KoAloha Crown Bridge

RuthMarie

Reaction score
Have they discontinued it for good? I'm on the lookout for a KoAloha Super Concert but I want the crown bridge. Is it gone forever?

I don't have an answer for your question, but I'm in the same boat. I want a super concert or tenor but really prefer the crown bridge. I hope they are not discontinued, if they are I may have to look at other makers.

Last edited:
I believe they will do a custom for you, but from what I heard the labor is much greater on the crown bridge and has been discontinued.
I am so glad I already have my super concert.

This makes me sad......The core/foundation of a KoAloha is its unique and beautiful sound. Would someone really look for another builder just because of bridge shape??

I agree. Cosmetics are great but isn't sound and playablility for a price what is really important??

You know, the crown bridge isn't all that it's cracked up to be. First off, the crown bridge isn't as stable as the new bridge. I've read of stories where the crown bridge has ripped off. Of course, KoAloha will replace this for you should that happen. Also, your strings begin to cut in to the bridge if secured via the lace method. My friend has one and I just restrung it. I noticed that his G string was cutting in to the wood. I emailed Brian and asked if you could use the tie method and he said you could, but he preferred the lace method because you didn't have to worry about tying the knot large enough.

In either case neither bridge types change the sound. It's uniqueness is not solely about cosmetics or the bridge. It's about the tone! Oh and possibly the headstock because I don't think it'd be KoAloha with any other design. :)

I was told that they are not making the crown bridge anymore. Even if asked. I am lucky to have a crown bridge sceptre. I still want a crown bridge tenor and I will be patient for it b/c I will not overpay for it.

Have they discontinued it for good? I'm on the lookout for a KoAloha Super Concert but I want the crown bridge. Is it gone forever?

I just picked up a super concert with the crown bridge but I paid as much as a tenor with crown bridge. It just seems like the SC is harder to find. I've seen a few of the tenors for sale but this was the first SC that I found with the crown bridge.

Regardless of the bridge, the KoAloha sound rocks. I'm more into the collecting part of it and have crown bridges on my SC, tenor, Sceptre and the spiked Pineapple Sunday bridge.

I just picked up a super concert with the crown bridge but I paid as much as a tenor with crown bridge. It just seems like the SC is harder to find. I've seen a few of the tenors for sale but this was the first SC that I found with the crown bridge.

Regardless of the bridge, the KoAloha sound rocks. I'm more into the collecting part of it and have crown bridges on my SC, tenor, Sceptre and the spiked Pineapple Sunday bridge.

I'm with Ronnie on this one. While there may not be any difference in sound between the crown and bowtie bridges, aestetics and availablity are factors in the demand for KoAloha ukes with the crown bridge. I know that I can easily get back what I paid for my tenor and sceptre with the crown bridge, probably much more. But I'm not selling, they sound way too good!:)

This makes me sad......The core/foundation of a KoAloha is its unique and beautiful sound. Would someone really look for another builder just because of bridge shape??

No, I wouldn't look for another builder, I will eventually possibly get a KoAloha tenor, but I want it to be the right one for me. Call me superficial (I admit I am) but I won't buy a KoAloha tenor without a crown bridge. Like haolejohn, I might be waiting for a long time, but if I pay that much money for something, I want it to be perfect. It has no bearing on the sound at all, but I really dislike the appearance of the bowtie and I'm just superficial enough to keep holding out until I find the right KoAloha tenor. Call me crazy, but that is my :2cents: :)

I am in agreement with wickedwahine and haolejohn....love that crown bridge!!! I hope KoAloha comes out with something at least close to the crown bridge!

No, I wouldn't look for another builder, I will eventually possibly get a KoAloha tenor, but I want it to be the right one for me. Call me superficial (I admit I am) but I won't buy a KoAloha tenor without a crown bridge. Like haolejohn, I might be waiting for a long time, but if I pay that much money for something, I want it to be perfect. It has no bearing on the sound at all, but I really dislike the appearance of the bowtie and I'm just superficial enough to keep holding out until I find the right KoAloha tenor. Call me crazy, but that is my :2cents: :)

I agree with you on this one. You are not superficial, while sound is a very important factor, I believe looks are too.
When you are buying a ukuele you need to be happy with looks. Inlays and finishes may not add to the sound, but they contribute heavily to our overall satisfaction.

Sadly, I don't own a Koaloha uke......yet! But I really like the crown bridge much better than the bowtie bridge. I hope when I have enough money saved up, Koaloha ukes will bring back the crown bridge or at the very least make it an option.

Top Bottom