B7 = Angry Index Finger

ArachneDefiant

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I hope you all have been having an awesome week.

I have a silly question. I know B7 is a pretty basic chord, but I just cannot hold my uke so that I am able to get a clear sound from all the strings, especially the E and A strings. I've looked online to see if there's a picture of how people are holding their hands, but none are terribly clear.

Does anyone have some advice on how to get a nice clear B7? Right now, I am about 5 seconds from replacing my finger with some sort of straight object (a ruler would be nice and also helpful for knitting) that will hold down all the strings eveningly. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for your help, and good luck to everyone.

Mahalo,
Andrea H.

Practice.....it'll happen.

Hey everybody! I hope you all have been having an awesome week.

I have a silly question. I know B7 is a pretty basic chord, but I just cannot hold my uke so that I am able to get a clear sound from all the strings, especially the E and A strings. I've looked online to see if there's a picture of how people are holding their hands, but none are terribly clear.

Does anyone have some advice on how to get a nice clear B7? Right now, I am about 5 seconds from replacing my finger with some sort of straight object (a ruler would be nice and also helpful for knitting) that will hold down all the strings eveningly. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for your help, and good luck to everyone.

Mahalo,
Andrea H.
Aloha Andrea,
Which B7 you're using, I assume you're using 2322...and barring the second fret with your index finger...an easy way to rest the ukulele on your lap and hold the headstock close to your left cheek
at a steep angle so you don't have that uncomfortable angle on your wrist....another way is to use an different alternative B7...4320.....I hope it helps, Good Luck!!MM Stan

I know what you mean. I was also having a very hard time with d7 and after a lot of practice. It was finally coming out clean... My sons guitar teacher, told me when holding the chord strum each chord one at a time to figure out where the issue is and then work on correcting position when you figure out which string is the problem is.. I have had to shift my thumb around on the back of the neck a lot to figure out position...

PS Are you on Ravelry?

Be sure that your index finger *the finger your are barring across all the strings is inbetween the frets and not on top of one of them. I put the flat of my thumb and squeeze the neck between my thumb and index finger. Practice the Bm7 first (index finger barred across all the strings and get that clean, then move on to the B7

You need to get the proper placement of your thumb behind the neck to help you out. Mike DaSilva gave this advice on where to place the thumb...
Make the chord shape for B7, then place your thumb somewhere in the middle of the backside of the neck.
If you can firmly hold the ukulele with just your left hand, with the ukulele hanging from your hand in a vertical position, while holding the B7 chord shape, your thumb is in the right position. So... what you're looking for is a hand position that maximizes your strength, so move the thumb around a bit to see where it feels the easiest to hold. Then, work on building up your strength by practicing it regularly. This thumb position may vary depending on the chord, so bear that in mind.
–Lori

Hey FitnCrafty! Thanks so much for your advice. I think I'm just going to have to chip away at this, and your advice is spot on.

Yes, I am indeed on Ravelry, under the same handle. Feel free to friend me through there as well! :-D

Thanks for all the excellent advice, everyone! I will keep working on this and follow the suggestions you all have given. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

hi Andrea

I agree exactly with what fitncrafty said...

if you pick each string in isolation as you're barring the chord, you'll find just where the problem is and you can make adjustments accordingly

Barre chords are difficult for everyone at first, because your muscles just aren't used to being shaped that way with the extra pressure on the muscles, but also, hang in there, cause, like Sukie said, it will click one day and become easier the more you do it...your left index finger will get stronger over time.

Another (cheat!!!) way you can play the B7 is like this: 0656, basically a G7 shape starting at the 5th fret instead of the 1st.

Top Bottom