An apology...

Ingrate

Reaction score
Last month I posted the following on the "Diminishing returns" thread:

I say, don't distract yourself. Just play that fine-looking Ohana more. I'm off to Kauai in 2 weeks, and will go to Larry's. I'll play some of these K-ukes. I've got the cash to buy them, but have no expectations of doing so. I really like my current inexpensive 'uke, and don't expect any magic from the expensive ones. I'll post when I return and apologize if I'm wrong.

I apologize!

I played every soprano Kamaka & KoAloha at Larry's music in Kapa'a and Koloa. (Thank you, Sam & Joe! I must've taken up 3 hours of your time.) When I played this one, I was smitten, and I bought it. Worth the money? Beats me, but I've never played a 'uke that sounds this good.

jeff
View attachment 16660

A word of caution: Had this one not been there, I'd have come home w/my money. Every 'uke I played sounded different. One Kamaka pineapple would not "play in tune" at all.

You are forgiven. You don't know until you try them. Really.

Aloha Jeff,
All is forgiven...everyone believes in their thoughts at the time, without knowledge or experience at the time...Life in general is a learning process....Apologizing is part of it...
I'm happy that you've taken the time in choosing your ukulele, as it could have changed your outcome and feelings.... Glad everything worked out well for you, and you're a
happy Uker...Good move on both counts.... MM Stan...

I played every soprano Kamaka & KoAloha at Larry's music in Kapa'a and Koloa. (Thank you, Sam & Joe! I must've taken up 3 hours of your time.) When I played this one, I was smitten, and I bought it. Worth the money? Beats me, but I've never played a 'uke that sounds this good.

I dunno...
Every uke player should play everything that they can get their hands on any time they can, and there's no better place to do it than this:

P1030171.jpg

Glad you found one you couldn't live without...

Congrats! I got the same uke (but with a longneck) a couple of weeks ago and love it. Play it in good health!

Hello, my name is Jeff and I have UAS.

Great get. The thing is, by trying so many ukes you were able to pick one that you KNOW sounds great to you. IMHO, its almost impossible to go wrong with a KoAloha. They are very consistent.

what were the kamaka's like? I really have a hankering for an h2 or preferebly the bell shaped concert.

I only played sopranos. There was one Kamaka that would not "play in tune" for me. They were all beautiful instruments. My Kamoa pineapple sounds so similar that I couldn't justify the expense. You have to play them and judge for yourself.

I dunno...
Every uke player should play everything that they can get their hands on any time they can, and there's no better place to do it than this:

P1030171.jpg

Glad you found one you couldn't live without...

This is where I got my new 'uke, and I couldn't agree with you more. Joe (seen here) and his son Sam (in Kapa'a) are helpful and patient. They just hand you these magnificent instruments to play. No worries. Remarkable!

Thanks for your comment.

Apology accepted!!! Beautiful uke.....congraulations!!! Any chance for sound clip???

I only played sopranos. There was one Kamaka that would not "play in tune" for me. They were all beautiful instruments. My Kamoa pineapple sounds so similar that I couldn't justify the expense. You have to play them and judge for yourself.

What kind of strings were on the Kamakas? I did not like the stock strings on the Kamakas I played at Acoustic Vibes.
And the one that wouldn't play in tune? Was it just you, or was something off with the uke?

What kind of strings were on the Kamakas? I did not like the stock strings on the Kamakas I played at Acoustic Vibes.
And the one that wouldn't play in tune? Was it just you, or was something off with the uke?

They said the Kamakas had Kamaka strings.

I don't know just what it means when a 'uke won't "play in tune". You tune it carefully, then start playing and it's off. I suppose it's the action most often. I'd seriously doubt that these instruments have bridge/fret position issues, but it's possible. I've heard of Martins with the same issue. I won't deny that it could've been me since I'm a noob, but it only occured w/the one Kamaka pineapple. I've read here on the forum that strings can be "bad", as well. Maybe the pros here can elucidate for us...?

Play it before you buy it!

They said the Kamakas had Kamaka strings.

I don't know just what it means when a 'uke won't "play in tune". You tune it carefully, then start playing and it's off. I suppose it's the action most often. I'd seriously doubt that these instruments have bridge/fret position issues, but it's possible. I've heard of Martins with the same issue. I won't deny that it could've been me since I'm a noob, but it only occured w/the one Kamaka pineapple. I've read here on the forum that strings can be "bad", as well. Maybe the pros here can elucidate for us...?

Play it before you buy it!

It could be the strings. I've had ukes that arrived with intonation issues and after a string change it was fine.

Top Bottom