What's a good song for a violin and ukulele duet?

Penguins Fly

Reaction score
For a fund raiser talent show, a friend and I want to do a duet. The talent show is actually in late November, but we want to start practicing soon as possible. Any suggestions on how we should play and what songs would sound good? The only thing I don't want to do is a popular modern song.
Also, I'm thinking for the intro, one should solo and then the other would pitch in. After a verse the other has its turn to solo and then they combine again for the end.
If you have experience playing ukulele and violin together, you are MORE than welcome to share. Thanks!

For a fund raiser talent show, a friend and I want to do a duet. The talent show is actually in late November, but we want to start practicing soon as possible. Any suggestions on how we should play and what songs would sound good? The only thing I don't want to do is a popular modern song.
Also, I'm thinking for the intro, one should solo and then the other would pitch in. After a verse the other has its turn to solo and then they combine again for the end.
If you have experience playing ukulele and violin together, you are MORE than welcome to share. Thanks!

Something lyrical with a good chance for background chords.

Autumn Leaves jumped to my mind. Or Pachelbel's Canon.

My song "Andi" just cries out for a slow, sorrowful violin sound. I have been thinking about that ever since I wrote it:

Or maybe Ashokan Farewell?

I was about to post the same thing. My GF plays violin, and we've done this song together several times. Works well.

Some gypsy jazz would be good too.

JJ

I'm really liking Autumn Leaves (I had to look up this and Ashokan Farewell. Ha, I feel kinda lame). Do any of yall know if strumming would sound okay, or should I only fingerpick?

I reckon any old-time folk tune would sound great...soldier's joy, cindy, john hardy, careless love etc etc etc there are hundreds of them...you could do the rhythm part on your uke while your violinist solos and then the violin could do the percussive thing with the bow if you wanted to do some hot pickin'!!!

I wouldn't go too slow and weepy, how about "On the Sunny Side of the Street" or "Ain't Misbehavin"?

Also some Irish stuff might be cool, the Riverdance Experience.

Awakening this old thread to ask the same question, but with a restriction: I would prefer something already arranged for which I could get the sheet music. This is for my violinist daughter and I to perform together. She's quite advanced (think Vivaldi) and I don't mind a challenge, but if there's a limiting factor it will be me so if one part is simpler, uke is best.

Any suggestions?

Have you ever seen master and commander? the final duet of this film is an arrangement from a Boccherini's quintet, the movement called pasacalle.

My harmonica playing friend and I are working on a duet of "Sway" which might lend itself to violin as well.

Top Bottom