RIP Nancy Hollander....

I don't know about anybody else but that article confused me? Did she actaully play violin?... Or was it a what if kind of thing?

I knew her as an ukulele player, but there was another side to Ms. Hollander's talents....

She will be missed.... :(

Obit here...

You do know that "The Onion" is a satire site? From their FAQ here: http://www.theonion.com/faq/

"The Onion is a satirical weekly publication published 52 times a year on Thursdays. ... The Onion uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases where public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental."

I don't know about anybody else but that article confused me? Did she actaully play violin?... Or was it a what if kind of thing?

So-ooo..."She is survived by two daughters, a son, six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, all of whom will forever remain oblivious to the national treasure Hollander would have become had she just picked up a violin even once...." didn't give it away...?? ;)

Sorry to confuse ya'll, but I think that's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile....

RIP...my thoughts to her family.

but what i dont understand is how did they know about her musical genius on a violin in particular, even though she never played one?

So-ooo..."She is survived by two daughters, a son, six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, all of whom will forever remain oblivious to the national treasure Hollander would have become had she just picked up a violin even once...." didn't give it away...?? ;)

Sorry to confuse ya'll, but I think that's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile....

I did wonder if this was a joke, because of it being the Onion!

My heart weeps for the violin society.

What could have been was "wasted in ukulele frivolity"

Poor Lilly needs to be set straight. Why can't they open their eyes???!!!

My wife and I have had a subscription to The Onion for years and years. I once took a photo-copied article to work, which was about people in a similar occupation to mine. A few of my coworkers got that it was a joke, but one pretty high up fellow totally didn't get it and thought that it had actually happened somewhere. It was about members of a SWAT team not wanting to have to go into a ventilation shaft with a particularly annoying officer. My dense coworker said "Those guys need to be put on administrative leave!".... One thing about The Onion that makes it really funny is that it is VERY CONVINCINGLY real at times.

I quiet liked the obit. I think I would like my obit to read similarly. I could have been grand, rather than living this ordinary life, if only...

I thought it was funny, as Onion articles usually are.

But it was also kind of poignant. Makes you think, doesn't it? What paths might our own lives have gone down had we made different choices or had different opportunities at key points? (What if my folks didn't have a piano in the house when I was a kid? Would I be posting on a ukulele forum decades later?)

Sadly, there probably are potential violin (or football, or dance, or chess, or whatever...) prodigies who simply never discover it, or never get a chance to develop it.

Reminds me a bit of this commercial.

JJ

Pretty sure I would be an amazing ice dancer if I would put down my uke and get to the rink...
love the Onion

Top Bottom