monetizing your ukulele

janeray1940

Reaction score
Who here has managed to make their ukulele habit somehow pay for itself? And, how?

I recall not too long ago someone here got hired for a job in part due to their ukulele skills - working in the kid's department of a library IIRC. Just got to wondering what other stories may be out there.

In general I try not to value maximize my hobbies. Makes 'em seem too much like work.

In general, I'm with you all the way on this! Any time my hobbies have crossed over into paying territory, they've become un-fun really, really quickly.

But since I can't imagine the uke ever *not* being fun - well, it got me to wondering :)

I have used postmodern economic theory to very successfully monetize my ukulele habiit. Here is how it works. Every day I report to work at my usual place of work, and every pay period money appears in my bank account. Now that I play and collect ukuleles though, I use some of that mometization to invest in ukuleles instead of more mundane necessities like groceries and clothing. It works great.

... Every day I report to work at my usual place of work, and every pay period money appears in my bank account. Now that I play and collect ukuleles though, I use some of that mometization to invest in ukuleles instead of more mundane necessities like groceries and clothing...

I like how you think!

I pimps out my ukeses!!! Heeehehehehe! It payses for itselfs...reeeally it does! That's my story and I'm stickin to it...now if I can do a "wallstreet" on the numbers...hmmmm!?

i've always planned to get me and a few friends together to go busking, i know we wouldn't get much but it would be a fun day, i have also considered releasing some songs on itunes. i've only been playing a month so decided against these as it wouldn't go well.

Every day I report to work at my usual place of work, and every pay period money appears in my bank account. Now that I play and collect ukuleles though, I use some of that mometization to invest in ukuleles instead of more mundane necessities like groceries and clothing. It works great.

Hey, this sounds rather familiar. Although sometimes I think that money should appear in my Paypal account rather than my bank account, because eventually I end up Paypal-ing someone in exchange for their uke...

Geez! A community of UAS sufferers, all of whom refuse treatment. Hanging around here makes me feel almost normal!

Geez! A community of UAS sufferers, all of whom refuse treatment. Hanging around here makes me feel almost normal!

Refuse treatment?!? NEVER. The 12-step treatment program is going well. I just slowed it down by selling one of my current ukes so I get to pick up two more to make up for it!

My friend and I have busked a couple of time, me on Uke him on guitar, but more for the thrill of playing in front of people than for really making a lot of money.

Aloha JaneRay1940,
I guess it's personal preference, while alot may have crossed that bridge...I myself get fullfillment when playing relaxed and enjoying myself..
No pressure and can be relaxed and be creative at the same time at my leisure with no distractions... MM Stan..

Last edited:
I'm with Stan. I play my ukes sitting at my desk, couch and even in bed. I play mostly for myself and that's enough fulfillment for me.

Not monetizing but pay it forward by giving away and lending out ukes - eases the guilt about having so many ukes, then gives me an excuse to buy another one. If paid to play my uke - my stomach would knot up and my hands would shake right off the fretboard.

Mine is a different set of cicumstances. I publish Ukulele Player Magazine. With that in mind, I get my hands on a lot of ukuleles. The bulk of which are passed along to individuals that give exposure to the makers instruments. There are some that are retained, so to speak, for taking to club meetings and events that give more exposure for the manufacturers ukuleles. The artists and music instructors that have been given ukuleles are either touring, recording, or teaching a large number of students and everybody wins.

I am also now doing reviews and comparison videos for YouTube. That gives more exposure for the ukulele manufacturers.

As for playing for myself or monetizing my "music" (not just uke), I am a member of ASCAP and have been for years. I have several albums of music I wrote going back to the late 1970s and early 1980s, then a gap... then again in the early 1990s, and 2001 through about 2007, so my songs circulate out there in various places.

My accountant stays busy.

Because of the uke I get some sweet chances to play all over the world. I also teach part-time (~10 hours per week) and sometimes companies will send me instruments to make videos with them. I don't know I could have such awesome opportunities with any other instrument.

I've been making it a point to not use any of my regular paycheck to buy ukes, I've bought them all with proceeds from my online business (selling sheet music and my clarinet ligature) plus some Ebay closet-cleaning. It's been great, a way to try ukes without breaking the bank.

So mine is other music efforts going into ukuleles, not the ukes making money themselves.

Not monetizing but pay it forward by giving away and lending out ukes - eases the guilt about having so many ukes, then gives me an excuse to buy another one. If paid to play my uke - my stomach would knot up and my hands would shake right off the fretboard.

That sounds like me. I've given away about 8 of the bloody things.

Mine has paid for itself many times over in smiles, both mine and people listening. Not sure what monitary value a smile has, but for me it's priceless.. ;)

Top Bottom