Laminate Uke Question.

fromthee2me

Reaction score
Laminate Uke Question.

Are the sound properties of a ukulele build out of a solid wood (Koa, Mahogany), reproduced (detectable in terms of the wood?) when the same sized ukulele is built out of a Koa or Mahogany laminate?

People will tell you that this is true, and maybe it is (I haven't experienced it yet). However, don't equate "laminate" with "plywood". Modern instrument laminates are very well made materials. They're thin and resonant and make very nice instruments which sound great and and cost a lot less.

In my experience, no.
It always cracked me up when an outer layer was the choice wood and the inner layer was something cheaper, but most use the same wood type for the outer layers now - but then the inside (meat of the sandwich) wood may be something different.

The newer thinner laminates sound good, but to my ear not as good as solids.

In my experiance, solid does have a "fuller" sound. But, that said, doesn't mean laminates are not a good thing. Like also said above, some are very good quality. I am guessing the science of it is how fluid the sound waves can vibrate through any given substrate. A sound waves vibrate differently though a solid, harder sustance than it does a non solid or softer substance. It is also said that on a small instrument like a soprano uke, even a solid wood book matched back can sound different than a solid non book matched back. I guess scientifically it makes sense seeing the sound waves have to flow through two separate pieces of wood, and a layer of glue vs having no obsticles, but I have to admit, my ear would have a hard time distiquishing the difference..

Point is, I think sometimes it is way over anylalized. Unless you are some music, or sound scientists conducting a high end orchestra profesionally or something, but rather somebody that just likes to play, and your uke sounds good to you whether it be plastic, wood, laminates, or wicker, play it and enjoy it.

I have played both and I think there is a difference. But I didn't think it was a huge difference. I ended up buying the laminate Uke I just preferred its tone and it projected well. The Uke is also my third instrument behind the Mandolin and Violin.I also wanted a instrument I could play take to the beach or in the camper. So I wanted something that was durable.

I agree with all that has been written. I started with a little second hand entry level Lanikai and I just had to get a solid wood uku and when I did I was surprised how well the laminate held up next to the solid wood. The solid wood is nicer, a richer sound, but the difference was surprisingly less than I expected.

Depends on the uke and the price. Flukes and Fleas use thin Australian hoop pine laminated tops. The delectable Kiwaya Japanese ukes have a brilliant thin laminate range - not cheap though

Good Laminates

We are actually doing a couple of test instruments now. Same except one will have a laminate back - the other solid. A lot goes into making a good quality piece of laminate: materials throughout the layers, thickness, lay-up and glue. If it is done right, you can not only get better projection, but even a better tap tone.

We have done this for a couple of folks in the past, but this time we wanted to present "test results", complete with sound files. It has always been a design goal for us to be able to offer an instrument that could be relatively carefree, but without compromise in sound quality.

For a small shop, it is actually much more expensive, but some of the top guitar makers build in this fashion. In a manufacturing situation, aside from warranty savings, top quality lamination is still a somewhat costly process. Therefore, if you are looking for the best possible sound, beware of a laminate instrument that is significantly less money than a solid.

To me it all depends on 1) how the uke sounds to you, either a Laminate or a Solid and your preference to the sound emitted and 2) your budget. Laminate ukes cost much less than a solid uke. A very good quality laminate uke will usually fill the bill, unless you really desire a solid uke!

Depends on the uke and the price. Flukes and Fleas use thin Australian hoop pine laminated tops. The delectable Kiwaya Japanese ukes have a brilliant thin laminate range - not cheap though

Aloha Paul,
Wasnt aware Kiwaya's are Laminates....is their top of the line laminate too???? MM Stan..

Thanks everybody for your replies. The general consensus of the people who replied, is that the sound between a laminate and a solidly built uke is detectable.
Pauljmuk you wrote "it depends on the price" What do you mean by that?
I interpreted that you meant that increased cost could be related to improved sound only, or is it improved sound plus better quality of materials and finish ?

Laminate Uke Question.

Are the sound properties of a ukulele build out of a solid wood (Koa, Mahogany), reproduced (detectable in terms of the wood?) when the same sized ukulele is built out of a Koa or Mahogany laminate?
To answer your first question, yes, but you have to listen very hard. There are pros and cons to all ukulele construction. The modern laminates used by most reputable companies are more forgiving of bad handling as the laminates are more stable, but the sound you get is all there is...the sound won't mature or open up with age. A well made solid wood ukulele...if given proper care will sound better and better as the wood ages. The down side is you have to be more careful in the handling and storage of solid wood ukes. Personally, I think the extra care is more than offset by the nuanced sound you get. All things being equal, price/quality of workmanship/ergonomics etc., a nice solid uke is hard to beat! :cool:

Aloha Paul,
Wasnt aware Kiwaya's are Laminates....is their top of the line laminate too???? MM Stan..

I believe at the high-end they have some solid wood instruments. Don't see many of them, though.

I believe todays technology is pretty awesome and the glue and construction of a laminate instrument are excellent.
How a solid vs. laminate instrument will change over time is something that only time will tell.
I would guess a solid wood instrument would age, open up and mellow more than a laminate.

I believe at the high-end they have some solid wood instruments. Don't see many of them, though.
I'm pretty sure most of Kiwaya's ukuleles are solid wood. Only the low end ones are laminated and they only came out recently. The model is KS-1 and if I remember correctly ( I'm old so this doesn't happen often ) there is a KC-1 , soprano and concert. I'm too lazy to check the website. Great ukuleles.

I'm pretty sure most of Kiwaya's ukuleles are solid wood. Only the low end ones are laminated and they only came out recently. The model is KS-1 and if I remember correctly ( I'm old so this doesn't happen often ) there is a KC-1 , soprano and concert. I'm too lazy to check the website. Great ukuleles.
I was right, I didnt remember correctly. Kiwaya has the KS models which are soprano laminates in different configurations.
The rest of their ukes are solid.

Last edited:
What opens up?

... laminates are more stable, but the sound you get is all there is...the sound won't mature or open up with age. A well made solid wood ukulele...if given proper care will sound better and better as the wood ages. :

The effect of back & sides "opening up" is almost nil. The soundboard is by far the dominant element, and if you have a solid soundboard, especially softwood, it will "mature" etc. regardless of the rest of the materials.

The sides and back need to be sound reflectors. This is where typical "plywood" construction falls short. Poor wood selection, poor construction, sound absorbing glue, etc. all contribute to dampening the sound of a good topwood. Even with a poor start from bad ply construction, however, a decent solid soundboard will improve with time.

On the second batch of comments, the point of "opening up" was raised, and a bit further on, I read that Japanese clients are of the opinion that the laminate opens up after a very long period of time. Maybe the wood's properties do come to the fore? The advantages are more stability and ruggedness in terms of atmospheric conditions changing, and laminates have increased strength for less bracing. And Music Guy Mic has proved (beyond doubt) with a "blind" (as in tasting) soundclip quiz, that there are not many people able to tell the difference between an instrument made from laminate or from solid wood. Could the increased strength of a laminate mean that they can be produced quicker, and could the curing time of the final finish also be shortened? Where is the cost saving(s) achieved? When the laminate (for music instruments) is constructed, are natural materials used? I am trying to also find out if laminate has a limited lifespan and can perish over a long period of time? Maybe the glues break down (over time) between the thin wood slithers?

Top Bottom