"Transcribing" tabs?

thegefish

Reaction score
I've been looking at transcribing some guitar tabs for some songs on the uke that I just couldn't find. I've been using some the chords and matching up the notes from an online guitar tab to those on a uke board. But I've had trouble matching up the octaves, is there any set way to know which,say, B to play to correspond with an open B on a guitar?

Not truly sure if I put this into the right section.

Open B on a guitar would be the same as the B below middle C (on the 4th fret of a low G string). A low G string would get you the open G on guitar. And... Open E on 'ukulele is the same as bottom open E on the guitar.

I wouldn't be too concerned with keeping the octave the same throughout. You'll probably find that you'll need to transpose some (or all) of the guitar tab up an octave or two in order to get it to "fit" onto the range of a uke.

Heck, in some cases, you'll may need to rearrange the guitar part entirely (leave out certain parts, rewrite harmonies, alter melodies, etc.)

JJ

I just play a few variations/octaves of the note/chord and pick the one that sounds most accurate. There's probabaly a more technical way to do it... but more technical = less fun in my book.

So far, I've been playing by ear. And with my limited amount of musical background, the idea of finding octaves and playing in a certain key is daunting. Googling musical theory for idiots has helped me some :)

Top Bottom