I have UAS very badly!

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

So, you all know that last Saturday after admiring it on eBay, I paid for my Ohana SK10S - also known as "Lilo". Well, after that I started looking at pineapple Ukes, because of the different sound they give off.

So, I had my heart set on this one. For the link shy, it's a Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano Ukulele. I was talking with my dad about my playing and he asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said that I wanted money towards the above but that I was worried they would sell out before Christmas.

I'd emailed the seller and asked about stock supplies and they said they couldn't guarantee it would a) be in stock after Christmas and b) be at the same price because of the new VAT rises coming into effect Jan 1st 2011. So, while talking with my dad, he said that as long as I didn't mind, he'd pay for it now, let me have it now and I'd have it as an early Christmas present...

SOOOO...I've brought it from eBay, he's gonna pay tomorrow and since it's Next Day shipping it should be here Tuesday!

I had plans to buy a couple more headstock parts for my lovely Uke Leash, which I'll do Saturday (guess I knew I'd eventually get a pineapple which is why I wanted two!) and she comes with Aquila strings as standard, plus I have three sets of those on the way too (one set for Astrid and a couple spare) So, I'm all set until the next Uke takes my fancy...which should be a long while seeing as how I'll have gotten THREE within two months!!! Plus the Luna comes with a fitted Gig Bag so I don't have to worry about that part of it!

Yes, the UAS is strong in this one :D

Now names, I've narrowed it down to three since she's a Luna, that makes me think of Moons, so should she be:

1) Io - one of Jupiter's moons and features in Greek Mythology
2) Artemis - Greek Goddess of the Moon (I think!)
3) Rhea - one of Saturn's moons and the mother of Zeus
4) Something else!

*squeals with excitement*

Don't think I can contain myself till Tuesday!

Joey

And this is how it begins....
I'm glad you're getting the one you wanted! Fun, isn't it?
Cheers!
Chris

And this is how it begins....
I'm glad you're getting the one you wanted! Fun, isn't it?
Cheers!
Chris

It's a LOT of fun :D

I really don't think I'll get another one for a while though, if my dad hadn't come through for me, I wouldn't be getting this one until I'd saved up :D

Congrats. I have seen that one in person, very nice. I like the look of the Luna ukes. The tatoos make me think African, I wonder if their are any priestess type african names.

I too want a pinapple and a fluke. I too have aquired 3 ukes in 2 months so need to be satisfied with the awesome ukes I already have.

Enjoy your new uku. I look forward to hear what you think of it now that you are getting so many to compare. My fav is which ever one I am playing.

That's great Joey! You know, when people ask me how many uke's I have I always reply...."three fewer than I NEED"........ no matter how many I have! I play them all, as I am sure you will....enjoy, this is a great thing to bring into our lives!

Another great thing, maybe your dad will forget by Christmas, and buy you another one!

Aloha Joey,
Congratulations!!! I see pops came through for you!!! how cool!! Wow three ukes in two months....I'd say that you may have been bitten by the deadly UAS flea....
Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!and let us know how it is.......Keep strumming them strings.....Take Care!!! MM Stan

Enjoy the anticipation of getting a new ukulele! It is part of the full cycle of UAS fun... desire–shopping–deciding–ordering/ buying–receiving–playing–admiring. It's all good clean fun. As a hobby, it is far less expensive than many others, and very safe. I find playing the ukulele very soothing, and there are endless things you could learn to play on it.

–Lori

Joey... I am so excited for you! I played with that uke at the music store when I went to the shop to pick up my uke... I would say its my next uke, however yup.. it's bad.. I have a dolphin on its way to me, my hubby is going to do a custom paint job on it...
I would love a luna tattoo.. the concert is beautiful too.. do I NEED 4 ukes? I can barely play 2 songs! ;)

TOO much fun! I can't wait to hear you play!!!

...I started looking at pineapple Ukes, because of the different sound they give off.
I wouldn't say they give off a "different" sound. Theoretically, they might sound a tad fuller than a comparably built traditional style because there is more room inside the body for the sound to resonate.

joeybug, I'm happy for you and hope you like your latest acquisition. :)

But, I read the description which said "all mahogany." It did not say solid, which generally means it's laminate. Nothing wrong with laminates, but don't expect it to be some holy grail of sound.

aaaaah....Joey

Alas I fear the UAS virus has hit you hard and a 12 step programme is needed.

The good news is I am experienced in treating such ailments and can offer you this consoling advice...

step 1: the poiple
step 2: the Ohana
step 3: the Luna

if this fails:

step 4: the next ukulele that takes your fancy

if this fails:

take two asprin and call me in the morning...

yours sincerely,

Dr. Eugene.

To justify them is the secret. First, there are the main sizes... soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Then, of course, various tone-woods, Hawaiian Koa, mahogany, acacia, blackwood, maple (and of course typically these have spruce tops), zebrawood, mango. Then, there are those "K" company ukes. Of course, no collection is complete without at least one KoAloha, Kamaka, or other "K" brand, Hawaiian-made uke. Finally, there are the luthier builds... and a passal of builders that are perfect for any collector Mike DaSilva, Rick Turner, Peter Hurney, Pete Howlett (UK), Chuck Moore, Dave Means, etc... and vintage... Martin, Santos, Lyon & Healy, Favilla, Gibson...

A twelve step program? Now, is that really necessary?

hehehe

aaaaah....Joey

Alas I fear the UAS virus has hit you hard and a 12 step programme is needed.

The good news is I am experienced in treating such ailments and can offer you this consoling advice...

step 1: the poiple
step 2: the Ohana
step 3: the Luna

if this fails:

step 4: the next ukulele that takes your fancy

if this fails:

take two asprin and call me in the morning...

yours sincerely,

Dr. Eugene.

LOL! I shall try to resist the urge to buy another new Uke before the New Year :D About to pay for the Luna :D

To justify them is the secret. First, there are the main sizes... soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Then, of course, various tone-woods, Hawaiian Koa, mahogany, acacia, blackwood, maple (and of course typically these have spruce tops), zebrawood, mango. Then, there are those "K" company ukes. Of course, no collection is complete without at least one KoAloha, Kamaka, or other "K" brand, Hawaiian-made uke. Finally, there are the luthier builds... and a passal of builders that are perfect for any collector Mike DaSilva, Rick Turner, Peter Hurney, Pete Howlett (UK), Chuck Moore, Dave Means, etc... and vintage... Martin, Santos, Lyon & Healy, Favilla, Gibson...

A twelve step program? Now, is that really necessary?

hehehe

Justify? well, I needed the Ohana because my first Uke was a cheapie, and I need the Luna because...ummm...it's a pineapple..yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

It's all good clean fun. As a hobby, it is far less expensive than many others, and very safe.

–Lori

Ukulele is like crack for the music world. Strung out (get it) junkies everywhere.

How about the name Selene, she is the actual moon titaness who Artemis became idetified with in Greek mythology. The Roman equivalent is Luna, so basically you'd be calling her the Greek version of Luna. Kind of clever.

Joey, another nice uke to play. I like one of the names you mentioned - Rhea, but Selene is such a pretty name. Or she/he? might have something else in mind. You never know.

Last edited:
I read most of the thread with bemusement before checking out the link. There is no way you could have resisted that uke, it's almost criminally attractive. Great that you've captured it, I'm sure you'll have caboodles of fun with your moon godess. I can't wait to see a video of you playing it.

Bruce in Adelaide

Top Bottom