Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
Girlfriend hates the ukulele.

New Gf?
New instrument?

i'm sure she was nice & all - but w/ uke in hand you'll move on

Honestly? Then she's not a keeper. My husband of 21 years and I have very diverse interests but support each other in whatever it is we want to do. I know he couldn't care less about ukes but one day he called me up from work to tell me there was a program on a local radio show about Derick Sebastian.

I wasn't familiar with him but instantly became a fan.

http://www.dericksebastian.com/

All because my husband cares about what makes me happy, even if he jokingly calls it "that repulsive twangy thing of yours" sometimes. He even drove me to the Cerritos uke festival a couple weekends ago because he knew I didn't want to drive or go alone. :)

So I'd say it's one thing for her not to be into the uke herself, but another to treat it as something hated she doesn't want you to do.

Is she human?

But in all seriousness, I agree with itsme. A certain dislike is understandable but going as far as hating it isn't completely necessary. Whatever happened to tolerance? Are there specific things she doesn't like about it or is it just ukulele in general?

Last edited:
Aloha Matt,
1)Girlfriend makes you unhappy
2)Ukulele makes you happy
Is that a no brainer....or what??? only kiddding!!
I hope it works out for you...one way is to get her on the boat and get her a uke of her own, and when she gets hooked too, she'll see the whole picture and understand..
Anyways, whats the deal with Ko Aloha?????PM me..
MM Stan..

Wow. That's almost like saying ping pong isn't a real sport.
You need support and she's not giving it so, I'm sorry but I have to say she isn't "it".
Which/whoever you choose I wish you all the luck. :)

Thread needs pics of said girl and uke for side by side comparisons... sound samples too. :rofl:

Funny, my GF was with me when I picked up my Kelii. Prior to that, she thought of the uke as somewhat of a toy before and was bugging me for 'obsessing' over ukes ( I scour the internet ads etc everyday now lookin' for more ukes to add to the collection :D ).

I recently took the time to teach here some simple chords on the uke, she now can play 'Somewhere over the Rainbow" and her excitement for the uke is now palpable!
I almost have to book a time with her to play my own Ukes...LOL !!!

She now wants one ( that will change as the UAS sinks in ....he he ) of her own!

A testament to the amazing power of the uke!

Top Bottom