Family Snapshot

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
My wife was out with friends tonight, so I dragged some of my friends out. These are almost all of them. There's a cheap baritone that I lent to a friend, an unplayable cheap-o soprano that I thought was cool-looking enough to spend $4 on from eBay, and my Oscar Schmidt concert with pickup that were left out of the photo.

Back row left to right: Maccaferri Islander soprano and baritone; 1950s Martin Style 1; Martin S-O; Faux "Martin 5K" copy; 1920's "Moana Loa" koa soprano; 1920s Criterion soprano; Kala laminated mahogany concert; Kala Acacia tenor.
Front row left to right: Flea soprano; Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple soprano; 1930-ish Martin Style 2; Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano (with Mi-Si pick-up); Kala Flamed Koa soprano.

Attachments

• 100_2720.jpg
    100_2720.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
saying that I am jealous of you would be a understatement,
you my friend are a very lucky man. BTW I checked out your channel
and your cover of limelight is really great. I have that same shirt and
I wear is it all the time, keep up the awesome strumming-Chris

saying that I am jealous of you would be a understatement,
you my friend are a very lucky man. BTW I checked out your channel
and your cover of limelight is really great. I have that same shirt and
I wear is it all the time, keep up the awesome strumming-Chris

Thanks! I got the shirt when I saw them at Red Rocks in August. 25th row. AWESOME SHOW! I'm a bass player primarily (for 30 years next month), and have been a Rush fan since my guitarist and drummer friends introduced me to their music when I was just TALKING about getting a bass.

My wife was out with friends tonight, so I dragged some of my friends out. These are almost all of them. There's a cheap baritone that I lent to a friend, an unplayable cheap-o soprano that I thought was cool-looking enough to spend $4 on from eBay, and my Oscar Schmidt concert with pickup that were left out of the photo.

Back row left to right: Maccaferri Islander soprano and baritone; 1950s Martin Style 1; Martin S-O; Faux "Martin 5K" copy; 1920's "Moana Loa" koa soprano; 1920s Criterion soprano; Kala laminated mahogany concert; Kala Acacia tenor.
Front row left to right: Flea soprano; Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple soprano; 1930-ish Martin Style 2; Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano (with Mi-Si pick-up); Kala Flamed Koa soprano.
Aloha Chris,
Your ukulele family has definetly grown, that's an awesome and impressive collection....You may certainly be certifiable as Uke Crazy...lol..and you know whats even worse, it's me....
I probally have a little more ukes than you, and I have never seen or thought of myself as that.. You certainly have brought me into realization and perspective...
Maybe all this time I too am in denial, now I am in shock and awe....and I still don't know if this will curb my buying more...Maybe I still don't wanna know!!!!
I have my ukes all over the house, and never put them together as a bunch yet...if i did just as you, I wonder if it would curb my buying or not....Serious UAS'er....MM Stan..

Aloha Chris,
Your ukulele family has definetly grown, that's an awesome and impressive collection....You may certainly be certifiable as Uke Crazy...lol..and you know whats even worse, it's me....
I probally have a little more ukes than you, and I have never seen or thought of myself as that.. You certainly have brought me into realization and perspective...
Maybe all this time I too am in denial, now I am in shock and awe....and I still don't know if this will curb my buying more...Maybe I still don't wanna know!!!!
I have my ukes all over the house, and never put them together as a bunch yet...if i did just as you, I wonder if it would curb my buying or not....Serious UAS'er....MM Stan..

It's time for the "Stan Family Portrait" :)

wow Chris! that's a seriously nice collection of ukuleles there mate. :drool:

That's what I call a good lookin' family!

Except the "faux" Martin 5K seems a little shy, hiding away there behind his brother... :eek:

I'm a bass player primarily (for 30 years next month)

And you don't have a Kala U-Bass? Have you played one yet?

I don't have a U-Bass yet. I have played a couple of them in shops. They're pretty cool. I might have to get one someday, but I want to see how they do with a LOUD rig first. The stores where I played them were acoustic instrument shops, and only had little dinky amps. I'm wondering how they'd do at higher volumes. I'm a little worried about feedback issues.

There is a guy over at talkbass that plays one with a full rig and a full band. Here is his thread about it.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656509&highlight=kala
I have played mine through my markbass LMII with two aguilar GS112s with no feedback problem but I was just playing at home, not in a band.
I got mine to play in a small/quiet acoustic setting so I only use a small combo amp. I would think in loud settings a 10 band graphic EQ pedal might come in handy. Also they are coming out with a solid body version.

Well, Chris, if you read that talkbass forum, you should have no qualms about the Kala U-Bass. The U-Bass player in our uke group, loves his, so much so I couldn't convince he to let me babysit it while he is in Germany for the week. Would get one myself but I have never played bass and would like to know I can before getting one.

Well, Chris, if you read that talkbass forum, you should have no qualms about the Kala U-Bass. The U-Bass player in our uke group, loves his, so much so I couldn't convince he to let me babysit it while he is in Germany for the week. Would get one myself but I have never played bass and would like to know I can before getting one.

That didn't stop ME! When I bought my first bass, I had never even touched one. I had guitarist and drummer friends, but no one played bass, so I figured they'd have to let me play with them. One of my guitarist friends showed me how to play the opening bass part of "Dazed and Confused" on his guitar, and I was hooked!

Well, it just might happen because my UAS is so out of control.

Top Bottom