Absents makes it sound better

Keef

Reaction score
I have had company over for about a week so I haven't really played the uke in a while. Tonight I picked up the scepter took a deep breath and started to play and it seemed to sound sweeter than ever. What do you make of this?

I have had company over for about a week so I haven't really played the uke in a while. Tonight I picked up the scepter took a deep breath and started to play and it seemed to sound sweeter than ever. What do you make of this?

That you'd forgotten how good it sounded with a week away!

Did you tune it before playing...sometimes the tuning drops as it sits for periods of time, and it sounds sweeter then....
I'd suggest you pull out your tuner, and jot down the tunings for future reference...

What's a tuner? LOL :)
I tune it using the iPhone app ukulele girls

What's a tuner? LOL :)
I tune it using the iPhone app ukulele girls
You've got to be kidding Man!!!..he he
Get yourself a real tuner...for one who has a top of the line KoAloha, you can afford one...
Get a digital clip on chromatic clip on tuner....Mine is a Cherub WST 550-C ...google it!! Only $15.99
Not only for tuning but for jotting down tunings when your ukulele sounds the best....for future reference and tuning...
Also for Adjusted tunings it comes in Handy.....Good Luck!!!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
Does an electronic tuner make that much difference over tuning by ear ?

My ears can't be trusted to be that accurate. Having a tuner clipped to the headstock makes it pretty convenient, especially when new strings are settling in, and I'm walking around the house with a uke.

Good to hear from you, Keef.

Does an electronic tuner make that much difference over tuning by ear ?
For many, Yes..for pinpoint accuracy...Also as mentioned above...it has other purposes too...such as recording exact pitches in tunings
For future reference...you can put it in numbers...(something you cannot do by ear)
It's also fast and deadly accurate...and no more tuning fustration..
Believe me, it'll be the best tuning investment you'll ever make...
But there are soo many brands, just like ukuleles....Make sure to choose the right one.....4U
Good Luck and Happy Tunings!!

Not to kijack the thread or cause too much of a stink but the Cleartune app for the iPhone is amazingly accurate. I have tried numerous ones and keep coming back to that one. I have a couple of clip-on tuners but don't even bother with them.

Tuning by ear is trial and error for me I take it to high then back off then back up then put it in the middle the uke girls graphics are great you just touch each girl and she plucks the string and it has a switch for high and low g

I just tuned it using uke girls until it was right on then I down loaded the iPhone app cleartune and learned that what I thought was dead on was just a little low of the mark on each string.
Very cool app. Thanks for the heads up

Lol the discussion has completely changed i can just about tune by ear now but I use an android phone app gstrings it's very accurate

Absents? As in those who are not present? Or absence? As in missing something that makes the heart grow fonder?

I believe that absinthe makes the uke sound louder.

Beat me to it! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I first read Keef's post.

I noticed my mis SpELt title right away but I decided to leave it unchanged knowing that soon captian grammer would swoop in and have some fun with it :)

Aldrine uses a tuner.....

I noticed my mis SpELt title right away but I decided to leave it unchanged knowing that soon captian grammer would swoop in and have some fun with it :)

dude! I'm still amazed that you do all this on your iPhone! Grammar? We don't need no stinkin' grammar!

I just bought a lap top but I'm to thrifty to buy Internet service I'm going to use it to edit my uke video then go somewhere where I can get free wifi so I can down load it to you tube :)

Top Bottom