View Full Version : time for a new?

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Girlfriend hates the ukulele.

New Gf?
New instrument?

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
with a dieing passion I'll add..... What would you do? New partner? New instrument?

Let me know :)

mplozzer
10-16-2010, 08:06 PM
i'm sure she was nice & all - but w/ uke in hand you'll move on

Pippin
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
My wife loves my ukes. She now has a solid Hawaiian koa uke of her own and all she does is smile when she starts strumming... and she adores me.

itsme
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Honestly? Then she's not a keeper. My husband of 21 years and I have very diverse interests but support each other in whatever it is we want to do. I know he couldn't care less about ukes but one day he called me up from work to tell me there was a program on a local radio show about Derick Sebastian.

I wasn't familiar with him but instantly became a fan.

http://www.dericksebastian.com/

All because my husband cares about what makes me happy, even if he jokingly calls it "that repulsive twangy thing of yours" sometimes. He even drove me to the Cerritos uke festival a couple weekends ago because he knew I didn't want to drive or go alone. :)

So I'd say it's one thing for her not to be into the uke herself, but another to treat it as something hated she doesn't want you to do.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
^ must be love :)

Nebs
10-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Is she human?

But in all seriousness, I agree with itsme. A certain dislike is understandable but going as far as hating it isn't completely necessary. Whatever happened to tolerance? Are there specific things she doesn't like about it or is it just ukulele in general?

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-16-2010, 09:08 PM
she doesn't mind the guitar, just hates the ukulele.

"play a real instrument"

crack it over someones head and see if it generates some real pain !

mm stan
10-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Aloha Matt,
1)Girlfriend makes you unhappy
2)Ukulele makes you happy
Is that a no brainer....or what??? only kiddding!!
I hope it works out for you...one way is to get her on the boat and get her a uke of her own, and when she gets hooked too, she'll see the whole picture and understand..
Anyways, whats the deal with Ko Aloha?????PM me..
MM Stan..

Nebs
10-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow. That's almost like saying ping pong isn't a real sport.
You need support and she's not giving it so, I'm sorry but I have to say she isn't "it".
Which/whoever you choose I wish you all the luck. :)

GreatGazukes
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM

New Gf?
New instrument?

And you're asking this on a ukulele forum???, Try here (http://www.gocougar.com/) instead;)

Lexxy
10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Hmm..I think she should support you and your love for the uke, regardless. It's all bout love :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
hahha, nobody has voted !! I'm not gonig to actually decide based on what this thread shows.... I'm just saying :P

for fun ! relax, vote :)

SuperSecretBETA
10-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Thread needs pics of said girl and uke for side by side comparisons... sound samples too. :rofl:

dnewton2
10-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Thread needs pics of said girl and uke for side by side comparisons... sound samples too. :rofl:

Thats what I was thinking,

Hippie Dribble
10-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Thats what I was thinking,

can't disagree...

:pics:

Mr Bill
10-17-2010, 04:17 AM
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97/mrbill67/PicPlease.gif

haole
10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Threaten to switch to bagpipes or didgeridoo.

kissing
10-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Both lol. C'mon people, why choose if you can have both :D

bobby b
10-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Funny, my GF was with me when I picked up my Kelii. Prior to that, she thought of the uke as somewhat of a toy before and was bugging me for 'obsessing' over ukes ( I scour the internet ads etc everyday now lookin' for more ukes to add to the collection :D ).

I recently took the time to teach here some simple chords on the uke, she now can play 'Somewhere over the Rainbow" and her excitement for the uke is now palpable!
I almost have to book a time with her to play my own Ukes...LOL !!!

She now wants one ( that will change as the UAS sinks in ....he he ) of her own!

A testament to the amazing power of the uke!

cletus
10-17-2010, 07:30 AM
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97/mrbill67/PicPlease.gif

More info.

wheelgunner
10-17-2010, 08:34 AM

New Gf?
New instrument?
That's like saying she doesn't cry when Old Yeller dies. Tain't human.

allanr
10-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Time for both. Trade the girlfriend in for a new ukulele.

Lori
10-17-2010, 09:30 AM
she doesn't mind the guitar, just hates the ukulele.

"play a real instrument"

crack it over someones head and see if it generates some real pain !
There are ukuleles that sound more like a guitar (Flukes) ... so you might want to try one of those. Maybe your uke needs more mellow strings, like Worth Browns. If there is too much "bark" to the ukulele, it can be annoying. So, it might not be all ukuleles that are the problem. An electric uke sounds more like a guitar too, so maybe you can find something that has lower tones (tenors, mango wood, koa, low G tuning, baritones) and stay away from sopranos with spruce or maple tone woods.
Playing style and song genre has a big effect too. Maybe she doesn't like the type of songs you are playing. You can play almost any style you like on the ukulele. Maybe fingerpicking style would impress her. There are easy classical arrangements for the ukulele too.
–Lori

mm stan
10-17-2010, 09:41 AM
There are ukuleles that sound more like a guitar (Flukes) ... so you might want to try one of those. Maybe your uke needs more mellow strings, like Worth Browns. If there is too much "bark" to the ukulele, it can be annoying. So, it might not be all ukuleles that are the problem. An electric uke sounds more like a guitar too, so maybe you can find something that has lower tones (tenors, mango wood, koa, low G tuning, baritones) and stay away from sopranos with spruce or maple tone woods.
Playing style and song genre has a big effect too. Maybe she doesn't like the type of songs you are playing. You can play almost any style you like on the ukulele. Maybe fingerpicking style would impress her. There are easy classical arrangements for the ukulele too.
–Lori

Aloha Matt,
Maybe Lori has a point there, maybe your ukes are too bright and crisp for her ears....and you may need a deeper richer sound....maybe a baritone...(close to guitar)eh!!!
STGC.....That's Save the Girlfriend Club...LOL... Good Luck Man!!!

molokinirum
10-18-2010, 05:32 AM
LOL...this is a no brainer!! (new GF!!)

Jerlial Prophet
10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Is it really a "me or the Uke" scenario? I know the thread is for fun but is it that serious in real life? If so, that seems crazy. Is she embarassed by you and that you play an instrument she doesn't consider "real?" That is awfully condescending, not just to you, but to the entire ukulele community. Anyway, I would think a "real" girlfriend would be at least tolerant of your hobby if not supportive.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
she really hates it, swears and everything lmfaoo. psycho. I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?
I still play it, tbh, I don't care what she says, I just play it louder when she's still asleep.

dkcrown
10-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Are you kidding? Tell her that you're buying ANOTHER uke and send her packing. You shouldn't have a hard time replacing her. Most women dig men who play the uke.:)

Kanin
10-19-2010, 02:37 AM
New instrument will cheer you up when you break up with her? just kidding haha!

eleukeusa
10-19-2010, 05:18 AM
she really hates it, swears and everything lmfaoo. psycho. I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?
I still play it, tbh, I don't care what she says, I just play it louder when she's still asleep.

Sounds like you've already decided. Here's a solution:
1. Get an EleUke
2. Get a very large amp
3. Plug #1 into #2
4. Turn the amp up to 11 and rock out until she leaves

UkuleleHill
10-19-2010, 05:33 AM
If she can't accept you with your Uke... She won't ever accept you...

France
10-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Try to find a link somewhere that says Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp plays the uke. She'll be all over it like a rash, telling all her friends how cool you are. If she still doesn't bite...gone.

DeG
10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
You can quit her, you can never escape from the uke!

monty
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Hahaha... if she hates it that much... how bad is your playing?!?
Just joking, my gf hates how much time I spend trolling around looking for deals or just reading about the instrument itself, but she enjoys when I actually play it so I guess i'm one of the lucky ones :)
Hang in there buddy, give it some time, i'm sure she'll warm to the sweet sweet tones.

70sSanO
10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?

Well Kanile'a took your problem uke back, why don't send her to Kanile'a and see if you can get one that doesn't buzz everytime you play.

John

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 04:55 PM
The issue is communication, not your playing of the ukulele. Itsme hit the nail on the head about her and her husband's diverse interests. My wife and will celebrate our 36th anniversary next month. Here's our situation and how we've stuck together:

We are political opposites:

We discuss all issues and candidates and compromize, or agree to disagree.
We respect each other's opinions and move forward.

We enjoy different styles of music:

We talk to each other about things like volume, hours and times of playing our styles
(me on my instruments and her on the stereo. I make most of the compromize here,
as she's been a wonderful soulmate and mother to aur babies).

Time management:

I use a day planner. I have always penned in my work and pencilled in my hobbies.
My wife and daughters can always pencil in their desires into my planner and they
could always feel free to request I scratch both penned in work and penciled in
hobbies, to consider other commitments. Sometimes I've agreed and others I've not.
There's mutual respect, set by the willingness to compromise.

Organization:

I'm by nature unorganized and my wife's extremely organized. I started using a day
planner many years ago as a compromize and solution to my own deficiencies. It's
a time proven winner in our relationship.

Family:

All three of my daughters and all of my grandaughters are musicians. They have each
chosen their own instruments and my wife loves that bond between myself and the girls
(all married, now). We gained our first grandson in January of this year and you can
bank on the fact that grandpa (me!) will make sure that he achieves his musical wants
and goals.

Here are some photos of my 4 year old grandaughter, when she was just a little over 1 year old:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320music17.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320music16.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320music11.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320music12.jpg

By the way. My baby daughter's husband is a Navy Hospitalman Corpsman. He was serving with a Marine unit in Afghanistan when those photos were taken.

The bottom line, you and your GF need to communicate what is really tweeking her. Ric

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320music22.jpg

itsme
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
My wife and will celebrate our 36th anniversary next month.
Congrats! :)

And your grandaughter's a real cutie. You sound like a wonderful grandpa. :D

mackie
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM

if she loves you more than she hates the ukulele, she'll learn to live with it.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
i give up on good quality cameras.... but here is the $600 camera I own.... at it's peak..
let me know, first take with the uke..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHd6nX5cUI

RyRod
10-20-2010, 02:37 AM
If you play like that, there shouldn't be a problem. It's her...

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-20-2010, 02:50 AM
mahalo :)
:)

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-20-2010, 02:53 AM
hmm... need to play it a bit more, I actually tried to get my head in the video, but it never works... hahahaha....

ytmr
10-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Saying the uke isn't a real instrument? She's not the one.

ogikloavailable
10-20-2010, 03:19 AM
New partner,then teach her how to uke. That's happiness :D
Now you have both,perfect!!

cocohonk
10-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow, that's a lovely sounding ukulele. Maybe your girlfriend is just jealous that you have such a lovely ukulele, and when you're not around, she's secretly strumming the heck out of it. :D