homemade tuning pegs?

artanis

Reaction score
Does anyone make there own tuning pegs? I've been building soprano ukes for fun and having a hard time justifying the price for the tuning pegs, as my ukes aren't of the highest quality.

any ideas for this?

I don't make pegs....But I like Timbuck's drillpress idea.
Cut a piece of scrap at 5deg and glue sand paper to it. Then chuck the dowel in the drillpress and use the taperred sanding block to sand in the taper. I guess you could even use a square block and tilt the drillpress table.
The button could be a contrasting wood too....match your binding scheme.
Hmmm....maybe my next project will have pegs

I use nothing but wooden pegs, but I buy them online for around a dollar each. I ordrr them from metmusic.com together with saddle blanks of bone. Of course shipping and taxes cost some but it's still cheaper for me than to buy them here. I use the smallest size, 1/4.

But the reamer... that is EXPENSIVE.

Sven

I use nothing but wooden pegs, but I buy them online for around a dollar each. I ordrr them from metmusic.com together with saddle blanks of bone. Of course shipping and taxes cost some but it's still cheaper for me than to buy them here. I use the smallest size, 1/4.

But the reamer... that is EXPENSIVE.

Sven

Reamer?!?

I hardly know her....

I have way more time than money.

My problem is that I have never actually seen the pegs (or a ukulele that wasn't made by myself ha), just the machine heads. It actually seems a lot easier than I had first thought. A drill press is one of the few tools I have...will try it out.

thanks everyone

Top Bottom