Ok here we go.

nikolo727

Reaction score
Hi everyone its me again.

anyway I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

heres my dilemma.

I am going on a mission trip for my church, to Queens, New York.

We are leaving on Sunday.

I dont have a uke to bring.

Im on the praise team for my youth group and Bringing a 300 dollar uke to Queens, New York scares the crap out of my parents and I.

I need a cheap uke.(under 100 dollars)

but that has a nice sound and whatever. You guys know what i mean.

I dont care what type it is. I dont care what kind of wood it is. All I care about is getting a cheap uke that is good to play.

I have an old hilo uke but im about to burn it cuz its not a uke. Its a piece of plywood.

help would be nice because I need to order it now so it will come in before sunday.

thanks as always,

nik

I looked at it. Does it sound ok?

I watched the video but im not sure.

I also thought about the kala kiwi.

is that a good uke?

and I also looked at the camo Kala ukulele.

is that good or should I just go with the kiwi or the makala

alright thanks again deach lol.

im actually looking at the kala mahogany baritone uke too...hmmmm

just take your uke, you'll spend most of the time re-tuning new strings with a new one on such short notice -- I'm not aware of anybody taking a beat down over an ukulele, even in Queens.

. . . . unless, of course, some fool reaches for MINE :mad:

no dude its not like that. I would take it if i was alowed.

but im not. lol

so i have to get a new uke or the entire praise team will crucify me

lol.

o btw there is like a 10 hour car ride so ill just tune it then lol.

In one of the safest cities in the world, a guy from the local uke club (FUN) got physically harassed with his G-string in the other hand. The drunk didn't notice the uke, and was too drunk to fight really, but it could have ended up that there's a Helsinki binge-drinker out there with a hell of a nice uke.

The ukester now takes along his Kala jazz tenor instead. A bit above the budget but super-cool.

I don't think, being with a church group, in broad daylight, you'd need to worry about your uke. NYC isn't the Home of Satan (tm), you'll be fine. Have your parents really thought about it, or are they just blindly scared? But then again, if they're so worked up that they'll buy you a new uke, who are you to turn them down? :D

You're going with a group, so that's a lot like if you were in a marching band. Now marching bands go to big cities for huge parades all the time. And I can't name a single instrument, not even a marching "beater", that is as cheap as 300 bucks. So, if none of those parents allowed their kids to take their instruments out-of-state - then there wouldn't be many marching bands at competitions or parades would there? Present that logical argument. Just trying to save them money and ease their fears.

The Finnish dude plays blues and folk and was out 3am with his G-String, that's a lot different. :)

Last edited:
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this --

MOM: Guess what, our dear boy Nik has been invited to go with the church on a mission trip to Queens in New York -- he and his uke will be joining the praise team on this trip -- isn't that wonderful?

DAD: Woah now, I'm just as proud and excited as you are, but we must keep in mind that Queens has a reputation for being a dangerous place. Protecting every member of our family is a top priority, and I don't want them placed in harms way.

MOM: I see your point, not everything can be replaced -- how do you think we should proceed?

<moments pass>

DAD: Hmmm... send the boy, but the uke stays.

Nik, I think you my want to step up the chores a bit buddy, it seems you may be losing favor at home :eek:

hahah j/k -- either way, have a great trip!

In one of the safest cities in the world, a guy from the local uke club (FUN) got physically harassed with his G-string in the other hand. The drunk didn't notice the uke, and was too drunk to fight really, but it could have ended up that there's a Helsinki binge-drinker out there with a hell of a nice uke.

The ukester now takes along his Kala jazz tenor instead. A bit above the budget but super-cool.

I don't think, being with a church group, in broad daylight, you'd need to worry about your uke. NYC isn't the Home of Satan (tm), you'll be fine. Have your parents really thought about it, or are they just blindly scared? But then again, if they're so worked up that they'll buy you a new uke, who are you to turn them down? :D

You're going with a group, so that's a lot like if you were in a marching band. Now marching bands go to big cities for huge parades all the time. And I can't name a single instrument, not even a marching "beater", that is as cheap as 300 bucks. So, if none of those parents allowed their kids to take their instruments out-of-state - then there wouldn't be many marching bands at competitions or parades would there? Present that logical argument. Just trying to save them money and ease their fears.

The Finnish dude plays blues and folk and was out 3am with his G-String, that's a lot different. :)

. . . if i had a nickel for every time I've had trouble with a G-string at 3am . . . . :rolleyes:

If your G string is part of an Aquila set and you're strumming them on a Makala like Deach says, then you've got a decent sounding uke that you can then take anywhere without worrying about it. Even at 3 am.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this --

MOM: Guess what, our dear boy Nik has been invited to go with the church on a mission trip to Queens in New York -- he and his uke will be joining the praise team on this trip -- isn't that wonderful?

DAD: Woah now, I'm just as proud and excited as you are, but we must keep in mind that Queens has a reputation for being a dangerous place. Protecting every member of our family is a top priority, and I don't want them placed in harms way.

MOM: I see your point, not everything can be replaced -- how do you think we should proceed?

<moments pass>

DAD: Hmmm... send the boy, but the uke stays.

Nik, I think you my want to step up the chores a bit buddy, it seems you may be losing favor at home :eek:

hahah j/k -- either way, have a great trip!

umm....both of my parents are coming too. and we are working in a soup kitchen feeding over 300 people each night. Tell me you wouldnt snatch a 300 dollar instrument and sell it, if you were homeless.

lol.

oh and btw we dont really have the money to buy another 300 dollar uke.

and we are staying in a church in the boonies.

with other homeless people.

I think the "logical" thing to do is not to bring the expensive uke.

and if i get a 35 dollar uke that sounds nice and is good enough to play....its still 35.

im not like trying to fight back its just I have a lot of family problems at home and just joking around about me not being important in the eyes of my parents kind of bothers me, cuz there might be some fact to that.

thats all.

Oh and they said they arent going to let me buy the cheap uke anymore so...whatever.

Last edited:
umm....both of my parents are coming too. and we are working in a soup kitchen feeding over 300 people each night. Tell me you wouldnt snatch a 300 dollar instrument and sell it, if you were homeless.

lol.

hi nikolo. just curious. aren't other members of your church group bringing instruments? i'm sure the church has an office where you can store your equipment after your performance and before the soup kitchen duties. i'm sure you're not the only person in your group to carry instruments, valuables, purses, etc.

it just seems like a lot of trouble to buy an extra instrument just for this one purpose. however, if this is just a ploy to justify your UAS, then please carry on.:)

EDIT: one more thing. the homeless people don't know it's a $300 ukulele unless they frequent this forum or you leave the price tag on.:)

Last edited:
If your G string is part of an Aquila set and you're strumming them on a Makala like Deach says, then you've got a decent sounding uke that you can then take anywhere without worrying about it. Even at 3 am.

thanks dude that posthelps alot.

hi nikolo. just curious. aren't other members of your church group bringing instruments? i'm sure the church has an office where you can store your equipment after your performance and before the soup kitchen duties. i'm sure you're not the only person in your group to carry instruments, valuables, purses, etc.

it just seems like a lot of trouble to buy an extra instrument just for this one purpose. however, if this is just a ploy to justify your UAS, then please carry on.:)

EDIT: one more thing. the homeless people don't know it's a $300 ukulele unless they frequent this forum or you leave the price tag on.:)

dude its not a ploy nor is it a big deal. It's just parents worrying.

thats all.

jeez

sure it may be a stupid thing to be worrying about but I cant control my parents, can I?

Top Bottom