am usually fine with the Karaoke, but man, playing and singing is much tougher....

hoo wee! i'm 10x the nervous doing karaoke on stage at a bar. it helps when the whole crowd is several sheets to the wind. getting less nervous each time though. we live for karaoke!

My fingers never know what to do when they realize people are listening. Gee, I wonder why I didn't pursue a full-time music career. It wouldn't be a dilibating case of stage fright, would it?

Congrats on your first performance! I find that the smaller audiences are tougher.

The video camera does the same thing. Even knowing I could play it a thousand times if I had to, that damn little red light on the camera freaks me out. So now, I hate people...and red lights....:(

Lol Me too, Booze. I'm still alone in the room- it's just a camera- an inanimate object- but I still feel like it's judging me ;)

I'm extremely nervous playing in front of people. What seems to work for me is messing up royally lol. Once I screw up for the first time, and stop & say "Oh s**- I messed up there!" and laugh- the tension is gone (mostly). Works even better if you can get everyone else to laugh, too.

Top Bottom