I dunno, braddah! That don't look like no ukulele to me ...

GVlog

Reaction score
Get a load of this big pineapple ukulele that I got!

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

Yes. I know it's an 8-course Renaissance lute. I've decided to study more early music and someone from the lute community decided to help me out.

Just wait. One of these days I hope to get a 13-course Baroque lute. ;)

Now that you mention it I have never really known what a lute looked like. This one is a beaut

Aloha GVlog,
That's a great looking Lute, Will we get a video of your playing it??? That would be nice....Have fun and Enjoy!!
Keep Strumming them Strings" MM Stan..

Mahalo nui loa, all!

I'll be having an introductory lesson this weekend. Contrary to popular perception, the right-hand techniques used on a lute are markedly different from those used on the guitar (or the ukulele for that matter). This will require a lot of changes.
:p

I already know two rather simple pieces but I need to ensure that I'm creating the right tone from this lute before I do a public performance. I don't want to rile any early music enthusiasts who might also see the video.
;)

But in the meantime, you can enjoy this performance by Ronn McFarlane on his 10-course lute. (Just don't expect me to be even 1/100th as good as him though)

Did the lute come with a pair of pantaloons or do you have to buy those separately??

Here's something to give you pause about playing the lute.

A set of custom strings (not the cheap LaBella stuff) runs $70. And that's still for synthetic trebles and wounds ... not gut. :eek:

shoot I thought someone had made a watermelon uke. too many strings for me. Good luck, that thing makes some pretty music.
DAP

Wow! What a neat sound and fascinating fingering!

OK, 'nuf said.

I'm glad I'm a uke player!

Keep uke'in',

Here's something to give you pause about playing the lute.

A set of custom strings (not the cheap LaBella stuff) runs $70. And that's still for synthetic trebles and wounds ... not gut. :eek:

Gee, I can't imagine changing the strings or breaking them in....whew...14 stringer...are the strings tuned in unison????MM Stan..

shoot I thought someone had made a watermelon uke.
LOL!

Hey! Whoa ... that's actually a good idea. Somebody call the Okamis over at KoAloha! I think we found something to complement the Pineapple Sunday!

Aloha Vlog,
That's some awesome fingering....who said you cannot finger pick a 6 or 8 stringer....thanks for sharing...MM Stan..

True dat. I'm finding that I can do it with or without nails. Maybe this will give folks with 6 'n 8 string ukes some ideas. :)

Gee, I can't imagine changing the strings or breaking them in....whew...14 stringer...are the strings tuned in unison????MM Stan..
Courses 8 through 6 are in octaves. Courses 5 through 2 are in unison. Course 1 is a single string.

Some folks have courses 8 through 4 in octaves.

Braddah! My wallet is hurting right now.

Last edited:
Maybe you can find a little one and call it a Uke-a-lute!

wow such a cool instrument and amazing performance in that video!
too many strings for me too right now.

@phil I have seen lute style' ukes on ebay...

my walkabout dulcimer has a sort of psuedo lute look to it with 3 courses of doubled strings with diatonic fret layout making it easy to play.

Wow I never heard anyone really ROCK a Lute before! That's incredible!

BTW If any of you are ever tempted to buy a lute I can recommend those made by a friend of mine , an American Luthier who has lived in England for years: See website here:

http://www.art-robb.co.uk/

Wow. The width of that fretboard is just intimidating. I mean, how on earth can one fret some strings without muting others?

I guess all you need now is leggings and a multi-point hat with bells on the tips.

Top Bottom