Aldrine"s live lesson yesterday "stopped" at about 42mn into it??

Howie1947

Reaction score
Just as he was saying something about "Hawaiian Airlines" getting strict on Ukes??? Anyone know what followed?? Howie

Last edited:
I wanted to say that Hawaiian airlines got strict with their carryon policy. You know that little measuring device that they have "if it doesn't fit, it has to be checked in" and since the ukulele case is in a weird shape that is a little too long, they get a little strict and ask you to check it in.

I guess it just depends on who's behind the counter but they've been screening by the check in and right before you board the plane. Soprano's might not be a problem but tenor cases are definitely too long.

Here's the dimensions that are listed on their website:

Hawaiian Airlines operates the B767 aircraft between Hawaii and the mainland/South Pacific and B717 aircraft for interisland travel. Your carry on baggage should be no more than 45 linear inches, or 9"x14"x22" (H+W+L), and weight no more than 25 pounds.

I have a hard case for a Kamaka tenor and the linear inches equals 45 linear inches which just makes it. United had given me a hard time until it was measured, they too said it was an odd shape and I really should check it in. I carried it on the plane after it was determined to be within the guidlines!

this makes me a little nervous because i have a flight to visit back home to o'ahu coming up and i plan on picking up a koaloha tenor but i really wouldnt want to check it in.

Thanks for the reply Aldrine. It was great st see you guys in San Diego.................Going over to Honolulu next month, so guess I better check the measurements of my uke. And what happens if you get to the boarding area, and they suddenly decide to not let you take it aboard?? Do they take it and send it below with the routine luggage?? Scary..............Howie My tenor case measures 31" long 4.5" High and I think about 10.5" wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom