How do I adjust the action on a Camp Uke?

shrink9

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Vintage Camp Uke made by Lyon & Healy. The instrument is in pretty nice shape for a vintage instrument; however, the action is too high. Does anybody have experience adjusting the neck on one of these ukes? When I look inside the soundhole, there is a screw into the neck. Will adjusting that screw change the action?

If all goes well, I am attaching a pic of the front of the uke as well as a pic showing the high action.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Attachments

• Lyon and Healy Camp Uke 1920s b.JPG
    Lyon and Healy Camp Uke 1920s b.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Lyon and Healy Camp Uke 1920s f.JPG
    Lyon and Healy Camp Uke 1920s f.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 50
Hey Allen,
I am wondering about that screw in there. Are you saying that there is a screw that goes from inside the uke, up through the neck block, and into the underside of the neck? I don't know much about camp uke's but that doesn't sound right to me. I wonder if it was an attempted fix for a lifting heel on your uke? If so, it leads me to wonder if the neck angle is off and thus that needs to be addressed......which would fix the high action if it were out of whack.

Can you take it to a good luthier to find out if the neck is indeed in the place it ought to be? If the neck is bowed, or at a bad angle, and you adjust the action it will only make the problem worse as you will likely have intonation issues. If it were my uke, I would want to check out that neck first given that there appears to maybe have been an issue with it in the past.

Aloha Allen,
Didn't see the screw on your pictures, is it on the inside or outside....because the seam on the heel and the body seems to be tight....
Take it in for a check...if the neck is straight and if the height at the first fret is high too, maybe you could drop the saddle....good luck!! MM Stan...

Thanks, guys. I didn't photograph the screw which does appear to go up into the neck. The neck looks straight and the seam at the heal and body seems tight to me also. I don't have any luthiers near me (that I am aware of) so may ship it somewhere to be adjusted. Any recommendations? Its a nice little uke and I would like to be able to enjoy it.

I had a Lyon & Healy Camp ukulele not too long ago but sold it. As I remember, the screw attaches the neck to the body. If you can't lower the saddle enough to get the action down, a good luthier could remove the neck and reattach it to lower the action.

The neck needs reset. That is the angle the neck attachs to the body. If you lower the bridge alot it affects the volume. The angle of the neck is just slightly too high. Like the others said by the photo it looks like the heel is flush with the body, but we a taking a very small amount can throw things off. A Luthier can fix it or if you are handy look online for instructions on performing a neck re-set.

Top Bottom