PDA

View Full Version : Ok here we go.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone its me again.

anyway I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

heres my dilemma.

I am going on a mission trip for my church, to Queens, New York.

We are leaving on Sunday.

I dont have a uke to bring.

Im on the praise team for my youth group and Bringing a 300 dollar uke to Queens, New York scares the crap out of my parents and I.

I need a cheap uke.(under 100 dollars)

but that has a nice sound and whatever. You guys know what i mean.

I dont care what type it is. I dont care what kind of wood it is. All I care about is getting a cheap uke that is good to play.

I have an old hilo uke but im about to burn it cuz its not a uke. Its a piece of plywood.

help would be nice because I need to order it now so it will come in before sunday.

thanks as always,

nik

deach
06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Order a Makala from MGM and have him ship it priority mail.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I looked at it. Does it sound ok?

I watched the video but im not sure.

I also thought about the kala kiwi.

is that a good uke?

and I also looked at the camo Kala ukulele.

is that good or should I just go with the kiwi or the makala

deach
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't have any experience with the Kiwi or camo but I like the Makala.

here's some examples from members here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMwt2GcPjyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDVSWsqSIc

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
alright thanks again deach lol.

im actually looking at the kala mahogany baritone uke too...hmmmm

NotoriousMOK
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
just take your uke, you'll spend most of the time re-tuning new strings with a new one on such short notice -- I'm not aware of anybody taking a beat down over an ukulele, even in Queens.

. . . . unless, of course, some fool reaches for MINE :mad:

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 10:38 AM
no dude its not like that. I would take it if i was alowed.

but im not. lol

so i have to get a new uke or the entire praise team will crucify me

lol.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 10:38 AM
o btw there is like a 10 hour car ride so ill just tune it then lol.

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
In one of the safest cities in the world, a guy from the local uke club (FUN) got physically harassed with his G-string in the other hand. The drunk didn't notice the uke, and was too drunk to fight really, but it could have ended up that there's a Helsinki binge-drinker out there with a hell of a nice uke.

The ukester now takes along his Kala jazz tenor instead. A bit above the budget but super-cool.

I don't think, being with a church group, in broad daylight, you'd need to worry about your uke. NYC isn't the Home of Satan (tm), you'll be fine. Have your parents really thought about it, or are they just blindly scared? But then again, if they're so worked up that they'll buy you a new uke, who are you to turn them down? :D

You're going with a group, so that's a lot like if you were in a marching band. Now marching bands go to big cities for huge parades all the time. And I can't name a single instrument, not even a marching "beater", that is as cheap as 300 bucks. So, if none of those parents allowed their kids to take their instruments out-of-state - then there wouldn't be many marching bands at competitions or parades would there? Present that logical argument. Just trying to save them money and ease their fears.

The Finnish dude plays blues and folk and was out 3am with his G-String, that's a lot different. :)

NotoriousMOK
06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this --

MOM: Guess what, our dear boy Nik has been invited to go with the church on a mission trip to Queens in New York -- he and his uke will be joining the praise team on this trip -- isn't that wonderful?

DAD: Woah now, I'm just as proud and excited as you are, but we must keep in mind that Queens has a reputation for being a dangerous place. Protecting every member of our family is a top priority, and I don't want them placed in harms way.

MOM: I see your point, not everything can be replaced -- how do you think we should proceed?

<moments pass>

DAD: Hmmm... send the boy, but the uke stays.

Nik, I think you my want to step up the chores a bit buddy, it seems you may be losing favor at home :o

hahah j/k -- either way, have a great trip!

NotoriousMOK
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
In one of the safest cities in the world, a guy from the local uke club (FUN) got physically harassed with his G-string in the other hand. The drunk didn't notice the uke, and was too drunk to fight really, but it could have ended up that there's a Helsinki binge-drinker out there with a hell of a nice uke.

The ukester now takes along his Kala jazz tenor instead. A bit above the budget but super-cool.

I don't think, being with a church group, in broad daylight, you'd need to worry about your uke. NYC isn't the Home of Satan (tm), you'll be fine. Have your parents really thought about it, or are they just blindly scared? But then again, if they're so worked up that they'll buy you a new uke, who are you to turn them down? :D

You're going with a group, so that's a lot like if you were in a marching band. Now marching bands go to big cities for huge parades all the time. And I can't name a single instrument, not even a marching "beater", that is as cheap as 300 bucks. So, if none of those parents allowed their kids to take their instruments out-of-state - then there wouldn't be many marching bands at competitions or parades would there? Present that logical argument. Just trying to save them money and ease their fears.

The Finnish dude plays blues and folk and was out 3am with his G-String, that's a lot different. :)

. . . if i had a nickel for every time I've had trouble with a G-string at 3am . . . . :rolleyes:

deach
06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
. . . if i had a nickel for every time I've had trouble with a G-string at 3am . . . . :rolleyes:

lol !

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought the words G-string and 3am would pass unnoticed and be completely normal in a uke forum. Boy was I wrong. ;)

redsedge
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
If your G string is part of an Aquila set and you're strumming them on a Makala like Deach says, then you've got a decent sounding uke that you can then take anywhere without worrying about it. Even at 3 am.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this --

MOM: Guess what, our dear boy Nik has been invited to go with the church on a mission trip to Queens in New York -- he and his uke will be joining the praise team on this trip -- isn't that wonderful?

DAD: Woah now, I'm just as proud and excited as you are, but we must keep in mind that Queens has a reputation for being a dangerous place. Protecting every member of our family is a top priority, and I don't want them placed in harms way.

MOM: I see your point, not everything can be replaced -- how do you think we should proceed?

<moments pass>

DAD: Hmmm... send the boy, but the uke stays.

Nik, I think you my want to step up the chores a bit buddy, it seems you may be losing favor at home :o

hahah j/k -- either way, have a great trip!

umm....both of my parents are coming too. and we are working in a soup kitchen feeding over 300 people each night. Tell me you wouldnt snatch a 300 dollar instrument and sell it, if you were homeless.

lol.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
oh and btw we dont really have the money to buy another 300 dollar uke.

and we are staying in a church in the boonies.

with other homeless people.

I think the "logical" thing to do is not to bring the expensive uke.

and if i get a 35 dollar uke that sounds nice and is good enough to play....its still 35.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
im not like trying to fight back its just I have a lot of family problems at home and just joking around about me not being important in the eyes of my parents kind of bothers me, cuz there might be some fact to that.

thats all.

Oh and they said they arent going to let me buy the cheap uke anymore so...whatever.

russ_buss
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
umm....both of my parents are coming too. and we are working in a soup kitchen feeding over 300 people each night. Tell me you wouldnt snatch a 300 dollar instrument and sell it, if you were homeless.

lol.

hi nikolo. just curious. aren't other members of your church group bringing instruments? i'm sure the church has an office where you can store your equipment after your performance and before the soup kitchen duties. i'm sure you're not the only person in your group to carry instruments, valuables, purses, etc.

it just seems like a lot of trouble to buy an extra instrument just for this one purpose. however, if this is just a ploy to justify your UAS, then please carry on.:)

EDIT: one more thing. the homeless people don't know it's a $300 ukulele unless they frequent this forum or you leave the price tag on.:)

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
If your G string is part of an Aquila set and you're strumming them on a Makala like Deach says, then you've got a decent sounding uke that you can then take anywhere without worrying about it. Even at 3 am.

thanks dude that posthelps alot.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
hi nikolo. just curious. aren't other members of your church group bringing instruments? i'm sure the church has an office where you can store your equipment after your performance and before the soup kitchen duties. i'm sure you're not the only person in your group to carry instruments, valuables, purses, etc.

it just seems like a lot of trouble to buy an extra instrument just for this one purpose. however, if this is just a ploy to justify your UAS, then please carry on.:)

EDIT: one more thing. the homeless people don't know it's a $300 ukulele unless they frequent this forum or you leave the price tag on.:)

dude its not a ploy nor is it a big deal. It's just parents worrying.

thats all.

jeez

sure it may be a stupid thing to be worrying about but I cant control my parents, can I?

seeso
06-23-2008, 01:10 PM

This is excellent advice.

Nikolo, you should have your parents call the church where you'll be staying and ask them if there's anywhere you can store your uke.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
will do seeso thanks, and thank you for that bit of info russ_buss.

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Whoa dude, calm down, if you want to get a new uke, then you can get a new uke! :)

It's just that, if this is the only reason, we're trying to save you and your parents some money.

I'd like to point out that:

- How would a homeless person know the going street price of a ukulele, when most people don't know what one is?

- The underground ukulele market probably isn't huge. ;)

- Isn't your group bringing clothes, purses and travel bags with money and other essentials in them? Those are as valuable, if not more, than your uke. Do you mean to say there will be NO place to store this essential stuff?

- 300 USD is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm in no way making light of that. However, are your parents aware that as musical instruments go, that's not terribly expensive? It doesn't have a huge "steal me" factor.

- Your ipod/NintendoDS/Sony PSP is more at risk than the ukulele.

It's nothing against your family or parents, try not to be so defensive. We're just pointing out some stuff that's really really obvious.

If none of that matters, and you want your new uke, then dude, get your new uke. :)

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
No dude its fine i love all you guys lol. Its just I didnt really like the crack about my standing in the family thats all. I know it was a joke but still.

And I talked to my mom and she said I could bring it. But. The place that we are going might not let us bring them anyway, cuz they told us not to bring any valuables, no exceptions. only the adults are allowed cell phones lol. but we are going to lock my uke below a seat in the one of the vans.

I <3 stow and go rofl.

EDIT: we arent allowed to bring any electronics either.(once again except for the adults) because of the crime rate at that part of Queens and just because the program we have their wants us to bond without cellphones and whatever.

btw my minister is notorious for horrible planning, so now im wondering....is it a good idea to go to this place at all if we cant even have cell phones lol.

seeso
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Man, I would fear for the uke's glue in the van. It gets really hot in a car in the summertime. Your uke's glue might melt. Just saying...

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't feel safe without a cell phone. But I don't think NotoriousMOK meant anything near what you took the joke to mean.

Is anyone bringing a change of clothes? I mean there has to be some place to store that kind of stuff. Maybe you're right, maybe we're pointing out stuff that should be obvious, but somehow hasn't been planned for. :confused: Yeah, my concern is for the glue holding the bridge on as well. The plan can't be to leave travel essentials on the bus/van. Those are dead easy to break into. Since you said your uke is hidden, I'm not thinking of that, I'm thinking of all the other stuff sitting under seats that will just scream "steal me! we're from out of town!" - I mean if crime really is THAT bad.

And if anyone steals your uke, you can blame us, it's just that I highly doubt it. I'd be more worried about it getting banged up. Usually I played the kind of stuff people don't just pick up without asking you. But with stuff like guitars, keyboards, drums, ukes especially, people just feel free to pick it up and bang it on the street or something. ;)

At the FUN, members bring their precious multi-thousand dollar luthier-built babies, and nothing untoward happens, even in a pub at 2am.

I'm glad we saved your parents some money though. Tell mom and dad that folks on "the internets" who are used to traveling around with instruments said that it should be ok. :)

RON<>VA
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Nikolo, beyond the issue of bringing your uke to N.Y., all good wishes to you on your mission trip. Remember the people you will be serving for a time are special and will appreciate your expression of love.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
oh shit**** i didnt think about that.

o well ill just go with the idea that russ-buss had. put it in an office under a desk or something. ill work it out.

thank you so much for that though. lol.

i wouldve been pissed if my uke melted.

i bow to zyou:nana::bowdown::nana:

deach
06-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Nikolo, beyond the issue of bringing your uke to N.Y., all good wishes to you on your mission trip. Remember the people you will be serving for a time are special and will appreciate your expression of love.

I've worked in several soup kitchens. It quite an eye opening experience. You walk out with a different view and a different appreciation for what you have.

Good luck and major props for doing this.

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't feel safe without a cell phone. But I don't think NotoriousMOK meant anything near what you took the joke to mean.

Yea I know but still it just makes me kinda upset lol.

yeah we will have a place to store our luggage and i will find an office somewhere and put a lock on it myself if i have too. lol thanks once again guys.

russ_buss
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM

well said Ron. good luck nikolo!!! you're doing a good thing.

Plainsong
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
It's no bigger than a huge bookbag stuffed with clothes (I'm thinking of some of the huge Ogio bags), no one will notice, but that's a better plan than in the van. :)

It'll be alright, and everything will sound better and you can help some people out and play some good music. :)

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Yea man that really is the greatest part about it i think.

last year I went with my church to New Orleans to help rebuild there, and man it was the most wonderful experience I have ever had the pleasure to have.

I would love to talk more about these things with you guys so please pm me your email or your phone number cuz I could talk for hours about it!

ill say a little bit here.

New Orleans is not ok. People talk about it like its over but it is so so bad down there. ive seen things their that still make me cry.

But going down there. to work on peoples houses. to rebuild their lives, was the greatest experience ever. we ran the church service at a local presby church down there.(bye the way the church had over 500 members before the hurricane. After the hurricane it had 50) and the look on the peoples faces was the....I cant describe the feeling.

i would actually like to help with the Ukes4kids and help do something down in new orleans. That city is KNOWN for their music. If we could bring that back that would be the most amazing thing.

So please guys spread the word to your churches. They need help in New Orleans. We here at UU probubly couldnt organize a mission crew to go help build, but if we could have Ukes4Kids help bring back music down there...all im saying is the possibilities are endless.

anyone from Ukes4kids PM me we can work something out.

and again if anyone would like to talk to me more about this...its one pm away.

always yours,

nikolo

UKISOCIETY
06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
oh shit**** i didnt think about that.

o well ill just go with the idea that russ-buss had. put it in an office under a desk or something. ill work it out.

thank you so much for that though. lol.

i wouldve been pissed if my uke melted.

i bow to zyou:nana::bowdown::nana:

What church do you go to? Do they read this forum?

nikolo727
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I go to New Wilmington Presbyterian Church.

In about one week we are going to Queens, New York and we are working in a day care center, a homeless shelter, and in a soup kitchen.

No my church doesnt go onto this site but....I will talk to them this week about making a praise team username here. We have about 4 guitar players, drum players, konga players, we have one pianist, and me on the ukulele.

I think my church will be OH so interested in helping ukes for kids. We are going back to New Orleans in a couple of Years, but If I get to talk to my minister I am sure Ukes4Kids and NWPC could partner up and maybe do something about New Orleans.

I am so sure that my church will be interested in partnering up with you guys. SO positive.

PM me for more ideas UKISOCIETY. I hope you seriously consider this. This can and will change the world. honestly!:)

deach
07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Are you back yet? How was New York?

nikolo727
07-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Well ladies and germs.....im back.

and it was spectacular.

i am uploading pictures to my myspace which you can reach here:

www.myspace.com/nick_aka_mario

Everyone had an awesome time and im so pumped for you guys to ask some questions so hit me up on myspace or just ask on this thread and ill be happy to answer as well as i can.

yours always,
nik

deach
07-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Did you shave your head?

Did you get a new uke or take your the one you had?

What was the coolest thing you saw/experienced?

nikolo727
07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you shave your head?

Did you get a new uke or take your the one you had?

What was the coolest thing you saw/experienced?

I did happen to (pretty much) shave my head. lol.

i brought my uke with me (i think the humidity affected it. :(. but my baby is home now so she will be ok)

the coolest thing i experienced was feeding a hungry child and letting him play my ukulele. he was very upset that his mom wasnt at the day care that we worked at, and no one could cheer him up. then i let him play my uke a bit and he cheered right up! then i asked him if he wanted anything to eat and he started inhaling goldfish.(still brings some tears). but the greatest part about it was he made sure that he shared all of his goldfish with all of the other kids, even though he was almost a starving kid.

heres a pic. sorry if its huge. lol.

http://i26.tinypic.com/v2wc94.jpg

deach
07-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Great story! Great picture!!!! Thanks for sharing.

RON<>VA
07-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Nikolo, give us a few more details about your trip.

Where did you stay?
How many from your church went?
New insights or lessons learned?

nikolo727
07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Nikolo, give us a few more details about your trip.

Where did you stay?
How many from your church went?
New insights or lessons learned?

I know dude im trying lol. Im so tired that i just dont know where to begin.

ok ill start off here.

The entire shyg(senior high youth group) of NWPC(church) went to Queens, New York for a mission trip. Our goal was to work in a couple soup kitchens, run some day cares, help the elderly, work in local salvation armies, and just help out Queens wherever we could. about 50 of us went and we had a blast.

It took us about 8 hours to get to this church in downtown queens but we eventually made it. We relaxed and just got ready for the week ahead of us.

After that day of sleep the next 5 days went in a blur. The city is so fast paced that its almost impossible to remember everything that went on. But I do know that we helped out these people alot. and i mean a lot. A soup kitchen I worked in served about 50 people that night, then in another soup kitchen we served about 100-150. We ran day care centers to spread the word about christianity to kids who barely get to go to church. We went and talked to some elderly people in a mentally handicapped retirement home.(the people that were able to talk as well as wanting to talk were awesome.)We picked up trash on the street, and just did everything that we could do to help these peoples lives.

after our 4-5 day work week we got to chilax and take a good sleep. Then we packed up and spent the day in Manhattan!(china town is so cooolll!) after that we went to another church to sleep and then headed home. one week after we began our adventure.

I will do a lot more talking about this, but I will say one thing. Dont ever, ever, ever, forget that you can make a difference in this world with a small act of random kindness. Even something small can change the world, in a heartbeat.period.Im sitting here at my computer in tears telling you guys that ive been changed over this trip. Ive met people who have gone through more in their 8 years of living than I will in my entire life. and to be able to help them just get through one more day without starving, or being unhappy just brings the greatest joy to my heart. You CAN change the world. You just have to be willing to dive deep.

deach
07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Awesome Nikolo!

RON<>VA
07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
That's a great report. And it is clear that the trip touched you deeply. Good for you!

nikolo727
07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
thanks guys!

:)

Plainsong
07-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Can I ask what may be a controversial question? It's the kind of thing that always pops into my mind with faith-based volunteerism. I'm coming from the point-of-view of someone who thinks it's wonderful to help and volunteer and give of yourself to do for others what you'd hope someone would do for you if you were in need of help. I think it's one of the most admirable traits of humanity. I'm just not a Christian or any other religion. I was raised in a Christian faith. My Grandfather is a priest in fact, so I understand it very well. It's just not for me.

I have no problem with you being religious, or any problem with you at all. :D I want to get that part straight because I don't.

A child probably wouldn't feel comfortable telling an authority figure that they'd rather not talk about religion. Although it is NYC, so maybe not every kid will be shy voicing their opinions. What do you in those situations?

And the same question when working with adults.

There's no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious to know how far missionary work extends. I'm not going to come back and say "I don't agree!" and get all worked up. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I'm know how my grandfather does it, but he's a retired navy veteran of two foreign wars, and has raised 4 daughters. He's got world experience that probably serves him better than anything he learned at Seminary. :)

I'm just curious as to how it works.

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Can I ask what may be a controversial question? It's the kind of thing that always pops into my mind with faith-based volunteerism. I'm coming from the point-of-view of someone who thinks it's wonderful to help and volunteer and give of yourself to do for others what you'd hope someone would do for you if you were in need of help. I think it's one of the most admirable traits of humanity. I'm just not a Christian or any other religion. I was raised in a Christian faith. My Grandfather is a priest in fact, so I understand it very well. It's just not for me.

I have no problem with you being religious, or any problem with you at all. :D I want to get that part straight because I don't.

A child probably wouldn't feel comfortable telling an authority figure that they'd rather not talk about religion. Although it is NYC, so maybe not every kid will be shy voicing their opinions. What do you in those situations?

And the same question when working with adults.

There's no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious to know how far missionary work extends. I'm not going to come back and say "I don't agree!" and get all worked up. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I'm know how my grandfather does it, but he's a retired navy veteran of two foreign wars, and has raised 4 daughters. He's got world experience that probably serves him better than anything he learned at Seminary. :)

I'm just curious as to how it works.

No dude your fine. thats a great question actually.

We did have one child that just completely opposed the christian religion. he was pretty blunt about just denying everything that we were saying. unfortunately he was directing his denial to one of the college persons that was running this camp that my church went to.(this was the first time that my church had gone to work for a group that was already set up. we usually just go find a church and help out where we can with our own rules. we didnt really like how they set it up this year but o well. next year we are going to go back to working by our own rules.) This college person didnt know what she was talking about. at all. so she basically made the kid deny christians even more lol.

when i deal with kids that dont believe, i just talk them through it. plain and simple. I talk to them like i would talk to someone about discussing a book. nice and easy but getting my point across. I let them tell me everything they want to about my religion, then i counter that with some fact and some faith, very easily, so they wont get the idea that im hostile to them. I tell them about faith and that its a very special thing to have.

Same thing goes for adults but it can get kinda tricky because they know more about what they are talking about and it can get kind of diffucult.

the best way to be able to talk to someone about this is to study up on what your talking about: read the bible, pray, talk to other christians about christianity itself, and most importantly look at their side of the argument from their point of view.

EDIT: All of the pictures are up on my myspace right now. There were more but these were the pictures that I liked the best.

Plainsong
07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
That's a great answer. In fact, I don't think my grandfather's approach is any different than that. The best conversations are the ones where we walk away having learned something, and maybe it gives someone the change in direction they're looking for, or perhaps it's only an interesting discussion. Either way, no harm, no foul. :)

But to give someone help they need with truly no strings attached, that is a great thing.