Experimental uke

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to performing with a uke, I'm curious to know if there are any experimental uke players or improvising uke players I can go listen to?

I always hate creating labels because most are relatively wide open in their interpretations. To me experimental is those who approach their instrument(s) differently than they are supposed to be played, similar to what James Hill was doing, John Cage did when placing styrofoam and eating utensils into his pianos, Keith Rowe did when placing his guitar on a table and placing stuff in the strings and playing a radio through the pickups. Performers who aren't necessarily concerned with melodies but concerned with the sounds made.

I've seen all these video's, while all are really pretty good, not exactly what I'm looking for. I wish I could play like any of the above videos but I just purchased my first uke and everyone, traditionalists, would be made and the stuff I put the uke through. I love the sound of this instrument, that is why I chose to get one. I've been writing some pieces using multiple electric guitars, cigar box guitars, and drums; it was missing something and I've now included the uke to fill that void. We'll see.

Top Bottom