Alternative Scale Shapes

papplehead

Reaction score
So I was browsing the tab for the transcription of Jake's invention in D and noticed that although there were many times that plain old scales were present, alternative shapes that utilized the high g-sting were utilized.

For example:
The piece starts with an ascending d-minor scale. Normally, to play a d-minor scale I would use:

Code:
|---------0-1-3-5--------------]
|---0-1-3----------------------]
|-2----------------------------]
|------------------------------]

However, the transcription of Jake's arrangement started like this:

Code:
|---------0-----------------]
|---0-------6---------------]
|-2---5---------------------]
|-------0-------------------]

With each consecutive note on a different string.

Continuing with this pattern, the whole d-minor scale would look like this:

Code:
|---------0-----5-------------]
|---0-------6-----------------]
|-2---5-----------------------]
|-------0-----5---------------]

I really like the way that this type of picking pattern allows for each note to ring out individually. In curious to hear what all of you think of this type of scale pattern, its uses, modifications etc. I've figured out more scales this way but it seems like the only one that is really fits well. Tell me what you think.

I'm doing that style with Irish tunes and classical melodies. Re-entrant tuning makes it possible. It works on 5 string banjo as well. If you want I'll send you an mp3 or two. Yes you get the legato.

Once you go down this road your brain's not good for much else.

Very intesting, I'll look at it a little later on and work on continueing pattern and see how they work out....thanks for sharing...MM Stan...

Bill1-nice tip. Good way to utilize the high-g. Can you think of any other movable shapes that function in the same way and maybe use the full scale?
Thanks

This fingering style is called "campanella" style which was used by the late Ukulele Legend John King. I use this technique a lot and because it's good for picking fast licks.

Top Bottom