PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion of "Makai" brand ukes

DAPuke
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I see many of these in our local Craigslist, more than any other maker. Opinions please:)
Thank you,
DAP
(Don)

Doc_J
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Got one used for my sister, as a starter uke. Good volume, fair action and decent intonation.
Not sure how it compares to similar priced ukes.

kenikas
10-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a Makai MT-70 solid spruce top tenor that I got from MGM a while back, and I love it. The best $129 I ever spent! It has a great tone, fairly loud, and plays very nicely. The only problem is the fit & finish isn't perfect, the soundhole on mine has an area that looks like they just didn't finish sanding it so its not quite round. But for what I paid for it I'm very happy, especially with MGM's set up. According to the label the company is in S.F. California, so that may be why so many are in your local craigslist. I have heard they are made in the same Chinese factory that at least some of the Ohana and Mainland models are made.

RyanMFT
10-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey DAPuke,
I've had the chance to play a handful of them and I have been really impressed. The ones I tried had excellent finish, and the sound was very good.....especially for the price! If I was looking for a new, reasonably priced uke, I would really consider a Makai.

molokinirum
10-15-2010, 02:37 AM
I have not had the chance to play one.....but I have heard and read some pretty good things about it. Check with MGM.

Skitzic
10-15-2010, 04:30 AM
I have toyed around with a few. Having a proper set up is essential. I bought one with a set up and couldn't be happier. It will soon become an autograph uke.

UKISOCIETY
10-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Makai has a whole range of ukes, from cheapie starters to fine players. I've got a soprano solid cedar top LK-80W. Ohana has the same model with some cosmetic differences. Sounds awesome.

As with any uke, try to play it before you buy it.

LoMa
10-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Ohana's, Makai's, and Mainland's all appear to made in the same factory and have the same body designs. They just differ in the appointments and wood combos. They're great ukes for the money.

DAPuke
10-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks folks,
This is good info, I am hoping my wife will get the bug so i can buy her a good starter. I will definitly consider Makai.
DAP

Demoninja
10-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I have a Makai MT-70 that I got for very cheap. It's a decent starter uke at about 100 dollars for a solid spruce top.

danged
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
The entry level Makai's are a good value for the $$$. They actually sound and made better than the comparable Kala in the same price range. The company is based out of San Francisco, and are sold in many small music stores. The solid wood Makai's are very nice, and sound great, better than anything in their price range. Very nice ukulele's and are basically the same as Ohana's.

maikii
12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
How do Makais compare with Makalas?

danged
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
The Makai ukulele's are nicer than the entry level Makala's. Overall materials used are better and much richer sound quality. Unfortunately, the dealer sells ukulele's to their friend in the Bay Area, who in turns sells it cheap on craigslist.

Buyer beware. No warranty, could be seconds and refurbs

collin415
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
The Makai ukulele's are nicer than the entry level Makala's. Overall materials used are better and much richer sound quality. Unfortunately, the dealer sells ukulele's to their friend in the Bay Area, who in turns sells it cheap on craigslist.

Buyer beware. No warranty, could be seconds and refurbs

Mahalo nui loa for the valuable advice on "buyer beware" for the Makais on craigslist and on the differences between Makai and Makala. Looks like I should consider Makai (and Ohana?) in addition to Kala for my first uke.

peewee
12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
I picked up a Makai last summer in SF at http://www.exploringmusicusa.com on Clement St. An Mk-70 spruce top soprano with a "tweed" case for $100 all in. It needed adjustment to the nut and a set of aquilas, but now sounds great, with a loud punchy sound.
So you don't have to go to craigslist for a deal..

collin415
01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I picked up a Makai last summer in SF at http://www.exploringmusicusa.com on Clement St. An Mk-70 spruce top soprano with a "tweed" case for $100 all in. It needed adjustment to the nut and a set of aquilas, but now sounds great, with a loud punchy sound.
So you don't have to go to craigslist for a deal..

Thanks for the info, PeeWee!

So another Makai popped up on the local craigslist at a price I couldn't turn down (even with the buyer beware warning). I made contact with the seller and it turns out it was also Exploring Music. It was supposed to have been the display model, but it turns out they sold it, so I lucked out and got a brand new one. The deal also included a gig bag and tuner, and I'm now the proud owner of a Makai CK-55! :o