Ever gotten the impression that a certain uke is yours?

haolejohn

Reaction score
As some of you know, I have gone through some life altering experiences (not a sex change or a divorce but am expecting my first child as well as furlough days) and I was debating thinning out the herd since one can only play one uke at a time. Anyways, I haved some nice ukes. I'm not going to brag but I do. Getting rid of one isn't the easiest thing to do. So after much thought and prayer (yes, I actually pray about these things) I asked for a sign on what path I should take.

I attended the Uketoberfest hosted by ukuleleblues in South Carolina yesterday 10/16 with DeG and got to meet some really cool ukers (scarecrow and mim) as well as some other really cool ukers (Charleston Hotshots and Yesterukes) and I was taking out my two ukes that I had decided to sell. As I took the Kamaka with curly koa out of it's case, I couldn't help but notice a ding in the lower side. This ding pretty much was the sign I was looking for. I have no idea how it got in the uke since I am fairly careful with them but I knew that I would not be able to get the price I wanted for it. So I suppose that my prayer was answered. It seems that neither uke was going to be for sale. It seems that the Kamaka is destined to be mine (even though it is my 4th favorite uke). Have you ever felt that a certain uke is yours no matter how bad you want to let it go away?

I thought about selling one of my ukuleles once, but after playing it again, decided against it. I thought I might sell my first uke, the tenor Mango Kala, but after playing it (it sounds so good in low G), and the sentimental attachment, well... you know...
I don't name them, but I still get attached.
–Lori

Aloha John,
Even my entry level ukes I have a sentimental attachment to them not only to keep but to play daily as I enjoy them too.
Am I becoming a collector of ukes or even worse a hoarder of them??? Not Sure....Hmmmm.....MM Stan..

Aloha John,
Even my entry level ukes I have a sentimental attachment to them not only to keep but to play daily as I enjoy them too.
Am I becoming a collector of ukes or even worse a hoarder of them??? Not Sure....Hmmmm.....MM Stan..

It happens. My first uke was given away to a family memeber. My 2nd-10th ukes are all gone. It took me to get to my 11th uke before I began keeping. LOL!! Oh well...

I think its a sign that you should sell me your pineapple sunday for a song. ;)

The PS is gone. That is how I got my Kamaka.

Heresy!!! I knew that you had sold away the Pineapple Sunday, but for a Kamaka?! And not even a vintage Pineapple Kamaka at that?!? I think you must give me your Sceptre to atone for this transgression!

(I'll see you at Cool Beans, Wednesday, bucko!)

When I was just 'thinking' of buying a uke. There was this beautiful luna hanging on the wall behind the counter.... It was WAY out of my price range for someone never having played the uke. I bought a $60 Samick instead. Well 2 weeks ago, my husband bought me that uke. I love it. I am still a beginner but its mine notheless... I had to have that ukulele.
Glad that you figured it all out, and best of luck with the baby coming. They are wonderful and change your life. I am sure that you will incorporate your playing into life as a parent. My babies are 14,10 and 8. they love music I wish I could have played for them when they were young. (I can actually do toddler songs!)

I seem to have had that feeling that the Ukes I have now were meant to be mine, all three of them, even Astrid and I could never think of parting with any of them!

Good Luck on your new baby arriving and I hope everything goes well. It is such a blessing to have a child, and as you and others have said, your life will change, but it's for the better!

Haolejohn,
what ukes are still in your collection now?
It seems like it is easier to acquire than to let them go.

Haolejohn,

Yes, talk about devine intervention. I went to Hawaii on a trip with the money to buy a KoAloha Tenor. Went everywhere (except KoAloha Factory) and there were none to be had. Stopped in the last store in Maui, looking around for a KoAloha Tenor, they had none but they showed me a Kamaka Tenor. I played it, loved it, it felt really good in my hands. The owners took off a % from the price. I was thinking, wow what a deal.......but I wanted a KoAloha. Then they gave me a free hard case for it and an extra set of strings!!!!! SOLD! This is my favorite uke, will never part with it and in retospect it was meant to be!!!!

Haolejohn,
My collection has dwindled down from a high of 15 to just:
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre (with crown bridge:))
KoAloha pikake concert
KoAloha long neck soprano
Mainland red cedar concert (beater uke)
Kamaka HF-3 tenor
3 makala dolphins (loaners and classroom ukes)
It was easier to aquire but then I got my KoAloha addiction. It makes it much more difficult to aquire:)

Congratulations John! ( on the child, not thinning the herd)
I think I've gone well beyond collector in to the realm of hoarding, but I love them all even the cheap rather crummy ones and can't bring myself to get rid of any. They all have an individual character and sound and I enjoy playing each one.

I thought about selling one of my ukuleles once, but after playing it again, decided against it. I thought I might sell my first uke, the tenor Mango Kala, but after playing it (it sounds so good in low G), and the sentimental attachment, well... you know...
I don't name them, but I still get attached.
–Lori

And she keeps them on a short leash too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sold a few that I never played even though they were great ukes.
Hard to part with the little buggers though.

I was meant to have my new ukulele. We've only been together for 2 weeks but it's THE one. It's got flamingoes on it and everything! :-)

Anyone wanna buy a KoAloha concert?

I was meant to have my new ukulele. We've only been together for 2 weeks but it's THE one. It's got flamingoes on it and everything! :-)

Anyone wanna buy a KoAloha concert?

Sukie, Keep the koaloha for your trips where you might not want to take your new one. After seeing your new uke, I am going to have to get one.

Congratulations John! ( on the child, not thinning the herd)
I think I've gone well beyond collector in to the realm of hoarding, but I love them all even the cheap rather crummy ones and can't bring myself to get rid of any. They all have an individual character and sound and I enjoy playing each one.

Thanks. I am getting more and more excited.

Top Bottom