PDA

View Full Version : KoAloha Strings vs Worth Clears?

iDavid
10-12-2010, 01:46 AM
I spoke with the guys at KoAloha and they put their own strings on their ukes, bu they don't sell those strings.... bummer

I've played worth clears on a Mainland tenor, but that's my only experience with worth clears.

How do the Worth clears compare to the KoAloha's??????

I am totally paranoid about taking the stock strings off my KoAloha concert.

bazmaz
10-12-2010, 02:18 AM
You can buy Ko'Aloha strings - I have a pack on the shelf next to me and a set on my Flea - they are called Ko'Aloha Golds

haolejohn
10-12-2010, 02:47 AM
You can buy Ko'Aloha strings - I have a pack on the shelf next to me and a set on my Flea - they are called Ko'Aloha Golds

You sure those aren't Ko'olau Golds?

Kanaka916
10-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Paul, I believe you have the brands mixed . . . It's Ko'olau Golds, not KoAloha. KoAloha currently endorses Worth and are supposedly developing or coming out with their own brand of flouro-carbon strings.

http://elderly.com/images/accessories/STR/KTW3.jpg

haolejohn
10-12-2010, 02:51 AM
I spoke with the guys at KoAloha and they put their own strings on their ukes, bu they don't sell those strings.... bummer

I've played worth clears on a Mainland tenor, but that's my only experience with worth clears.

Dave, Unless I am wrong, KoAloha strings and worth clears are really the same thing? I took my KoAloha strings off my concert and put Worth Browns on there. I love it. I still have KoAloha strings on my wife's long neck but I swapped the sceptre's strings out for some freemont blacklines.

bazmaz
10-12-2010, 03:19 AM
my bad, sorry!

iDavid
10-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Dave, Unless I am wrong, KoAloha strings and worth clears are really the same thing? I took my KoAloha strings off my concert and put Worth Browns on there. I love it. I still have KoAloha strings on my wife's long neck but I swapped the sceptre's strings out for some freemont blacklines.

I got the info straight from KoAloha, but if you can't hear the difference then I'm good.

I like the Worth Browns also, but did not like the feel of Fremont's at all.

casarole45
10-12-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm pretty certain KoAloha strings are worth clears.... 99.9% certain anyway (but 99.9% sure can still get you pregnant =P )

iDavid
10-12-2010, 04:09 AM
I'm pretty certain KoAloha strings are worth clears.... 99.9% certain anyway (but 99.9% sure can still get you pregnant =P )

why would they tell me otherwise.... I think you maybe having a baby soon ;)

casarole45
10-12-2010, 04:15 AM
dunno, maybe they misunderstood or something... but as you maybe aware on the Worth packets it says 'Endorsed by Koaloha Ukulele', which would suggest to me they use worths.

I own a Koaloha and have bought Worth clears and they seem the same to me.

... oh yeah baby is on the way =D

cletus
10-12-2010, 04:48 AM
... oh yeah baby is on the way =D

Congrats, you look mah-velous!

casarole45
10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Congrats, you look mah-velous!

lol =D ... urm... damit it wants me to type 10 characters or more... urm.. that'll do.

MangoMon
10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm glad this topic came up. I've been putting off changing my Koalohas. Thanks David

iDavid
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
So, here is my summary.

They are different, but are similar enough that it doesn't matter....

Now, is this true for the different gauge strings?

clayton56
10-13-2010, 12:06 AM
they do it so when a string finally breaks you have to order a new Koaloha.

iDavid
10-13-2010, 12:43 AM

that is what I thought

Jerlial Prophet
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Sad thing is, that may work on me.

lambchop
10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

I have tried both and while I would love and hope to own one of their ukuleles, I have to say I prefer playing Worth or Savarez Alliance.

haolejohn
10-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I got the info straight from KoAloha, but if you can't hear the difference then I'm good.

I like the Worth Browns also, but did not like the feel of Fremont's at all.

I couldn't tell a difference betweent the worth clears or koaloha strings. The only difference i noticed was the fact that it was a different uke. Fremont verdict is as of yet undecided. I haven't gotten them to fully stretch yet. It has given the sceptre more volume (as if that was needed) but I think that is just b/c they are new strings.

haolejohn
10-13-2010, 07:22 PM
why would they tell me otherwise.... I think you maybe having a baby soon ;)

i was told by Brian while at the factory that the Koaloha strings are worths made specifically to koaloha's standards. they are made at same factory just koaloha. Basically without telling me they were same strings, he told me they were the same strings. kinda like chevy and gmc.

edgar44
10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Talk here is of placing Worth on Koaloha but how about a Kanile'a? Any experiance there? I have two Kanile'as; a concert and a super concert. I plan on fitting the super concert with a MiSi pick up soon. Ed

haolejohn
10-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Talk here is of placing Worth on Koaloha but how about a Kanile'a? Any experiance there? I have two Kanile'as; a concert and a super concert. I plan on fitting the super concert with a MiSi pick up soon. Ed

IMO worths are the best uke string. I will eventually have them on all my ukes.

Ingrate
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
When I got my KoAloha at Larry's in Koloa, Kauai'i on Monday, Joe said they were Worth clear strings.

Does that confuse things enough?

..I just noticed that my avatar seriously needs an upgrade!

CTurner
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM

I love Worth CD on my Kanile'a concert and use Worth low g HD on my tenor--these strings to my ear match up really well with the full, deeper sound that Kanile'a tends to produce. The Worths bring out the higher notes in a nice balance and personally I like the slightly thinner Worths compared to Aquilas.

CTurner
10-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Music Guy Mike emailed me in response to my question of what was my new Koaloha Pikake soprano strung with: Worth CM strings.

casarole45
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
They are pretty much definately Worth's, I don't understand why Ko'aloha are so cagey about letting people know. The picture on the front of the Worth packaging is a bunch of Ko'aloha's, underneath its states 'endorsed by Ko'aloha', they look, sound and feel like worth strings.... if it looks, tastes and smells like pie... it surely is... pie.

Would a company go through the process of buying the massive and costly equipment to produce strings to have it running a few times a day, and not sell the strings to make up on costs... that would not make any kind of business sense. You would outsource to someone who mass produces and can therefore provide cheap strings. Also strings last ... 2 months maybe (depending on how often you change them), you wouldn't provide strings that cannot be replaced, this would also make no sense.

...unless they are all laughing at us and its actually cheap fishing line, that we are raving about ;)

... the only other explaination I can think of is maybe Worth are lending/renting them some of their old equipment to play around with..

either way great ukes, great strings and a great family... whatever those strings are :D

Doc_J
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I love Worth CD on my Kanile'a concert and use Worth low g HD on my tenor--these strings to my ear match up really well with the full, deeper sound that Kanile'a tends to produce. The Worths bring out the higher notes in a nice balance and personally I like the slightly thinner Worths compared to Aquilas.

I've got to agree with CTurner regarding the Worth CD strings. I put on a set today, in a last ditch effort to see if my Kanilea concert could sound clear loud and uniform across the strings and frets. IT DOES! I have the low-g version of the Worth CD strings. Awesome. I've tried 4 sets of strings on this in the last month (Aquila low/hi G, Worth BM low g, Kamaka) The Kamaka strings sounded very muted (the worst of the bunch). The Aquila strings sounded fine, expect on the first couple of frets on the E and A string were somewhat quiet with no resonance. The Worth browns were better, but not as clear as I would like. Also the Worth BM low g was not very good, not enough tension to feel or sound right.

Bottom line for the Kanilea Concert the Worth CD strings are what I will be using from now on. The only question is whether the CD strings are much different that the CM. I think the higher tension helps the low g string sound good compared to the Worth BM. This is the only thread I have seen that mentions the Worth CD strings. Any reason why more folks don't use these? Maybe the higher tension isn't needed with high g?

Ingrate
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
A follow-up:
I've now replaced the orig. KoAloha strings with Aquilas and they sound great.
Then I installed a set of Worth CMs - they sound great.
Now it's got a set of Worth BMs - they sound great (maybe slightly less bright than the others).

My pineapple is very bright and loud. It seems to come thru with any of these strings. YMMV.

Edit: yeah, I know. Three sets of strings in a month? I just had to know.

casarole45
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I've got to agree with CTurner regarding the Worth CD strings. I put on a set today, in a last ditch effort to see if my Kanilea concert could sound clear loud and uniform across the strings and frets. IT DOES! I have the low-g version of the Worth CD strings. Awesome. I've tried 4 sets of strings on this in the last month (Aquila low/hi G, Worth BM low g, Kamaka) The Kamaka strings sounded very muted (the worst of the bunch). The Aquila strings sounded fine, expect on the first couple of frets on the E and A string were somewhat quiet with no resonance. The Worth browns were better, but not as clear as I would like. Also the Worth BM low g was not very good, not enough tension to feel or sound right.

Bottom line for the Kanilea Concert the Worth CD strings are what I will be using from now on. The only question is whether the CD strings are much different that the CM. I think the higher tension helps the low g string sound good compared to the Worth BM. This is the only thread I have seen that mentions the Worth CD strings. Any reason why more folks don't use these? Maybe the higher tension isn't needed with high g?

I did exactly the same on my Kanile'a, the Aquila's sounded kind of muffled and droney. Changed for worth browns, and as said before it balances out the tone nicely giving a brighter ring and has a much clearer sound.

Gillian
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM

I just came back from Oahu with a new Kanile'a concert deluxe and a KoAloha long neck soprano. I also went to their factory tours which were great.

While Kanile'a puts Aquilas on their ukes, I think they deaden the sound. I put Worth Clears on mine as soon as as I got back and the sound really opened up. I sent an email to Joe Souza telling him this. Of course, this is just my opinion.

As for KoAloha, Brian said that their strings are Japanese fishing line. He said they can't afford to put Worths on them, but highly recommended Worths for their ukes. I asked him if I could buy KoAloha strings and he said not at this time.

Gillian
12-22-2010, 05:13 PM
To add to my previous post: All the Worths sound good on the Kanile'a except the low-G, which sounded flat and discordant all the way up the neck. So, I changed it out to a KoAloha low-G given to me by Brian when I bought my longneck soprano from them, (thank you Brian) and what a difference! Accurate intonation at the 12th fret. The KoAloha low-G IS different from the Worth in that it is more "clear" i.e. colour-less. They both look to be the same diameter, but with out a micrometer, I could be wrong.

Has anyone bought a packet of strings and had one of them be a dud? Could this be the case with the Worth Clear low-G I bought?

cletus
12-22-2010, 05:26 PM
As for KoAloha, Brian said that their strings are Japanese fishing line. He said they can't afford to put Worths on them, but highly recommended Worths for their ukes. I asked him if I could buy KoAloha strings and he said not at this time.

Okay, are they handing out boots before the KoAloha tour? The kind for stepping in BS?:confused:

OldPharts fishing leader/ukulele string experiment is shaping up to be epic, indeed!

Gillian
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Okay, are they handing out boots before the KoAloha tour? The kind for stepping in BS?:confused:

OldPharts fishing leader/ukulele string experiment is shaping up to be epic, indeed!

It maybe is BS, but I've got 'em on video saying this.

OldePhart
12-22-2010, 06:01 PM

No, actually, I believe what the KoAloha guy said and the experiment is kind of proving it. If he said they were using "Japanese fishing line" that's exactly what Seaguar leaders are! The set I made up is basically equivalent to Worth CM but with an E string that is a little lighter, moving it closer to the C in tension for better balance. I just put my set on the KoAloha today and my calibrated eyeball says the factory KoAloha strings are most likely the same stuff and sizes as what comes in a Worth CL set (I say that because the G and A strings seem just slightly larger in my recipe) but without calipers I can't say that for certain. The only difference between a Worth CL set and a worth CM set is that the CM uses .0224 for the G and .0205 for the A while the CL set uses .0205 for the G and .0185 for the A. The C and E strings are the same in Worth CL, CM, and, I believe, CT.

So, basically, if KoAloha is using Seaguar fluorocarbon leader in .0205, .0291, .0260, .0185 gages (g to A) then they are using "Japanese fishing line" - it just happens to be the same Japanese fishing line that is probably used in the Worth CL sets.
:biglaugh:

By the way, other than the E string being a bit less prominent for an overally slightly more mello strum (my goal) I can't feel or hear any significant difference between my "fishing line" and KoAloha's "fishing line" on my KoAloha.

John

cletus
12-22-2010, 06:24 PM
No, actually, I believe what the KoAloha guy said and the experiment is kind of proving it.

So, basically, if KoAloha is using Seaguar fluorocarbon leader in .0205, .0291, .0260, .0185 gages (g to A) then they are using "Japanese fishing line" - it just happens to be the same Japanese fishing line that is probably used in the Worth CL sets.
:biglaugh:

By the way, other than the E string being a bit less prominent for an overally slightly more mello strum (my goal) I can't feel or hear any significant difference between my "fishing line" and KoAloha's "fishing line" on my KoAloha.

John

I cannot begin to express how awesome this is.:worship::cheers::old:

Gillian
12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I did some online "fishing" and found two manufacturers of fishing line that sell the same diameters as Worths. Seaguar sells the .91mm (low-G) and .57mm (A) line, and Momoi sells the .66mm (E) and .74mm (C).

I also did some math and found that the fishing line costs ~ $0.05/inch and the Worth costs ~$0.08/inch, about 41% more per inch.

The only problem is the fishing line comes in 25 yard spools. That's like the amount you'd get if Costco sold ukulele strings...

OldePhart
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I also did some math and found that the fishing line costs ~ $0.05/inch and the Worth costs ~$0.08/inch, about 41% more per inch.

Yeah, like most quests for tone this isn't about saving money - there is just no way you're going to compete with a company that buys line by the kilometer and has automated equipment to measure, cut, and package it!

If all the Worth sets didn't have such a relatively tight E string I would have just stuck with buying Worths...

John

Mark
10-29-2011, 06:20 AM
I googled up this thread AFTER I tried restringing my Koaloha concert with Aquilas... when I tried to put in the C string, the Aquila was too fat for the slot. "Do I want to widen that slot?" I thought to myself... "or call the factory first?"

Talked to Koaloha... they recommended NOT trying to force an Aquila in there and that they now have their own strings and if I'd give them my adddress they'd be happy to send me a set. (!) (I love those guys.)

When I had the first set put on, I asked Brian to use Worth CDs so, I *thought* that's what they were... they sounded and responded like Worths and I have a set of Concert Worths ready to go (I wanted to try the Aquilas to round down the slightly tinkly highs I find (and generally like) in the Worths), but will now wait to see what the Koaloha strings look like.

Oh, for more on fishing line, drop Spanky (Mark) Gutierrez a note... I know he buys his at Cabela's. :^)

Anyway, thanks for the totally cool thread.

hiho
Mark

oldtimestrings
10-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Koaloha's reluctance to say that they are using Worth strings probably has something to do with a legal agreement between the two companies. I ran into something similar when investigating a couple different brands of fiddle strings that had the exact same description in their respective marketing information. Koaloha ukes are named on the Worth packaging. Koaloha can't say that they use Worth strings as stock equipment, but they are apparently using the same Japanese fishing line that Worth probably uses. Maybe the gauges are different, but given how many choices Worth has in gauging, I'd bet the Koaloha strings line pretty closely, if not exactly, with some Worth set.

In all of these interactions with Koaloha, has anybody asked them which specific set of Worth strings they'd recommend to reproduce the sound, feel, and performance of the stock strings? My guess that the answer would be quite revealing.

Since we're on the subject, I've always suspected that Ko'olau Alohi strings are really D'addario T2 Titaniums. Same monofilament material, and same transluscent purple hue. No big deal, but might be good to know if you're shopping around.