PDA

View Full Version : Banjolele by Morgan Monroe

sockmonkey
10-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Hi,

My first post…

Just bought a Banjolele on ebay from guitarology ($235 with gig bag included)… A Morgan Monroe MM-UB1 – I posted a video on YouTube playing a couple of songs – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwKKP5hXW4 – * I was really tired and called the Banjo head a Mandolin head : -)

From the Web - Stained maple is used for the construction as well as for the bound mini resonator which is attached to the back with a slight gap allowing for the toneful sound of this uke to flow out. Combined with the weathered Remo Fiberskyn head and antiqued brass hardware.

I went online and found the same or really similar Banjolele in England, but called the Countyman by Hohner… I have since changed out the strings with a set of Aquila Banjo Uke strings, they have a more even tone and richer sound. I worked a little on the bridge and intonation after watching a Banjo setup video on YouTube. The intonation is good now.

This is the only Banjolele I have played and my first impression is very good, I Iike it… I like the finish, color and brass… Folks I’ve played for, really like the sound, ‘Old Time’… From a distance, it looks like it could have time traveled from the 1920’s.

Penguinofsorts
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
That looks great! I have the MM-UB1f on backorder from another site...and it was more expensive! I may have to cancel that order and get one off of ebay! I can't wait for mine to get here!!

bornagainjeeper
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
it sounds nice, especially for the price...so many banjo ukes are up near 500 dollars, its nice to see mainland and this one producing a much less expensive product. I've looked into getting one of these for a while now, and i still may, my only complaint is they arn't quite banjo sounding enough. Not enough plunkiness to them, a little too warm. That could prolly be fixed by tuning up a step and adjusting the skin tension if possible.

Chris Tarman
10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about these. I think I will wait to see one of the Mainlands when they come out, before I jump in and buy anything. I saw an old Gibson in an antique store, but they were asking $500 for it. I guess the days of finding things like that for very little money are coming to a close. Thanks, internet!

sockmonkey
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Just recorded a new sound file of the MM-UB1 Banjolele... It has new Aqulia Banjo-Uke strings (third string is metal wound) and I worked on the intonation... Have had the Banjolele for about a week, and the wood and head have settled in to the Los Angeles climate... The MP3 is 4 min. ending with a instrument solo (no singing)... The sound has changed over the week - http://urbandharma.org/mp3/banjolele.mp3 -

icuker
10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
My wife wanted to buy one at our local shop here in town. I wasn't too enthused myself, but when we got it home, I began to have a lot of fun with. Now I'm sold, I really, really like it. James sells three here in town, we bought the middle priced one, it is very fun....It's great for the older songs, and gospel tunes. I even play it on some of our modern offerings and it adds a nice element to those, as well. Have fun....

rasputinsghost
10-18-2010, 05:40 AM
I have a MM and I honestly think you can't beat it for the price.