Intro's Section?

KiLO

Reaction score
Hey guys... I was thinking it might be cool to have a separate forum where people can start their own threads for introducing themselves. I didn't see that there was just a thread for introductions, so I accidentally started a thread in the "Beginners" section, and I realize now that's taboo.

Maybe there could be a section called "Introductions," say under "Site Suggestions." There people could go and just start their own threads to introduce themselves.

I dunno... just a thought. I also understand though why you guys just have a single thread, cause it keeps it clean.

Anyway, just my .000002 cents :D

Miles

Do you mean this thread is being filtered out by your internet service provider? It does contain some info related to national security...

why would you need a whole thread to introduce yourself when you can do the same thing in the introduction thread. we cant do that, because the new post section would be filled with introductions that could all fit in one thread

I like the existing intro-thread. From time to time, I'll go back through it because I think it's interesting to see where people's skills and mindset were when they joined compared to now. For many it has only been a couple of months, yet the progress they are making is remarkable.

On the other hand, I could see how somebody might feel like they may get 'lost in the shuffle' of such a large existing thread. I mean, we're not 'processing' people here, right?

I don't think we need an additional forum/section just for introductions. I also don't feel that we should be kicking the new guy who decided to start a new thread to say 'hello' by making him feel like he 'must' post his intro in thread XYZ or be corrected by the nearest sentry.

"But we don't want to clutter up the forums with these threads when we already have a devoted thread for this!!" We have a thread about twinkies and another about Charlie the Unicorn for crying out loud -- with a friggin 5-star rating!! And we're worried about a new thread from a new and excited uke player?? are you kidding me??

. . . . . . okay, so maybe it got away from me a little :rolleyes:

I don't care how the new guy gets here, or from which section he makes his presence known, as long as our family grows. Making a newcomer feel welcome is a big part of why this site has become so successful.

</rant>

Have fun!

Sorry, maybe it's too early for me to be making suggestions :D

And Fred, for the record, I'm familiar with search and use it often. :D

I don't care how the new guy gets here, or from which section he makes his presence known, as long as our family grows. Making a newcomer feel welcome is a big part of why this site has become so successful.

That's kind of all I'm getting at. Making people feel like they belong somewhere like this.

I run a board at http://www.motoringunderground.com, so trust me, I know where you guys are coming from, and I totally respect what's being said. We have a huge membership, so it made sense for us to have a separate section devoted to introductions. New people would start a new thread, post a photo of their car or whatever, and say hi. Everyone would welcome them and it's cool... Makes sense. Maybe it doesn't make sense on a smaller board like this, and that's totally cool. :D

I apologize if you found my post out of line. I will keep my mouth shut in the future. :D

Thank you guys for the work you put into running UU.

Peace!

I didn't see that there was just a thread for introductions, so I accidentally started a thread in the "Beginners" section, and I realize now that's taboo.

Hey Kilo... it happens. I did the same thing by mistake. Sometimes threads don't pop up even through searches so you go with the next closest thread. Lesson learned by both of us. lol

Top Bottom