If you were to have only one (1) ukulele

rreffner

Reaction score
What would you have? Assume you are willing to spend 600-800 dollars or less. You play daily (or almost daily) and you don't play professionally. You prefer fingerpicking. Pick-up is a maybe but you don't own an amp. Either high quality friction or geared tuners would be OK.

In the low-to-middle price-range, I'd take the Ohana CK-300G. Solid Hawaiian Koa and a solid performer to boot. It is great for finger-picking. Higher price-range, I'd go with a KoAloha concert.

Last edited:
If I could only have one ukulele, I'd probably pick the concert size. Given the $800 ceiling, I'd go with an MP style 4 concert if he's willing to build one with 18 frets. Otherwise a KoAloha concert.

800.00 = A Mainland Cedar Tenor and a Mainland Concert Mahogany, both with cases and pickups - maybe even an LR Baggs Paracoustic DI... That's a semi-pro rig for not that much swag, really. But all the brands and the "Ks" of course, once you past 600.00, offer great ukes that will last a lifetime when cared for!

My Kamaka pineapple-- I wouldn't trade it for the world!

It's a ridiculous question, but if that were the case, I'd have to go with a cheap uke that I wouldn't mind banging up. I'd go with a Makala Dolphin.

My Kamaka pineapple-- I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Yeah. Natalie's pineapple would be my choice too! I love that thing and sure wish one would come my way, in my price range, soon :)

Hmmmm... realistically though. I play daily, not professionally, and increasingly, fingerpicking and chord soloing rather than strumming. The main issue I've run into is buying an instrument that has more than 12 frets. With 14 frets, my Kamaka HF-1 soprano has been my daily player since the day it arrived, and I got it second-hand, with installed pickup, for under $500. But even with my little hands, getting to those high notes can be a challenge, so I have a feeling that a week from now after my Kamaka HF-2 Concert arrives I'd make that my first choice if I could have only one. Also bought used, it fell in the lower end of your price range.

I'd probably go with a factory second KoAloha Concert Sceptre. I love the Tenor Sceptre, but, like George, I also love the concert scale. The ironic part is that I don't own one yet. XD

I'll work on that...

If it were to be one of the ones I actually own it would be my Ohana SK35. I play it the most, and it is just a good simple uke.

If I were to choose one? It would be the KoAloha Pikake soprano. Well, because if I could ever afford the money for a KoAloha, I would spend it with them because I just like those people, and who they are, and what they are all about. As far as model, well, because it is a simple traditional uke.

I technically do only have one ukulele - I'm selling to because I don't play then, the one in the car is simply for the rare time I either forget my uke or stumble across some sing-a-round whilst out somewhere, and my other uke was my first "proper", bought by my parents.

So in effect my Mainland is my only uke, and I'm extremely pleased with it. If I had more money then I would certainly buy a Mya-Moe, tho.

My Kamaka tenor is the finest instrument I've ever played. Except one of James Hill's G Strings, I suppose.

For the price range, I'd have to stick with a KoAloha concert ukulele. There is a lot to love about them.
I'd be interested in a 'factory second' concert Scepter.
On a side note, I'm also interested to see how many folks are purchasing these 'seconds' from any of the manufacturers? And opinions on same?

I don't think I've spent $800 on ukes since I started playing and have 8 playable ukes and 6 or so in various states of repair/restoration so I think I'll stick with what I've got!
But as to your question, if I had to buy just one in that price range it would probably be a Koaloha concert, super concert, or tenor.

Top Bottom