Nice Collings Uke at Acoustic Vibes

cletus

Reaction score
View attachment 16819

This little gem has been yanking my UAS chain lately. I'm really liking the concert size ukes both for size and sound.

Aloha Cletus,
I personally like concerts too....these Collins ukes are very light, do they have any bottom end tones....richer and warmer....the two things I like...MM Stan..
Btw...How much is it????..MM Stan...

Last edited:
View attachment 16819

This little gem has been yanking my UAS chain lately. I'm really liking the concert size ukes both for size and sound.

If possible, be sure to play one before you buy. I bought the upgraded model of this uke (Model UC2), but found it wasn't for me. The workmanship is first-rate, and the intonation is awesome. It's also a very loud instrument. But there was something about the tone that I never liked. When played finger style, the collings sound always seemed a bit harsh. When strummed, it lacking note separation and clarity. My other instruments are both custom tenor scale instruments in koa, so my ear is biased toward an entirely different sound. All of this is subjective - you may find you LOVE the sound of the Collings.
Mika

I'm not sure if you've ever seen the somewhat incomplete series of posts I did comparing a Mainland mahogany concert and a Collings UC-1. The final post consisted of a video of both ukuleles played back to back. I had intended to follow up by commenting on their sound and wrapping up the comparison, but I wasn't really sure how to word sound comparisons so I just thought I'd let the reader form their own conclusions. Here are the posts. Note that the blog shows the posts in reverse order.

Over the past 6 months or so, I have only tested out 3 or 4 Collings, and I may be the only person on the planet, but I have not found one I liked that much. They are high quality instruments, but I just haven't one that clicked for me. They are very well made.

At Tejon Music, Colorado Springs, Iwas able to compare Collings and their own Palm Tree ukuleles. I was quite impressed the Palm Tree ukuleles I tried out.

John

i was looking at that dog hair uke just the other day. is it me or does it look like the sticker inside the sound hole is off-center? there's a few different views of it there so i'm not sure it's just camera angle creating the illusion that it's off-center. how much would that rot your socks to get a 2000 dollar uke and find that out? hehe..

You're right about the off center label - I noticed it too. UAS (must have doghair uke!) vs. OCD (omg - the label is out of kilter!) Probably a good thing the label is off center - it will prevent some tragic UAS purchase.

I guess I better throw in my two cents in since I was at AV playing Collings tenors yesterday. I've played several of them there over the last year or so.

They're very lightweight, loud and punchy, at least to my ear. Of course it depends on the woods, and Collings uses several. I played two different mahogany ones yesterday that I really liked. The workmanship is very nice and they are beautiful to look at. Probably the only reason I haven't bought one already is that they have a slight radius to the fretboard (which is not my preference, but is a positive to many). Well, that and a certain Kanilea K3.

And if you're in the market for a hand made (in the USA) mahogany tenor that isn't a custom, there aren't that many options.

there are more options than you think. you need to ask. i am having a pretty customized version done right now.

But that's why I'm saying 'that isn't a custom'. Like if you wanted to walk into a store today and buy a new solid mahogany tenor that is made in the USA. I'm just sayin, unless I'm forgetting someone, Collings is about it right now.

hijack sorta:

I went to AV about a year ago and that place is amazing. I have been saving for that Koaloha Black Label 6 string since I played it. Just checked the website and it is sold. Bummer.

I have to say that place is awsome. I have not been to s shop with a better selection of ukes yet.

So are you going to buy that Collings?

I have been saving for that Koaloha Black Label 6 string since I played it. Just checked the website and it is sold. Bummer.

That Koaloha was AMAZING! I was in there yesterday, and noticed it was gone...someone is very lucky to have taken that home!!!

~Michael

hijack sorta:

I went to AV about a year ago and that place is amazing.I have to say that place is awsome. I have not been to s shop with a better selection of ukes yet.
So are you going to buy that Collings?

IF I had the do-re-mi...IF there wasn't a concert neck KoAloha pineapple available then...IF .....

Actually, since I got my KoAloha concert, my UAS is largely in remission.

Top Bottom