cool sound

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
on a uke (tenor anyway never tried it on a different uke) rest your finger on the fret bar right below the 12th fret and strum with a nail. it makes a cool "harp-ish" noise. ive never seen anyone do it before though. i was fooling around and noticed it, so check it, it doesnt work on any other fret

Last edited:
You haven't seen my vids on YT yet! I use all harmonics for this song.:music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZHD6umPZvQ

You can make a harmonic on any fret but it is easiest on the 5th, 7th and 12th fret above the note you use. So, if you fretted the 1st fret you can chime the 6th, 8th and 13th fret. I hope that helps. Some other good example is Herb jr's introto Somewhere Over the Rainbow or Jakes Mrs. Robbinson.

im not pushing on the fret like a chord, its like a mute, gently rest your finger over the fret bar and strum

^ yeh there called the harmonics lol.. i think anyway, should be some at the 5th fret aswell.. mine also works at the 7th.

hmm chiming? your probably right. Are you talking about how you play those notes in close to you?? where you just gently rest your fingers on the strings above 12th and 5th... i thought they always called harmonics

it didnt work on the 5th on my uke, and i hadnt heard or seen it before, so i thought i found something amazing. turns out i was way wrong. :(

I found a few good ones on my concert Kala. BTW 'harmonics' are used a lot by GOOD bass guitar players. I know this because I play bass (although Im not good hehe)

Jaco Pastorius was a classic example of a harmonics user.

hmm chiming? your probably right. Are you talking about how you play those notes in close to you?? where you just gently rest your fingers on the strings above 12th and 5th... i thought they always called harmonics

"chimes" and "harmonics" are the same thing...just different names...

Isn't a lot of good slack key dependent on chiming?

Yea, slack key makes heavy use of chimes, especially at the 12, 7, 5, and 4th frets

wow thats fun!

then again i get entranced by passing butterflies.

but i do know this!

the uke has many mysteries and many secrets to unlock!

Top Bottom