Bosko & Honey interview in Rolling Coconuts magazine

UkeNinja

Reaction score
Original text in Japanese, translated from Rolling Coconuts Magazine #39, by UkeNinja for the Ukulele Underground community. If there are any problems with copyright, let me know and I will take the text off the internets.

"We want to build a bridge between the Japanese and the English-speaking ukulele scene"

At the moment, an Australian ukulele couple are realizing an enormous project, called "Ukulele Safari". The two are literally global ukulele pilgrims! Be sure to take note of this project, that has its base camp in Honey's country of birth, Japan.

"When we return to Japan, we may have slimmed down a lot" (laughter)

R.C. Please explain first what the Ukulele Safari is about.
BOSKO We record the meetings, interviews and concerts we have with ukulele players over the world on video. After editing on location, we upload the footage to YouTube and send it out for the world to see.
HONEY In principle, we stay at the house of ukulele players we meet when on location.

R.C. How did you decide where to go all over the world?
BOSKO When we announced on the internet that we were planning this project, ukulele people from all over the world called out to us.

R.C. That is fantastic.
HONEY We hope to visit as many people as possible, regardless of whether they are professional or amateur.
BOSKO Isn't is fun to introduce ukulele players from all over the world? It was us first of all who wanted to see those images. We also visit ukulele festivals in three countries.
HONEY The New York Ukulele Festival, the Hollesley Ukulele Jamboree in England, and the European Ukulele Festival in Germany.
BOSKO We also visit the Finnish Ukulele Association.

R.C. In what order do you tour around?
BOSKO At the end of March we fly from Japan to New York, and will be on the American mainland for about two and a half months. In the beginning of June we return to Japan to do some preparations, and then we fly to Finland to tour Europe. Around September we will go back to Japan again.
HONEY Then we will do a thorough tour of Japan as well.

R.C. It must cost a lot to travel around like that.
HONEY That is very true. We hope to tour around Japan a lot as well, the question is: will we have any money left? (laughter)
BOSKO We may be all skin and bones (laughter).

R.C. You have our support. Good luck and take care of your health.
HONEY By doing this trip, we hope to build a bridge between the English-speaking ukulele community and the Japanese ukulele scene. English-speaking people, including us, only know very little about the Japanese ukulele scene. It would be a lot of fun if people will go "Wow, I didn't know about those people!" because of the internet.

R.C. This might be nice to put on a DVD as well.
BOSKO That is indeed possible, if we can find a sponsor. But for now, we don't have anything to present yet (laugh). First, we would like to enjoy this trip.

Attachments

• RC1.jpg
    RC1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • RC2.jpg
    RC2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Wow! Thanks sooooo much for the translation, Ninja! Yay for Bosko and Honey!! :D

Ah, so thats who they are. Thanks for posting this. My wife and I were watching vids of Max the Ukulele Punk Rocker(who is just classic btw), and we stumbled upon Bosko and Honey with Max. We were wondering what the video was all about. The trio performed an awesome version of the Cure's Love Song with Max's signature foot tambourine percussion.

For those who don't know about them here's the link of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcBQ02g25M&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/user/maxevancejpn

(Another small interview in RC Magazine, enjoy!:nana:)

Original text in Japanese, translated from Rolling Coconuts Magazine #40, by UkeNinja for the Ukulele Underground community. If there are any problems with copyright, let me know and I will take the text off the internets.

We found out that it's a terrible job to edit footage when you are on the road! (laughs)

Rolling Coconuts is keeping track of them! Bosko & Honey, who are in the middle of a project where they travel all over the world to meet ukulele people: the Ukulele Safari. Having wrapped up their US tour, we asked the two about their thoughts on the trip when they had just arrived back in their base camp in Japan.

R.C. First of all, how are you now that the first half is finished?
BOSKO It's even more fun than we could imagine. This trip is a highlight in our lives.
R.C. Gerald Ross, Peter "Madcat" Ruth, The Fabulous Heftones... the videos on your site and on Youtube are so interesting!
BOSKO But we still have a lot of footage we haven't been able to upload yet. We found out that it's a terrible job to edit footage when you are on the road! (laughs)
HONEY Most of the time we would stay one night with our interview subject, and travel the next...
R.C. In the videos, your performances with the local artists are all perfect, did you have time to rehearse beforehand?
BOSKO Not at all. We have to start arranging the song right after we meet, but it has never been a problem.
R.C. Are there very little people that do instrumentals on the mainland?
HONEY Most people sing. However, there were people doing instrumentals, influenced by Jake Shimabukuro. John Brown and other did that.
R.C. Ah, John Brown's ukulele is a very rare brand in Japan, isn't it?
BOSKO That ukulele... I think it is probably a Dave Talsma.
R.C. It's so much fun even to just watch the ukuleles that make their appearance in the videos. The Safari videos are really good! We look forward to the Europe edition as well!
BOSKO First we will do our best to conclude the American part (laughs).

HH, dig in your closet and send me a picture when you find it, I'll give it a go. Just how long back is this???

P.S. In the back of the issue it says about availability: "[USA] Ukulele Puapua, Elderly Instruments, Ukulele World, Alternate tunings, Koaloha Ukulele, Ukulele supply of Hawaii / [UK] The 5th Frets, The Ukulele Shop / [Germany] Ukulele24.de / [France] Juste Codes", so there are a few foreign sources as well apparently.

UkeNinja, thanks for posting the translations. I watched their earlier videos again and just can't help laughing when Max pumps it up at time 3:50 in Episode 1. He's so crazy!

Just how long back is this???

The pic was taken in Seattle during Petty Booka's Christmas Tour on December 15, 2003 (not quite a month after I got my Glyph). You can see the pic on the pics page of my website.

I'm guessing it was the January 2004 issue that it appeared in. Or somewhere near there. Is it a monthly?

Top Bottom