Ibanez UEW30RWE

Rich T

Reaction score
Hi all,
While surfing the web, and checking out ukes, I came across this Ibanez:
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UEW30RWE
Anybody know anything about this particular uke? I'm hoping somebody will convince me it's a piece of junk, so I'll quit lusting after it.

FWIW, the other uke I'm considering is the Kala thinline concert travel uke. I came sooo close to clicking the "buy it now" button just a few minutes ago.

Thanks!

Hello Rich T, let me be the first among many to tell you that this is a piece of junk.
Ibanez makes guitars for a reason, they are good at it.
They dont make ukes because they dont really know how.
I have had the honor of playing one of these and they have horrid intonation.
Ibanez should stick to guitars.

The store I work at carries the Ibanez line among others. So far I've tried out the UKS10 (which is just terrible), the UKC10 (again, pretty bad), the UEW20SG and UEW10QM (neither impressed me) and finally the UIC10BK Iceman (which, out of all of their ukes I've played, is actually not too bad). Keep in mind that all their ukes except for the Iceman come with GHS strings (Iceman comes with Aquilas) so that certainly doesn't help the sound (they all sound very dull to me). I haven't tried the UEW30RWE but I'm guessing it won't be very good. I know my store does have one on order though so once we get it in I can report back.

Maybe they sound bad because, according to their web-site blurb, they are strung with nylon strings from the 1800's. I quote: "The sweet-toned, nylon-stringed ukulele originated in 19th century Hawaii".
Thanks Nuprin and Chris for your input. Sounds like the beauty of those Ibanez ukes might just be skin deep.

Maybe they sound bad because, according to their web-site blurb, they are strung with nylon strings from the 1800's. I quote: "The sweet-toned, nylon-stringed ukulele originated in 19th century Hawaii".
Thanks Nuprin and Chris for your input. Sounds like the beauty of those Ibanez ukes might just be skin deep.
being a guitarist, i would love to own a Ibanez ukulele but right now they have not put in the R and D to make a product that is really worth it.
Maybe one day they will but for now I would stay away from ibanez ukes.
And Nuprin it would be cool to hear about the iceman when it comes in, maybe you will get a good one.

being a guitarist, i would love to own a Ibanez ukulele but right now they have not put in the R and D to make a product that is really worth it.
Maybe one day they will but for now I would stay away from ibanez ukes.
And Nuprin it would be cool to hear about the iceman when it comes in, maybe you will get a good one.

Sorry, should have been more clear...we're getting the Rosewood (UEW30RWE) in. We already have the Icemans in. I ended up buying one completely for their looks...wanted to get a uke drastically different from the rest of mine. The Aquilas really help out. I do not think it's worth $150 but, as an employee, I got mine at cost (what Ibanez sells them to my store for). I'll probably end up selling it as I never play it but it doesn't sound too bad. Problem is, my store has an unwritten rule that I have to keep possession of the instrument for at least a year before I can sell it (that way people aren't buying things at cost and then making money by selling them). So, looks like I'll be holding on to it for another 10 months.

Ibanez makes pretty ukes, but the Kala thinline is probably a better uke in almost every way. I'm consistently impressed by how good the thinlines sound!

Ibanez makes pretty ukes, but the Kala thinline is probably a better uke in almost every way. I'm consistently impressed by how good the thinlines sound!

I want the concert thinline bad. I know the thinline tenor is available with a pickup- and even though
i really don't need an electric, I'm hoping they'll come out with an electric concert before I pull the trigger.

Just to add another opinion to the thread:

I have owned both the quilted maple version of the same uke and the Iceman ukulele. Both ukuleles had perfect intonation, even better than some of the pricey handmade ukes I have played/owned. Their sound was fine. The sound just did not pop out and offer the wow factor that all ukulele players long to hear, but I thought they were exceptional for their price point. The fit/finish was outstanding for the price. I would say that the more pricey Ibanez ukes are well worth their price and offer a great entry level instrument.

Just to add another opinion to the thread:

I have owned both the quilted maple version of the same uke and the Iceman ukulele. Both ukuleles had perfect intonation, even better than some of the pricey handmade ukes I have played/owned. Their sound was fine. The sound just did not pop out and offer the wow factor that all ukulele players long to hear, but I thought they were exceptional for their price point. The fit/finish was outstanding for the price. I would say that the more pricey Ibanez ukes are well worth their price and offer a great entry level instrument.

Did you change the strings or just use the factory strings? I think Aquilas would make a huge difference (which might be why I like the Iceman...comes stock with Aquilas). The GHS strings sound so dull to me, thereby making their ukes sound bad. I should point out that the intonation on most of their ukes (not counting their $50 soprano) is usually really good.

All that being said, I still think that Lanikais and Kalas are better ukes in the same price range. Just my two cents.

The ones I have played must have been lemons, Im really suprised about how much other uuers like them,
maybe its time to get one...

I own a Ibanez UKC10 and I have been overall happy with it. Granted I am a novice, however I think I have a fair idea of quality. The ukulele I own is simple but very playable. It sounds good to my ear, stays in tune remarkably well, and looks nice. Compared to a high end instrument I'm sure that it falls short but for a beginner, like me, it is perfect. I got it for about $70 online and I think that is an excellent price for an instrument that I will be able to practice on for a long time until I will need something better.

Top Bottom