PDA

View Full Version : I have UAS very badly!

joeybug
10-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone :D

So, you all know that last Saturday after admiring it on eBay, I paid for my Ohana SK10S - also known as "Lilo". Well, after that I started looking at pineapple Ukes, because of the different sound they give off.

So, I had my heart set on this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390248460302). For the link shy, it's a Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano Ukulele. I was talking with my dad about my playing and he asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said that I wanted money towards the above but that I was worried they would sell out before Christmas.

I'd emailed the seller and asked about stock supplies and they said they couldn't guarantee it would a) be in stock after Christmas and b) be at the same price because of the new VAT rises coming into effect Jan 1st 2011. So, while talking with my dad, he said that as long as I didn't mind, he'd pay for it now, let me have it now and I'd have it as an early Christmas present...

SOOOO...I've brought it from eBay, he's gonna pay tomorrow and since it's Next Day shipping it should be here Tuesday!

I had plans to buy a couple more headstock parts for my lovely Uke Leash, which I'll do Saturday (guess I knew I'd eventually get a pineapple which is why I wanted two!) and she comes with Aquila strings as standard, plus I have three sets of those on the way too (one set for Astrid and a couple spare) So, I'm all set until the next Uke takes my fancy...which should be a long while seeing as how I'll have gotten THREE within two months!!! Plus the Luna comes with a fitted Gig Bag so I don't have to worry about that part of it!

Yes, the UAS is strong in this one :D

Now names, I've narrowed it down to three since she's a Luna, that makes me think of Moons, so should she be:

1) Io - one of Jupiter's moons and features in Greek Mythology
2) Artemis - Greek Goddess of the Moon (I think!)
3) Rhea - one of Saturn's moons and the mother of Zeus
4) Something else!

*squeals with excitement*

Don't think I can contain myself till Tuesday!

Joey

Chris Tarman
10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
And this is how it begins....
I'm glad you're getting the one you wanted! Fun, isn't it?
Cheers!
Chris

joeybug
10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
And this is how it begins....
I'm glad you're getting the one you wanted! Fun, isn't it?
Cheers!
Chris

It's a LOT of fun :D

I really don't think I'll get another one for a while though, if my dad hadn't come through for me, I wouldn't be getting this one until I'd saved up :D

roxhum
10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Congrats. I have seen that one in person, very nice. I like the look of the Luna ukes. The tatoos make me think African, I wonder if their are any priestess type african names.

I too want a pinapple and a fluke. I too have aquired 3 ukes in 2 months so need to be satisfied with the awesome ukes I already have.

Enjoy your new uku. I look forward to hear what you think of it now that you are getting so many to compare. My fav is which ever one I am playing.

cletus
10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I really don't think I'll get another one for a while though :D

This is the part called denial.
Not a river in Egypt.

Congrats on another uke!

RyanMFT
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
That's great Joey! You know, when people ask me how many uke's I have I always reply...."three fewer than I NEED"........ no matter how many I have! I play them all, as I am sure you will....enjoy, this is a great thing to bring into our lives!

Another great thing, maybe your dad will forget by Christmas, and buy you another one!

mm stan
10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Aloha Joey,
Congratulations!!! I see pops came through for you!!! how cool!! Wow three ukes in two months....I'd say that you may have been bitten by the deadly UAS flea....
Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!and let us know how it is.......Keep strumming them strings.....Take Care!!! MM Stan

Lori
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Enjoy the anticipation of getting a new ukulele! It is part of the full cycle of UAS fun... desire–shopping–deciding–ordering/ buying–receiving–playing–admiring. It's all good clean fun. As a hobby, it is far less expensive than many others, and very safe. I find playing the ukulele very soothing, and there are endless things you could learn to play on it.

–Lori

fitncrafty
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Joey... I am so excited for you! I played with that uke at the music store when I went to the shop to pick up my uke... I would say its my next uke, however yup.. it's bad.. I have a dolphin on its way to me, my hubby is going to do a custom paint job on it...
I would love a luna tattoo.. the concert is beautiful too.. do I NEED 4 ukes? I can barely play 2 songs! ;)

TOO much fun! I can't wait to hear you play!!!

Ronnie Aloha
10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Congrats on the new uke. Mahina is a common girls name in hawaii. It means "moon."

itsme
10-10-2010, 05:05 PM
...I started looking at pineapple Ukes, because of the different sound they give off.
I wouldn't say they give off a "different" sound. Theoretically, they might sound a tad fuller than a comparably built traditional style because there is more room inside the body for the sound to resonate.

joeybug, I'm happy for you and hope you like your latest acquisition. :)

But, I read the description which said "all mahogany." It did not say solid, which generally means it's laminate. Nothing wrong with laminates, but don't expect it to be some holy grail of sound.

Hippie Dribble
10-10-2010, 05:44 PM
aaaaah....Joey

Alas I fear the UAS virus has hit you hard and a 12 step programme is needed.

The good news is I am experienced in treating such ailments and can offer you this consoling advice...

step 1: the poiple
step 2: the Ohana
step 3: the Luna

if this fails:

step 4: the next ukulele that takes your fancy

if this fails:

take two asprin and call me in the morning...

yours sincerely,

Dr. Eugene.

Miss Michele
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
So cool, Joey! I'm sure I will be buying myself another uke before or near Christmas! I want one NOW though. lol

Pippin
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
To justify them is the secret. First, there are the main sizes... soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Then, of course, various tone-woods, Hawaiian Koa, mahogany, acacia, blackwood, maple (and of course typically these have spruce tops), zebrawood, mango. Then, there are those "K" company ukes. Of course, no collection is complete without at least one KoAloha, Kamaka, or other "K" brand, Hawaiian-made uke. Finally, there are the luthier builds... and a passal of builders that are perfect for any collector Mike DaSilva, Rick Turner, Peter Hurney, Pete Howlett (UK), Chuck Moore, Dave Means, etc... and vintage... Martin, Santos, Lyon & Healy, Favilla, Gibson...

A twelve step program? Now, is that really necessary?

hehehe

joeybug
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
aaaaah....Joey

Alas I fear the UAS virus has hit you hard and a 12 step programme is needed.

The good news is I am experienced in treating such ailments and can offer you this consoling advice...

step 1: the poiple
step 2: the Ohana
step 3: the Luna

if this fails:

step 4: the next ukulele that takes your fancy

if this fails:

take two asprin and call me in the morning...

yours sincerely,

Dr. Eugene.

LOL! I shall try to resist the urge to buy another new Uke before the New Year :D About to pay for the Luna :D

joeybug
10-10-2010, 09:22 PM
To justify them is the secret. First, there are the main sizes... soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Then, of course, various tone-woods, Hawaiian Koa, mahogany, acacia, blackwood, maple (and of course typically these have spruce tops), zebrawood, mango. Then, there are those "K" company ukes. Of course, no collection is complete without at least one KoAloha, Kamaka, or other "K" brand, Hawaiian-made uke. Finally, there are the luthier builds... and a passal of builders that are perfect for any collector Mike DaSilva, Rick Turner, Peter Hurney, Pete Howlett (UK), Chuck Moore, Dave Means, etc... and vintage... Martin, Santos, Lyon & Healy, Favilla, Gibson...

A twelve step program? Now, is that really necessary?

hehehe

Justify? well, I needed the Ohana because my first Uke was a cheapie, and I need the Luna because...ummm...it's a pineapple..yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

France
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
It's all good clean fun. As a hobby, it is far less expensive than many others, and very safe.

–Lori

Ukulele is like crack for the music world. Strung out (get it) junkies everywhere.

Kitsune
10-10-2010, 09:41 PM
How about the name Selene, she is the actual moon titaness who Artemis became idetified with in Greek mythology. The Roman equivalent is Luna, so basically you'd be calling her the Greek version of Luna. Kind of clever.

ADD
10-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Joey, another nice uke to play. I like one of the names you mentioned - Rhea, but Selene is such a pretty name. Or she/he? might have something else in mind. You never know.

brucemoffatt
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I read most of the thread with bemusement before checking out the link. There is no way you could have resisted that uke, it's almost criminally attractive. Great that you've captured it, I'm sure you'll have caboodles of fun with your moon godess. I can't wait to see a video of you playing it.

Bruce in Adelaide

fitncrafty
10-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Ukulele is like crack for the music world. Strung out (get it) junkies everywhere.

At least it wont rot out our teeth and make us crazy!! (The second one is probably debatable!)

joeybug
10-11-2010, 01:08 AM
She's been paid for :D

She's been shipped :D

So she should arrive tomorrow since I pay for Next Day delivery :D YAY!!!

GreatGazukes
10-11-2010, 01:18 AM
and that would be, how many minutes away???

ytmr
10-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Joey I'm so jealous! It must be so awesome getting so many new ukes in such a short period of time! Congratulations!

joeybug
10-11-2010, 03:12 AM
and that would be, how many minutes away???

I have no idea! I'm not that far gone...yet!

molokinirum
10-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Hey Joey, that is a very cool looking pineapple uke!!! Could I send my Christmas list to your Dad too???
Congrats on the new uke and to your Dad!!!!!

mm stan
10-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Aloha Joey,
Congrats on the purshase of the Luna Pineapple!!!!Gee you have very fast service, is the uke store quite close to where you live...
I'm soo Happy for you!!! and it comes with Aquila's already..Woo Woooooo!!! Have fun and Enjoy!!! I think your dad is sooo cool!!! Take Care, MM Stan..

joeybug
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey Joey, that is a very cool looking pineapple uke!!! Could I send my Christmas list to your Dad too???
Congrats on the new uke and to your Dad!!!!!

LOL...You could try, but I don't think he'd buy you anything :D

joeybug
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Aloha Joey,
Congrats on the purshase of the Luna Pineapple!!!!Gee you have very fast service, is the uke store quite close to where you live...
I'm soo Happy for you!!! and it comes with Aquila's already..Woo Woooooo!!! Have fun and Enjoy!!! I think your dad is sooo cool!!! Take Care, MM Stan..

It's not that close to us, just that compared with the US, the UK is pretty small :D

Chris Tarman
10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
It's not that close to us, just that compared with the US, the UK is pretty small :D

I was just going to tell Stan that EVERYTHING in the UK is close, lol. I think if you turned it on it's side, you could about fit it in my state.

Teek
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Congrats on the new uke, I love the looks of the Lunas. I also favor pineapples! I hope you love the heck out of it when it arrives. It will sound even better in a couple of days when the strings settle in too. I wanted a Luna but just made a foray into vintage plastics, so I need to play what I have. I keep telling myself I'll be sorting out what ones I'll be selling shortly, but ahem haven't found the time. I think you should gather at least 4-5 more before you would even need to consider that! (12 Step, heck I need a 36 or 48 step program).

On the other hand my boss is a stress inducing sort and after 45 minutes on the phone dealing with him a bit ago on a well deserved and previously agree upon day off that now he says wasn't agreed upon, I just picked up three of my ukes and played until my stomach settled down.

So I say they are a good investment in one's health and well being! Cheers!

allie
10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Let us know how it sounds! I came across that uke and thought it was really cute but wasn't sure about the sound quality :P

joeybug
10-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Congrats on the new uke, I love the looks of the Lunas. I also favor pineapples! I hope you love the heck out of it when it arrives. It will sound even better in a couple of days when the strings settle in too. I wanted a Luna but just made a foray into vintage plastics, so I need to play what I have. I keep telling myself I'll be sorting out what ones I'll be selling shortly, but ahem haven't found the time. I think you should gather at least 4-5 more before you would even need to consider that! (12 Step, heck I need a 36 or 48 step program).

On the other hand my boss is a stress inducing sort and after 45 minutes on the phone dealing with him a bit ago on a well deserved and previously agree upon day off that now he says wasn't agreed upon, I just picked up three of my ukes and played until my stomach settled down.

So I say they are a good investment in one's health and well being! Cheers!

I can totally agree with that, on bad pain days, if I can concentrate on playing, they do help me cope with the pain!

joeybug
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Let us know how it sounds! I came across that uke and thought it was really cute but wasn't sure about the sound quality :P

I will post a sound sample when she arrives and she's all tuned up and ready :D

joeybug
10-12-2010, 12:44 AM
She's arrived! After much deliberating, I've decided to call her Rhea!

Here's the photos of her arrival:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea004.jpg

joeybug
10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea008.jpg

joeybug
10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Rhea010.jpg

Sound sample to follow shortly :D

fitncrafty
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I love that uke... I hope you do to! Can't wait to hear you play her!

joeybug
10-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I love that uke... I hope you do to! Can't wait to hear you play her!

She sounds DIVINE!!! Different to Lilo and much different to Astrid :D

I'm just deciding which sound sample to use :D

GreatGazukes
10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Nice uke Joey! The tattoo looks really good, like it is 3D, I'm impressed. I suspect you've a smile that'll be hard to shift when you're playing her.

Cheers, Tony

joeybug
10-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Nice uke Joey! The tattoo looks really good, like it is 3D, I'm impressed. I suspect you've a smile that'll be hard to shift when you're playing her.

Cheers, Tony

Yep, I do...I think that'll be all my Uke spending for this year....unless I win the lottery and can afford a custom build! I'm just uploading the sound sample now :D

fitncrafty
10-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Good thing this year is almost over!!!

joeybug
10-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Good thing this year is almost over!!!

Hence why I said this year...it's almost over and who knows what I'll find come January 1st! But alas, I just can't afford to spend any more money on Ukes, unless everyone else doesn't mind not getting a present :p

joeybug
10-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Sound Sample as promised :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQlV-liRZM4

roxhum
10-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Yes I agree, she is a beauty and she sounds gorgeous.

joeybug
10-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Yes I agree, she is a beauty and she sounds gorgeous.

Thanks :D I've been struggling to get a song to sound right on Astrid and Lilo, on Rhea, it's perfect!

mm stan
10-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks :D I've been struggling to get a song to sound right on Astrid and Lilo, on Rhea, it's perfect!

Aloha Joey,
Congrats on your new purchase, I think Rhea is absoututely beautiful and her bag is nice too..and I agree she sounds alot sweeter than Lilo and Astrid...
I'm sure you're really love her and have the biggest smile from cheek to cheek....And Thank you for sharing with us the introduction video of Rhea,
and you receiving her....that was really nice....Have Fun Girl and enjoy!!! I know what you'll be doing most of the time now...Take Care, MM Stan...

Coconut Willie
10-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey Joey, that Rhea is one awesome uke!! I love the tatoo look and BTW it sounds really good!! Congrats!!
So what's next on your list?????? LOL

joeybug
10-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Aloha Joey,
Congrats on your new purchase, I think Rhea is absoututely beautiful and her bag is nice too..and I agree she sounds alot sweeter than Lilo and Astrid...
I'm sure you're really love her and have the biggest smile from cheek to cheek....And Thank you for sharing with us the introduction video of Rhea,
and you receiving her....that was really nice....Have Fun Girl and enjoy!!! I know what you'll be doing most of the time now...Take Care, MM Stan...

As you can see by my new pic in my signature, I've had all three of them out today and tuned them all, played a little on them on, but I have extra school work this week so I'll have to tear myself away from Rhea and the other two and do that!

joeybug
10-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Hey Joey, that Rhea is one awesome uke!! I love the tatoo lookk and BTW it sounds really good!! Congrats!!
So what's next on your list?????? LOL

LOL, I don't know, the UAS has me in it's grips, but I only got Rhea because Dad paid for it, so I'll have to save and see about getting a new one, if I see one I like, in the New Year...big maybe there!

cletus
10-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Looks and sounds awesome. Nicely done, Dad!

Thanks for sharing.

v30
10-12-2010, 07:32 AM
That's a great looking rig. I am in the same boat as you in that I had purchased 3 ukes in about 2 months. I eventually gave the first one to my nephew though (who's a guitar player)....figured I would try and spread the disease ;)

joeybug
10-12-2010, 07:48 AM
That's a great looking rig. I am in the same boat as you in that I had purchased 3 ukes in about 2 months. I eventually gave the first one to my nephew though (who's a guitar player)....figured I would try and spread the disease ;)

Oh I won't give any of mine up, technically I've purchased four, but one is for my God daughter who lives with me for her sixth birthday on the 21st. She's already really jealous that I have three and she has none...

Tudorp
10-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Congrats on the new Pineberry..

Think Zappa and call it "Unit" as in "Moon Unit".lol. Ah nevermind that is stupid and your choices are better, or the Hawaiian girls name one mentioned. I really liked that one..

NatalieS
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Congratulations on your Luna uke! You're right, it looks AND sounds gorgeous. :) I'm really impressed with your sound sample too... it looks like your strumming is coming more and more naturally, yeah? Anyways, I'm so glad you're happy with her!

joeybug
10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Congratulations on your Luna uke! You're right, it looks AND sounds gorgeous. :) I'm really impressed with your sound sample too... it looks like your strumming is coming more and more naturally, yeah? Anyways, I'm so glad you're happy with her!

If only I could get the up strum down, I'd be set!

NatalieS
10-12-2010, 09:12 AM
If only I could get the up strum down, I'd be set!

Yeah, I had a hard time when I was starting out. The most important thing I was told is that there's no one right way to play. A lot of people use their thumb. I use my index finger for both up and down strokes. When I want to play more quietly, I use my thumb pad for down strokes and my index finger pad for up strokes. But it took a long time for anything to feel "natural".

joeybug
10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I had a hard time when I was starting out. The most important thing I was told is that there's no one right way to play. A lot of people use their thumb. I use my index finger for both up and down strokes. When I want to play more quietly, I use my thumb pad for down strokes and my index finger pad for up strokes. But it took a long time for anything to feel "natural".

I'm thinking of taking lessons to get my strumming and any other areas improved...we'll see it depends on the bank balance and whether I can get it over skype. I'll get there on my own I'm sure, but I have a lot of songs I've listed in my book as "I can play this" and none of them have the right strumming patterns unless I use the pick, which I don't want to rely on doing!

molokinirum
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Aw Joey...you're killing me!!!!! LOL No really Rhea is simply a beautiful uke and that tatoo on the body is incredible!! Plus it sounds great. Are those aquila strings on Rhea?
Keep going....you're doing GREAT!!!!

Chris Tarman
10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Congratulations! She sounds really nice, and I agree with Natalie: your strumming is coming along nicely and you seem to feel more natural using your fingers. Keep working on it, and remember to play those other two ukes some too!
Cheers,
Chris

ADD
10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Rhea sounds great and looks beautiful. So happy for you. Soundwise which do you like best? Easy of playing? Would love to hear you play the same part of a song on Astrid, Lilo and Rhea to compare the sound of each, in one soundclip. Enjoy!

joeybug
10-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Rhea sounds great and looks beautiful. So happy for you. Soundwise which do you like best? Easy of playing? Would love to hear you play the same part of a song on Astrid, Lilo and Rhea to compare the sound of each, in one soundclip. Enjoy!

I can do that! They're all aquila strings so it would just be the sound of them I'd be comparing...hmm, watch this space!

bobj
10-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Ahh! I am not the first to say it, but that tattoo pineapple looks really cool.
I really like the pic of your 3 ukes together :-)

ADD
10-13-2010, 12:12 AM
I can do that! They're all aquila strings so it would just be the sound of them I'd be comparing...hmm, watch this space!

Great. Look forward to it. You could make it interesting and not show which one you are playing, then reveal at the end. We could probably guess which sound sample is Astrid, but might not be sure about Lilo and Rhea.

joeybug
10-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Great. Look forward to it. You could make it interesting and not show which one you are playing, then reveal at the end. We could probably guess which sound sample is Astrid, but might not be sure about Lilo and Rhea.

That may be my task for today!

joeybug
10-13-2010, 03:59 AM
I have accepted your challenge ADD, and the post is up - see if you can guess which is which...

ADD
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I have accepted your challenge ADD, and the post is up - see if you can guess which is which...

Darn, can't find it. Where did you post it; where's the link? Hope that isn't a stupid question, but have to admit computers confuse me at times.

bobby b
10-13-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?36915-Experiment-Can-You-Guess-The-Uke

:music:

ADD
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?36915-Experiment-Can-You-Guess-The-Uke

:music:

Thanks, bobby b, for the link. I looked in New Posts and didn't see it. Either I'm blind, my eyes were closed or I just can't read. Now got to go back and listen again before my decision is final which I will post.